Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury Sedan Comparo - Motor Trend - Sept. 2004

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-04 | 05:13 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default outdated?

Originally posted by SexySC
The GS430 is an outdated model about to be replaced & the A8L is brand new though.

The A8L is the most attractive looking sedan in it's segment now, but I 'd still have doubts about purchasing one if service, reliability & traditionally poor resale value are factored in.

You throw around the "outdated" word quite a bit. This is the second time in recent weeks you've refered to a beautiful car as outdated. You used the word outdated about my car. This is even worse, the current GS is going to be replaced but it hasn't yet. Almost sounds as though your attitude is, "I have the currnet model and you don't."

I think you should be careful about what you say, you don't know who may be offended. Besides, a true car enthusiast doesn't care too much about current models and all that. Yes, everyone likes a new car but it's more for the masses. Enthusiasts care about form, function, shape and presence. The current GS will never be outdated as long as cars drive on pavement.
You're entitled to your opinions I'm just suggesting a little thoughtfulness for your fellow CL members. LOL
Old 08-05-04 | 05:56 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

The GS is in fact outdated compared to their competitors & I think the vast majority of GS owners will acknowledge that, that doesn't take away from the fact they're the best in its class when it first came out. That's just natural progression, or else manufacturers will never have to introduce new models with new features of their cars. It's the same for models from every brand.
And if you are just talking about style, not features, everyone has their own subjective opinions. I think the current GS looks better than the previous E class, but not the new one, but what does that matter anyway for current GS owners as long as they still enjoy their cars. A car will look refreshed if you mod it tastefully, & that's what many people here do, but we are talking about the mass market here, not a narrow segment of car enthusiasts who mod their cars, when we are looking at total vehicles sales as well as comparison tests in magazines.

If you've read my other recent posts regarding the SC430, I'm not happy that Lexus have not upgraded the car since 2001either whereas the CLK's & SL's get new transmissions, etc, making the SC looks left behind.

As for being sensitive to fellow members, why didn't you post in objection to a recent post in the SC400 forum regarding the hardtop convertible conversion of the SC400, in which one member claim "looks much better than the SC430 IMO", I've read it & I didn't feel any urge to jump on him as he is entitled to his opinions especially on something as subjective as looks.

I don't know how you interpret this term, but regardless, you've resurrected an argument in a subject totally unrelated to this thread, when previously, you claimed you know when to stop when a healthy debate starts to turn into an argument.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 08-05-04 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-05-04 | 09:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Default Re: outdated?

Originally posted by reggiek
You throw around the "outdated" word quite a bit. This is the second time in recent weeks you've refered to a beautiful car as outdated. You used the word outdated about my car. This is even worse, the current GS is going to be replaced but it hasn't yet. Almost sounds as though your attitude is, "I have the currnet model and you don't."

I think you should be careful about what you say, you don't know who may be offended. Besides, a true car enthusiast doesn't care too much about current models and all that. Yes, everyone likes a new car but it's more for the masses. Enthusiasts care about form, function, shape and presence. The current GS will never be outdated as long as cars drive on pavement.
You're entitled to your opinions I'm just suggesting a little thoughtfulness for your fellow CL members. LOL
ummm... with all due respect though, our cars are INDEED outdated..... the GS has been here since end of 97, it's been almost a good 8 yrs, i think outdated is warranted. that's why lexus change the style. the previous one is outdated, so they change it.

and the previous SC of course it's outdated. sorry but that's fact.

something outdated doesn't mean it's NOT beautiful. the ferrari 355 is outdated, but i love it. the e39 5 series is outdated a bit, but i love it.

i can see that you feel offended, but i don't think what sexy said was wrong. he cares about model, performance, quality, etc... but that doesn't avoid the word outdated
Old 08-05-04 | 03:40 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: outdated?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rominl

i can see that you feel offended,

I don't believe I'm offended. I was trying to be thoughtful of others who might be offended but won't say anything. I certainly didn't say I was. Thanks for being concerned though.

I guess we have different opinions. I'm sorry I went off the topic but enough has been said about it anyway. What's outdated is being dictated by manufacturers. A new model comes out and the previous one is outdated. Well, that's what you say. For me, I won't be conditioned that way. To me outdated is real rubber tires, steering column shifting, hubcaps, tailfins, 8-track music and cb radio.
It may have sounded like an attack but I was just giving an opinion and speaking up for the less vocal. meant what I said though. And here's more. The SC300/400 is the best looking car on the planet. The 2 gen GS is not far behind. They won't be outdated until cars are flying. Older yes, outdated no. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 08-05-04 | 06:57 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

This thread has obviously branched into many directions. The original topic got it's time anyway so it's all good.

As far as my opinion on 1st gen SC's and 2nd Gen GS's being outdated, I guess I agree to both sides of the argument to a certain degree.

Definition: \Out*dat"ed\, a. Being out of date; antiquated.

adj : old; no longer in use or valid or fashionable; "obsolete words"; "an obsolete locomotive"; "outdated equipment"; "superannuated laws"; "out-of-date ideas"

I think "outdated" is probably the wrong word to use for our cars especially by those definitions.
The SC400/300 and current GS are still one of the two most beautiful cars on the road regardless
of age. There's very few visual elements of these cars that one might say are "outdated". The only
cars that actually date these cars are new high end cars. Lower priced cars still don't look as good
even at 12 years newer. Technically, there are certainly advancements in new luxury cars that also
date the older SC's and GS's. This is progress and cannot be stopped or denied. This doesn't mean
our cars are no good anymore. We all know that these Lexus cars are standing up better with age than
anything from MB or BMW from the same period. There's plenty of good reasons to remain prideful of our older Lexus cars.

Old 08-05-04 | 10:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Default Re: Re: Re: outdated?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by reggiek
Originally posted by rominl

i can see that you feel offended,

I don't believe I'm offended. I was trying to be thoughtful of others who might be offended but won't say anything. I certainly didn't say I was. Thanks for being concerned though.

I guess we have different opinions. I'm sorry I went off the topic but enough has been said about it anyway. What's outdated is being dictated by manufacturers. A new model comes out and the previous one is outdated. Well, that's what you say. For me, I won't be conditioned that way. To me outdated is real rubber tires, steering column shifting, hubcaps, tailfins, 8-track music and cb radio.
It may have sounded like an attack but I was just giving an opinion and speaking up for the less vocal. meant what I said though. And here's more. The SC300/400 is the best looking car on the planet. The 2 gen GS is not far behind. They won't be outdated until cars are flying. Older yes, outdated no. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
no harm done i agree it's both sides of a discussion, and it can go both ways depending on how you see it or how you define it.

just in case, i was only trying to make sure i stated my points (obviously), and make sure there is no fire started
Old 08-06-04 | 05:12 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: outdated?

Originally posted by rominl
no harm done i agree it's both sides of a discussion, and it can go both ways depending on how you see it or how you define it.

just in case, i was only trying to make sure i stated my points (obviously), and make sure there is no fire started

No problem. I can tell you're a cool guy. LOL
Old 08-06-04 | 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

So I guess the pre-Chris Bangle BMW's are "outdated", too?............you guys see the trouble that BMW has gotten itself into with this idea of change just for change's sake? I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Old 08-06-04 | 12:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: outdated?

Originally posted by reggiek
No problem. I can tell you're a cool guy. LOL
hehe, good to know i didn't just "made" another enemy