Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury Sedan Comparo - Motor Trend - Sept. 2004

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-04 | 07:24 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Default Luxury Sedan Comparo - Motor Trend - Sept. 2004

Check out the latest issue of Motor Trend for a nice comparison of todays finest V-8 luxury sedans in
the $75,000 area. Below are the players in order of their placings.

1st - Audi A8 L

2nd - Lexus LS430

3rd - Volkswagon Phaeton

4th - Mercedes S430

5th (tie) - Jaguar Vandan Plas (XJ)

5th (tie) - BMW 745i

The LS430 only lost 1st place due to it's weekness in the handling dept. although it's the 2nd quickest.

I just love seeing a VW beating a more expensive Benz, Bimmer, and Jag. Gotta love it!

Old 07-29-04 | 07:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

LOL 5th place 745iL. I'm not surprised. Especially after test driving one at the Lexus Taste of Luxury, that car is full of worthless gimmicks.
Old 07-29-04 | 08:15 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Kinda sucks to see my dream car drop to 2nd, but I guess the A8 would be my second choice so alright. Think about this though...how many times have you seen an A8L driving around? I think I've seen 2 ever.

James
Old 07-29-04 | 09:24 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

the 7 series would be a great drivers car if it wasnt needlessly complicated with technology. The last few tests that included BMWs have said the same thing, needlessly complicated idrive and other electronic systems. It was said about the 5 series against that cadillac sts. This is just ridiculous that BMW, a company who in the past has been all about the driver, is making cars with idrive that takes away from the driving experience. Why didnt they wake up and ditch idrive after the 7 series results? Does anyone know if Audi's reliability is as bad as VWs? These german car makers need to wake up. I feel like I'd buy an american car for reliability over them at this point. They may not have the same fit and finish. But the engines seem to be holding together pretty well these days. Of this group of cars, my choice would be the lexus, easily. Its a car thats been slightly tinkered over the years into a luxury masterpiece. And you just cant beat lexus reliability and quality. I say this is another win for lexus.
Old 07-29-04 | 10:13 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Gotta love toyota quality....
Old 07-29-04 | 10:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

if anything i am most happy about the 5th place for bimmer. they deserve it for the 7 series....
Old 07-29-04 | 10:40 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

The A8 to me it isn't a "production" car. It is a speciality built car delivered to journalists for testing and then it is put on the trailer to be rebuilt for the next press meet. I've seen 2 in the last 3 years...the odds are better that I'll spot a UFO, Elvis or Bruce Lee.

In my view, that makes the LS430 tops.

Last edited by RA40; 07-29-04 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-30-04 | 12:03 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jhenty
the 7 series would be a great drivers car if it wasnt needlessly complicated with technology. The last few tests that included BMWs have said the same thing, needlessly complicated idrive and other electronic systems. It was said about the 5 series against that cadillac sts. This is just ridiculous that BMW, a company who in the past has been all about the driver, is making cars with idrive that takes away from the driving experience. Why didnt they wake up and ditch idrive after the 7 series results? Does anyone know if Audi's reliability is as bad as VWs? These german car makers need to wake up. I feel like I'd buy an american car for reliability over them at this point. They may not have the same fit and finish. But the engines seem to be holding together pretty well these days. Of this group of cars, my choice would be the lexus, easily. Its a car thats been slightly tinkered over the years into a luxury masterpiece. And you just cant beat lexus reliability and quality. I say this is another win for lexus.
I too, would buy a american car over a german car. I think american car are more reliable than german cars. It's a good thing there's japanese cars like toyota, nissan, and honda. These are the only 3 car company I would trust and buy from.
Old 07-30-04 | 12:22 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jet864
Think about this though...how many times have you seen an A8L driving around? I think I've seen 2 ever.
Exactly. I'm not ashamed to say that I'd take an A8 before any of those other cars. When you're paying that much for a sedan, chances are you've got a garage with several filled spaces and can afford the compromise in reliability in exchange for the certain exclusivity that the A8 would provide.

And I mean "afford" in every respect. Money and convenience ought to both be expendable at this price/performance range.

It's not a family sedan. I bet there have never been baby seats or children EVER in the backseat of an A8 during the entire history of the car here in the US. I've seen one A8 and it had one elderly occupant.

Last edited by whipimpin; 07-30-04 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-30-04 | 01:14 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

The Lexus LS did an excellent job in the overall testing & yes the most funny thing is the BMW! They are getting hammered with the i-drive device & they are & will continue to pay the piper for it. I personally think the LS is the most classy of the lot....georgous car!
Old 07-30-04 | 04:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by flipside909
LOL 5th place 745iL. I'm not surprised. Especially after test driving one at the Lexus Taste of Luxury, that car is full of worthless gimmicks.

Some of the gimmicks on the new 7-series are even worse than worthless. They are so distracting and complex that they can lead to accidents.
Old 07-30-04 | 04:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb No big surprise for the A8.

The A8's AWD system has won a lot of people over in the auto press....even though the Phaeton has a similiar AWD system using many of the pieces from the same parts bin, VW combines the AWD with a somewhat softer chassis and steering setup than Audi does....and enthusiast magazines like Motor Trend usually, but not always, look for firmer packages , higher skidpad figures, quicker steering, etc.....when they give out Brownie points.

Obviously, though, the A8 probably will not have the LS430's reliability.
Old 07-30-04 | 05:12 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default comparo

Never thought I'd say this but after the Lexus, my second choice would be the Jag. Just can't imagine going German again and Jag has been improved by Ford. Still not all the way there yet but better than the Germans.
Old 07-30-04 | 06:01 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

The A8L is the best looking of the bunch, & more of a driver's car, but I still think the LS430 is the best overall (the Car & Driver's guys definately got it right). The S class is still a good looking sedan but starting to look a little outdated now, I still won't pick the Phaeton over it though. The 7 series deserves to be in the last place.
Old 07-30-04 | 07:24 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

I keep seeing black A8 L's around here and I LOVE how they look, very sharp car!

Quick Reply: Luxury Sedan Comparo - Motor Trend - Sept. 2004