Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

what do u guys think of the range rover

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-04, 10:00 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what do u guys think of the range rover

what do you guys think about the range rover, any experiences heard anything on reliability, thinking about purchasing one soon, some input would help since i have never owned one and never purchased one before
Old 07-30-04, 10:01 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Friend bought one a three or four months ago, said it's the worst vehicle he's ever owned. All sorts of stuff going wrong with it.
Old 07-30-04, 10:20 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

supposedly they're having trouble with the air suspension holding air on the new model. i think one lady was involved in an accident and died but i don't know for sure.
Old 07-30-04, 10:20 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Friend bought one a three or four months ago, said it's the worst vehicle he's ever owned. All sorts of stuff going wrong with it.
thanks for the quick reply, the only thing holding me back was the reliability and i dont know how the dealers deal with their vehicles problems, dont want to go out and blow eighty grand on some car that is gonna sit at the dealers half the year.
Old 07-30-04, 10:23 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

That's exactly what happened to him, plus the dealer service is HORRIBLE, at least at the one in Charlotte. They treat him like dirt and are not responsive at all.
Old 07-30-04, 10:27 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

so what do u guys recommend since the range rover is probably out of the question, dont really like the lexus one since this is a lexus forum, got to get something fun to drive even though it is an suv, the range rover i must admit was a blast to drive, but dont want to deal with reliability headaches.
Old 07-30-04, 10:28 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I'd look at an Infiniti FX45 or even a Subaru Forrester if you just need mild SUV capablities.
Old 07-30-04, 10:42 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

cayenne s
Old 07-30-04, 11:22 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you expect? Its owned by ford
Old 07-30-04, 11:23 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally posted by b1gredek
so what do u guys recommend since the range rover is probably out of the question, dont really like the lexus one since this is a lexus forum, got to get something fun to drive even though it is an suv, the range rover i must admit was a blast to drive, but dont want to deal with reliability headaches.
FX45 The Porsche Cayenne is ugly IMO, & have quality issues too. It's dragging down Porsche's overall quality rating pretty bad I've heard.
Old 07-30-04, 11:42 AM
hamid
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not too hot on the range rover, for some reason, the QX45 is almost always the first thing that comes to mind when i think bad @ss SUV, its fast, comfy, sounds rowdy, and not to mention looks cool as heck. i would also check out the V8 4runner limited, cheaper than the range, and i believe cheaper than the fx as well.. its pretty nice, and toyota reliability.

Hamid
Old 07-30-04, 12:08 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Ask Francis K on here.............

Last edited by jpa2400; 07-30-04 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-30-04, 12:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by SexySC
FX45 The Porsche Cayenne is ugly IMO, & have quality issues too. It's dragging down Porsche's overall quality rating pretty bad I've heard.
Ditto.....plus I'm not sure the Cayenne is worth what it costs......non-turbo models start close to 60K and Turbos can go well over 90K. The cost of Porsche parts and service at a dealership can be horrendous.

The Range Rover, like any vehicle, has its good and bad points. Reliability....always a concern with British-designed products......is indeed well below average. But it is perhaps the most refined and polished true off-roader available today. Its comfort and trim level is really outstanding, and it can slog through just about anything off-road short of a hummer H1.

If it's "fun" you want in an SUV, don't want to pay an arm and a leg, don't need a true off-roader, and want something at least fairly reliable, then the Subaru Forester and Outback Turbos are probably the way to go. The new BMW X3 offers BMW-type fun WITHOUT Chris Bangle's I-Drive and is not particularly expensive, but is a new and untested product from a manufacturer that has shown sharp quality drops lately....and it is stiff-riding.
Old 07-30-04, 12:42 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks really nice but i've heard reliability isn't too great. I would take the Lexus LX 470 if you ask me, maybe dated styling but the interior is beautiful.
Old 07-30-04, 12:58 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the replies guys, the reason why it is such a hard choice is that i am trading in my m3 for an suv, so i kinda wanted something fun to drive, have not driven the infiniti yet but the toyota suv's are reliable but far from being fun to drive. even though i am not gonna be taking this thing off roading or anything but if u test drive a range rover and jump in to the escalade or lexus, it would be hard to stick with anything else, but if reliability is gonna be such a big issue, than i am probably gonna stay away,

Quick Reply: what do u guys think of the range rover