Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RL thread(new pics, A-Spec) $49,479

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-04 | 09:05 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RON430 but I had a chance to finally drive one (300C) and I have to say, in many respects it is equal to if not superior to my GS.
You said it not me. Chrysler 300C limits are nothing like a GS430, that's a fact. Like I said earlier anyone can stick a big engine in a car (Nissan) and get acceleration cheap. Do you see Nissan sticking the 5.6L in the M45? Even wonder why they use a smaller, and more costly V8? So if the Infiniti M55 has a Titan motor, and costs $40k is it some sort of steal? I bet it would handle and brake better than the M45 too.
Originally posted by RON430 The 340hp hemi that can be had for the mid 30s gets that car down the quarter mile in the low 14s, about the same as my GS. But talking with a few of my old hot rod buddies, the new hemi appears to be very mod friendly and the R&D going on now with bolt on parts is proving that out. Apparently it is possible to drop 1.5 to 2.0 seconds in the quarter with bolt on parts.
Again, no performance tuned motor is going to drop 1.5-2.0 sec w/simple bolt-ons. Especially one setup like the 300C. If your buddies think that, they're delusion. Who cares about the 1/4mi, since when does it reflect real world performance....You plan on brake boosting at every stoplight or something?
Originally posted by RON430
That just staggers my mind that with some after market parts the 300C might be in the 12s for the quarter - this is super car performance range.
It would stagger my mind if it ever happened. Maybe your buddy should get out of the 14's before thinking about 12's.
Originally posted by RON430 But considering that that performance might be available in a very decent handling comfortable sedan with maybe 5K worth of mods on a 35K car is very tempting.
Shodding construction and engineering are hardly what I consider tempting. OMG it is fast till the parts start failing. If the 300C has decent handling, what's the GS like?

Originally posted by RON430 I really don't think that Acura intends the RL to compete with the 5 and E. But is the RL worth 20K more than a hemi 300C or maybe 5K less than an LS? That might be a tough one to answer. Time will tell.
Is the GS430 worth the same as a CTS-V or C55 AMG?
Originally posted by RON430 Handling was easily on a par with the stock GS, probably slightly better. Brakes also on a par, which surprised me, the stock brakes on the GS don't feel very good but stop very well.
Of course...The laws of physics don't apply the the 300C, and its magical chassis.
Originally posted by RON430 And if you read some more you could go back, not too far so it shouldn't tax your mouse skills, to see where I don't believe anyone seriously looking at a GS or RL will go get a 300C
Why not? It handles, and brakes better, acceleration is the same, and the hemi-god has more aftermarket support.
Originally posted by RON430 Chrysler already has a crate motor over 6 liter version of the Hemi that is putting out the 500hp neighborhood and the word is that the 300C and/or the upcoming Charger will have hot versions (possibly R/T) that will be pushing that hp level from the factory.
Again word is 425hp, and please post a link of this street-legal 500hp motor. Sheesh like I said TRD sells 500hp+ V8's. JGTC uses the same Lexus V8 block. The C6 Z06 must have some sort of horrible hp/L ratio compared to the new SRT-8 since it needs an entire liter just to make the same hp.
Originally posted by RON430 You know, I still think Honda is very good at motors and Acura might get back on track to develop into a legitimate alternative
Acura is a legitimate contender compared to the GS300. It seems even superior, and a better bargain. You sing praises about BMW handling, yet they envy Honda's success in motorsports. Come to think of it BMW was the same company claiming the M3 CSL would break 8min at Nurburing, suprised it never happened? No BMW and their fanboys still think BMW knows how build performance chassis...last I checked the M3 runs identical times as the 350Z Track around Germany's famed roadcourse. Last I checked BMW motorsports is nothing compared to Honda or Toyota racing.
Originally posted by RON430 Oh thanks, I was wondering how I would get a holiday laugh. Actually, I respect your debating skills in answering the question you want to answer rather than the one that was asked
No problem.
Old 11-30-04 | 09:07 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Incendiary
I don't personally consider Lexus anywhere near MB and BMW, and consider Acura much closer to Lexus than Lexus is to the German Big Two.
I also believe so.
Old 11-30-04 | 09:14 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
RIP my old GS but I got the "that is my dream car comment" a few times and being involved in car shows, I stil over hear young people stating that when they see Bitkahuna's, JaimeCBR900s etc car. And considering the SC 430/LS 430/LX 470 are more expensive and selling strong, well clearly those dream cars are doing fine. 70k is nowhere near chump change and 99% of the population will never buy a car that expensive. Seeing that Lexus is embraced by pop culutre i.e athletes, entertainers, CEOs etc, it certainly is a dream car.
\
With the way your saying it, then any riced out car in any car shows can be considered a "dream car" since there are always those people who can look but cant afford. Most LS430s on the road dont have the "ultra luxury package" and so most of those DONT equal 70k. Also, from what i've seen, there are rarely ever any lx470's. There are alot of RX's and GX's, but no LX's. My dad was actually considering getting an lx470 until he realized it looks exactly like a toyota land cruiser with lexus badges
Old 11-30-04 | 09:44 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Perhaps part of my previous point is also illustrated by 1SICKLex's post. He compared Lexus to Acura and Infiniti, saying that Lexus has won more awards. I think Lexus compares more easily to those other two brands, which is probably why more "Lexus vs." threads are about Acura and Infiniti here than against Cadillac, Jaguar, the Germans, etc.

BTW, an informal survey of my two roommates, neither of whom are car fans, revealed the following "prestige luxury marque" rankings:

Roommate A:
1. MB
2. Jaguar
3. BMW
4. Lexus
5. Infiniti
Acura, Audi, Cadillac not on the same level

Roommate B:
1. Jaguar
2. MB
3. BMW
4. Audi
Lexus, Infiniti, Cadillac, Acura not on the same level
Old 11-30-04 | 10:23 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Regarding MB E class V6 . . . . .

Originally posted by LexusLuver
same engine in the new ML350
It's actually a different engine. Better.
Old 11-30-04 | 10:23 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Incendiary,

You claim to know so MUCH about these brands, yet u have offered ZERO facts as to why Lexus is closer to Acura than to MB/BMW. And no, the opinions of people who post on German enthusiast sites doesn't count.

BTW i go to mbworld.org very often, partly because im a big fan of MB. Many topics there that compare MB to BMW, Audi, and Lexus.......nowhere were Acuras mentioned. There are many owners there that give Lexus lots of respect bec many of them also own or have owned a Lexus. The people on that site that say Lexus is just another glorified Camry usually are the ones that own a 10 year old POS C-class and know nothing about cars.
Old 11-30-04 | 10:26 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by LexusLuver
You said it not me. Chrysler 300C limits are nothing like a GS430, that's a fact. Like I said earlier anyone can stick a big engine in a car (Nissan) and get acceleration cheap. Do you see Nissan sticking the 5.6L in the M45? Even wonder why they use a smaller, and more costly V8? So if the Infiniti M55 has a Titan motor, and costs $40k is it some sort of steal? I bet it would handle and brake better than the M45 too.

Again, no performance tuned motor is going to drop 1.5-2.0 sec w/simple bolt-ons. Especially one setup like the 300C. If your buddies think that, they're delusion. Who cares about the 1/4mi, since when does it reflect real world performance....You plan on brake boosting at every stoplight or something?

It would stagger my mind if it ever happened. Maybe your buddy should get out of the 14's before thinking about 12's.

Shodding construction and engineering are hardly what I consider tempting. OMG it is fast till the parts start failing. If the 300C has decent handling, what's the GS like?

Is the GS430 worth the same as a CTS-V or C55 AMG?

Of course...The laws of physics don't apply the the 300C, and its magical chassis.

Why not? It handles, and brakes better, acceleration is the same, and the hemi-god has more aftermarket support.

Again word is 425hp, and please post a link of this street-legal 500hp motor. Sheesh like I said TRD sells 500hp+ V8's. JGTC uses the same Lexus V8 block. The C6 Z06 must have some sort of horrible hp/L ratio compared to the new SRT-8 since it needs an entire liter just to make the same hp.

Acura is a legitimate contender compared to the GS300. It seems even superior, and a better bargain. You sing praises about BMW handling, yet they envy Honda's success in motorsports. Come to think of it BMW was the same company claiming the M3 CSL would break 8min at Nurburing, suprised it never happened? No BMW and their fanboys still think BMW knows how build performance chassis...last I checked the M3 runs identical times as the 350Z Track around Germany's famed roadcourse. Last I checked BMW motorsports is nothing compared to Honda or Toyota racing.

No problem.
Hey this fun. Since you don't define "simple bolt ons" I guess we'll just assume that you are in the K&N filter and PIAA bulb group. I don't have any numbers and 1.5 to 2.0 seconds is a bunch in the quarter, but without doing anything to the block, yeah, I have gotten cars to drop 1.5 to 2.0 seconds in the quarter. Although bolt ons included heads. Does 1/4 mile time reflect real wordl performance? Youbetcha. A car that goes down the quarter in 14 secs is a lot more fun with more usable performance than one that goes down the quarter in 19 sec. Boy those laws of physics can be a tricky thing. Acceleration is acceleration. I guess the RL will be competitive in most things but not acceleration. That's OK.

The friend that I have who owns the 300C isn't modding his, at least not yet. The old business associate I have that mentioned about possible 300C performance is in R&D in an aftermarket parts company and they are developing parts for the hemi. The ultimate irony is that the friend who has the 300C traded in a CL S type on it. In all honesty, two boys out of diapers had more to do with it than any disatisfaction with the CL. The only complaint I ever heard him make on the CL was lack of headroom.

Is the GS430 worth the same as a CTS-V or C55 AMG? If you get near a point, please make it.

Here's the link on the 300C Hurst. Enjoy:

500hp 300C

SEMA is a grown up association for specialty equipment manufacturers so you may not have heard of it.

As for delusions, keep kidding yourself that the RL has BMW worried. I really hope Acura does well with the RL. Hopefully they can make enough money to keep Acura current instead of letting it wither like they did. The NSX deserves better if nothing else.

Sure glad that without posting what you drive, and I notice that you do not own a Lexus, that you are such an expert on what a GS430 is like. I don't have to read a magazine or brochure to know about real world on a GS430 or GS300, I have one of each in the garage, I get to drive them everyday. So when I compare a 300C to a GS, I can do it side by side. Please post pictures of your RL when you get it.

Not sure I would apply the term "magical" to the 300C chassis but like I said, it isn't so bad. Acura has made some progress in finally devoting some energy to its lineup and the 300C is showing a glimmer that Detroit may be able to make some progress as well. Don't think I will buy either a 300C or RL but they are both significant for similar reasons. There are real world areas of ride smoothness where the 300C is better than the GS IMO. Will the 300C last like the GS? I sincerely doubt it. And that is a very big reason why I own Toyotas. No one screws a car together like Toyota. I wouldn't want a CTS-V either but a CTS-V will flat walk away from my GS at Laguna Seca - been there, done that.

Last edited by RON430; 11-30-04 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-30-04 | 10:29 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by RNM GS3
Incendiary,

You claim to know so MUCH about these brands, yet u have offered ZERO facts as to why Lexus is closer to Acura than to MB/BMW. And no, the opinions of people who post on German enthusiast sites doesn't count.

BTW i go to mbworld.org very often, partly because im a big fan of MB. Many topics there that compare MB to BMW, Audi, and Lexus.......nowhere were Acuras mentioned. There are many owners there that give Lexus lots of respect bec many of them also own or have owned a Lexus. The people on that site that say Lexus is just another glorified Camry usually are the ones that own a 10 year old POS C-class and know nothing about cars.
Funny, when I asked a couple of people what they know Acura for, they mentioned Integra.
Old 11-30-04 | 10:32 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Incendiary,

I'm not claiming they're close because of facts, I'm claiming they're close because of my perceptions of the public's opinion on the prestige of the marques. If you're talking V8s and RWD, like all the Acura bashers like to talk, then you're absolutely right that they're pretty far apart. And I believe I've stated elsewhere in this thread that I think Acura is a step down from Lexus. I still believe Lexus and Acura are closer in prestige rankings, which is what this board and this thread seems to be fixated on, than Lexus and MB/BMW.

Why should the opinions of German enthusiast boards posters not count, while the opinions of Japanese enthusiast boards posters would? And why, after you say they don't count, would you then go on to cite what they say?

BTW, I didn't claim to know "so MUCH about these brands." However, I also don't consider myself unknowledgeable about them. And I do like how you very quickly dismiss anyone whose opinion is contrary to yours to be that of someone who knows nothing about cars. Way to argue, bro!
Old 11-30-04 | 10:36 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Funny, when I asked a couple of people what they know Acura for, they mentioned Integra.
Indeed, that would be the volume seller for Acura. BMW is known for the 3-series, hardly a luxury car. Audi and the A4, Lexus and the RX330/RX300 and ES330/300. None of these are luxury cars.
Old 11-30-04 | 10:41 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not claiming they're close because of facts, I'm claiming they're close because of my perceptions of the public's opinion on the prestige of the marques. If you're talking V8s and RWD, like all the Acura bashers like to talk, then you're absolutely right that they're pretty far apart. And I believe I've stated elsewhere in this thread that I think Acura is a step down from Lexus. I still believe Lexus and Acura are closer in prestige rankings, which is what this board and this thread seems to be fixated on, than Lexus and MB/BMW.
This is likely to tick you off, but I disagree. As brands go, RR, MB and BMW are unmistakable and well understood. Of the Japanese luxury brands, the only one that I think that has the perception of being at all in the same ballpark is Lexus. That is not meant to be Lexoarrogance but if you go to some of the more meaningless forms of the media, like TV, you can see comments made in shows about successful types (or wannabe successful types) driving a Lexus, not just Merc or bimmer. I don't think I have ever seen a movie, TV show, news article, where a feeling of high priced quality was made by saying so and so just bought or drives an Infiniti or Acura. Not very scientific but it is amazing how the Lexus has creeped into our lexicon. Once again, sorry to hijack the RL Rules thread.
Old 11-30-04 | 10:43 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Incendiary,

BTW, don't you get pissed about the attitude of some of the people on MBWorld? It seems like many of them think MB is the best car company in the world, everything else is crap bought by losers who "can't afford a Mercedes." To be honest, it's actually an attitude I detect here at CL as well, except about Lexus. But I guess at least people here don't call all Japanese cars "Jap cars" and "rice burners." That annoys me as well.
Old 11-30-04 | 10:46 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

This is likely to tick you off, but I disagree. As brands go, RR, MB and BMW are unmistakable and well understood. Of the Japanese luxury brands, the only one that I think that has the perception of being at all in the same ballpark is Lexus. That is not meant to be Lexoarrogance but if you go to some of the more meaningless forms of the media, like TV, you can see comments made in shows about successful types (or wannabe successful types) driving a Lexus, not just Merc or bimmer. I don't think I have ever seen a movie, TV show, news article, where a feeling of high priced quality was made by saying so and so just bought or drives an Infiniti or Acura. Not very scientific but it is amazing how the Lexus has creeped into our lexicon. Once again, sorry to hijack the RL Rules thread.
No, I'm not ticked off, and I don't see why you'd think that would tick me off. RR is probably considered the height of luxury cars, followed by Bentley. Maybach, according to some who are "in the know" is probably above the other two NOW just because of pricing.

I'd actually agree that the ranking according to Joe Public is MB then BMW then Lexus. I don't personally think of them in that order, but whatever. Differences in opinion make the world go round, eh?
Old 11-30-04 | 10:47 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

MBWorld is a place i left for that exact reason.

They're a bunch of snobs and it makes nice lexus-friendly people like me look bad.

But on the other hand, for you people to rag on them like that and assume they're all snobs is not right either.
Old 11-30-04 | 10:48 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Indeed, that would be the volume seller for Acura. BMW is known for the 3-series, hardly a luxury car. Audi and the A4, Lexus and the RX330/RX300 and ES330/300. None of these are luxury cars.
The people I asked couldn't actually mention any another Acura model. Boy, your extensive understanding of Lexus sure shows in your dozens of posts. What a shame you don't say you own a Lexus. Not sure many people other than us auto intelligencia know Audi for much of anything other than unintended acceleration. As for what bimmer is known for, I will take your word for it. I have owned three fives and two sevens but never a three. But funny how in your rush to share with us what Lexus is known for, you didn't mention the LS. If I were to pick one model that made Lexus and what most people think of when they think of Lexus, that's it. Could be a poll in the making.

Quick Reply: Acura RL thread(new pics, A-Spec) $49,479