Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RL thread(new pics, A-Spec) $49,479

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-04, 02:52 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
I regularly make my positions clear (and have provided numerous reasons) when these debates come up, and I think you know where I stand.
Quite obviously
Old 09-04-04, 03:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

I think this thread now officially has NOTHING to do with the new Acura RL.
Old 09-04-04, 03:22 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally posted by bitkahuna
the rl is AWESOME! Looks good inside and out. I talked to my friend who is a salesmen at acura and he got to drive the RL. He says its a really really nice car and it handles very well. THe only thing he didnt like was the big **** that controls everything....similar to bmws. Other than that, he loves the car. There we go...back on topic
Old 09-04-04, 03:24 PM
LexFather

lmao! I think I wouldn't be so harsh if I wasn't do damn hungry. This girl is taking forever to get here. Gonna eat some Roti, plantains, jerk wings and some sorrel to drink.....
I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to 2004. Jag is no longer the oil-spewing rolling leper colony it once was.
OMG, I nearly crapped my pants when I read this

Old 09-04-04, 06:03 PM
iloveGS300
Driver

Check my profile.

Are you some sort of fascist? What if I want to be a Lexus *****? Why do I have to be politcally correct and like all cars in order to be an enthusiast?

"Be an all around car enthusiast." What a joke! Who are YOU to tell ME what I should like and why?!

Christ, your comments are infuriating.
You Poor thing. I dont have anything else to say. Come back to this thread in 10 years when you grow up.

Robert

Last edited by iloveGS300; 09-04-04 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-05-04, 10:02 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Honda keeps on losing their sporty image. The car will sell, but I wonder about Honda's long-term goals.
Old 09-06-04, 12:20 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by CK6Speed
Well, in Honda's defence the JDM NSX-R has always been thought to have more than 300HP even though it is rated at 280ps (Or 290hp). Simply put, the HP to weight calculations simply don't add up to the NSX-R actual performance if you go by its 290hp. It is more like 310-315. Even the regular NSX-T we get is probaly closer to 300HP or it really has a very effiecient drivetrain. It typically puts down 255 to the wheels which makes it a 12% loss which is very good or a 300HP car if you use the general rule of thumb of 15% loss. Anyway, I think the break of the gentlemans agreement on paper is not only for the RL but for future upcoming models.
280ps = 276 hp bud.

That's what I am "supposed" to have.
Old 09-06-04, 04:39 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to 2004. Jag is no longer the oil-spewing rolling leper colony it once was.

The new XJ is marvelous and reliability and quality ratings have gone up significantly.
Haha! I'm reminded of ...

"I started sellin dooope back in 1986, I bought a Cadillac and a put dem thaaangs on that biaatch the brains blowed out with the white leather seats ..."

LOL

I love the XJ - great car.

M.
Old 09-06-04, 09:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
lmao! I think I wouldn't be so harsh if I wasn't do damn hungry. This girl is taking forever to get here. Gonna eat some Roti, plantains, jerk wings and some sorrel to drink.....
And folks - you don't wanna be in 1Sick's way when he's hungry.

Say man, u should keep snacks at home! Raw carrots, power bars, cashews, or a peanut butter sandwich or something.
Old 09-06-04, 10:14 PM
LexFather

And folks - you don't wanna be in 1Sick's way when he's hungry.

Say man, u should keep snacks at home! Raw carrots, power bars, cashews, or a peanut butter sandwich or something.
I don't know what those things are Bit?

Old 09-07-04, 06:25 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The new pricing has been released in the new Car&Driver issue. The 2005 RL will start at about $48,000-$50,000. Seems like a pretty good bargain considering the list of features.

A great car but not what the RL should be.

Old 09-07-04, 07:16 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by JLSC4

I think that is the misconception that so many people on this board have. Acura does not have a car that competes with the LS430 and that's ok. It doesn't make them a second tier luxury car company IMHO. They choose to top out at about $50K and they choose to do it with a 6 cyl. LOTS of people will never buy one of their cars because of t his - but that's ok! Acura plays in its niche and plays well. I for one really like the fact that their cars have no more than one option in most cases. You get everything for one very reasonable price.

If you look at the percentage of GS300 sales vs. GS430 sales, you have to admit, they are focusing in the right place. The market for V8 powered luxury sedans is not large by any means.
Old 09-07-04, 07:47 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by doug_999
I think that is the misconception that so many people on this board have. Acura does not have a car that competes with the LS430 and that's ok. It doesn't make them a second tier luxury car company IMHO. They choose to top out at about $50K and they choose to do it with a 6 cyl. LOTS of people will never buy one of their cars because of t his - but that's ok! Acura plays in its niche and plays well. I for one really like the fact that their cars have no more than one option in most cases. You get everything for one very reasonable price.

If you look at the percentage of GS300 sales vs. GS430 sales, you have to admit, they are focusing in the right place. The market for V8 powered luxury sedans is not large by any means.
I was referring more to the styling of the car. I think it looks great but seems inappropriate for what is supposed to be more of a classy luxury sedan. This looks like another sports sedan which is already filled with the TL. It's not necessarily a mistake by Acura, but there could have been a better solution.
I understand that their not trying to go after the LS, 7, or S class and that's fine.
Old 09-07-04, 09:32 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by JLSC4
The new pricing has been released in the new Car&Driver issue. The 2005 RL will start at about $48,000-$50,000. Seems like a pretty good bargain considering the list of features.

it's an awesome car but i dont know. it seems like 50K is a lot for V6 even tho it has tons of features listed as standard. ummm very base LS starts around 56K
Old 09-07-04, 10:07 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent first-drive review from Edmunds. Very favorable overall with the only real complaint being the lack of um....a V8.
The new RL is looking to be the best 6-cylinder sedan in the entire market IMHO.
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...4/article.html

Below's the paragraph related to the write-up previously posted:

"In the real world, this system has many distinct advantages. In emergency avoidance maneuvers, the car is more predictable and simply responds more precisely to what the driver tells it to do. The other advantage is from a performance standpoint. We had the opportunity to drive the RL on a closed road course along with an Audi A6, a BMW 530i and a Mercedes-Benz E320. Granted, this course was set up by Acura, but the RL handled noticeably better than the others and the SH-AWD system worked seamlessly. While we still think the BMW's steering feels quicker and more responsive, overall the Acura RL was more precise and able to get around the course faster. Plus, the RL has an almost spooky ability to go exactly where the driver points it. Even if you're no Michael Schumacher, this car makes you feel like a champ, as it makes the most of all available grip. The result is a car that handles precisely, feels predictable and is fun to drive all at the same time."

Last edited by XeroK00L; 09-07-04 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Acura RL thread(new pics, A-Spec) $49,479