Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RL thread(new pics, A-Spec) $49,479

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-04, 07:08 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by LexusLuver
I really don't car much for all that technology since I am more of a basic performance enthusiast.
I would suggest changing your user name then
Old 09-19-04, 12:45 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally posted by doug_999
I would suggest changing your user name then
LOL
Old 09-19-04, 12:47 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

I dont see why everyone is arguing about the rl so much. So far, the RL has gotten nothing but good reviews. Car mags like the styling, performance, and luxury the RL offers. Good job acura
Old 09-19-04, 01:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Rob L - interesting your initials are RL.

Anyway, your post was one of the more obnoxious ones I've seen a while. I'd like to reply to a couple of your specific comments.

do you people really just buy cars based on the exterior? if so, that is pathetic. Don't know about you but I spend most of my time with my car INSIDE DRIVING IT and I really don't give a rat's *** if some avg joe likes the look of it or not. I have pity for you if you need to have strangers boost your ego by liking the look of your posessions.
Certainly most spend more time inside the car driving it than looking at its exterior, but to MOST car buyers, the exterior DOES MATTER because THEY have to look at it in their garage or driveway, when walking back to it in a parking lot, when seeing other ones on the road, etc. So I and many do give a "rat's ***" what the exterior looks like and if you find that pathetic, more power to you.

So far I find the RL to be much better based on pics/specs than the new GS. Am I allowed to say that around here since I am not blindly on my knees orally servicing the Lexus nameplate?
The first sentence was a perfectly reasonable opinion which people can agree or disagree with. The follow-up rhetorical question was insulting and disrespectful. Is that your aim?

[I am mature and comfortable enough with myself that I can like other manufacturers' cars.
And that's why you have to imply that some on here are 'blindly on [their] knees orally servicing the Lexus nameplate?" If that is in fact what some are doing, then they will look 'bloody stupid' without you saying it.

I've never seen anyone on here who only likes Lexus. Almost all of us like one or more models from BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, Dodge, Honda, Subaru, Chevy, etc., etc.

The best thing I think is that if this was a lexus model so many here would be covering their walls with white goo over the specs/pics. You gotta love how humans can be so biased which in turn just shows off how silly/dumb they can be.
You gotta love how humans can be so upset which in turn just shows off how silly/dumb they can be.
Old 09-19-04, 03:07 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Xenthar
I dont see why everyone is arguing about the rl so much. So far, the RL has gotten nothing but good reviews. Car mags like the styling, performance, and luxury the RL offers. Good job acura
Hey I'm sure it's an awesome car, just I think Honda can build better.
Old 09-19-04, 07:36 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by Rob L
Wow.

Wantanewlex makes me embarrassed to be a Lexus owner. What a friggin brand *****. The BEST thing is he goes on about the RL not being a luxury car yet says it isn't because styling but because it is FWD biased (who cares when it is going in a straight line? when not going around turns/bends I don't notice a diff between my RWD IS and FWD cars I have driven) and the V6 engine. Dude, what makes a luxury car is basically the bloody interior and features!!! Man. I have to wonder if I was that clueless and ignorant when I was 19. Also love how he makes comments on the cars performance yet has never driven the bloody thing. Way to post a great useful opinion there buddy.

I hope that when the car comes out and everyone gets to drive it and the mags test it they find it out accelerates the majority of cars out there (I saw one first drive where they estimate the 0-60 time to be 5.9 seconds) and out handles them as well. In fact, I hope it out handles every Lexus model to date just to simply shut that 19 year old jackass up. But hey, I am sure he will keep shooting his mouth off with his useless comments. I will laugh if it outhandles the new GS coming out and to be honest, I bet it will. Oh and I also hope it turns out to be one of the quietest cars in the world (say behind the LS) and one of the smoothest riding but then again, it still won't be a luxury sedan.

I found it funny reading this thread and having most people just comment on the exterior and ASSume the car is junk because it has a conservative styling...do you people really just buy cars based on the exterior? if so, that is pathetic. Don't know about you but I spend most of my time with my car INSIDE DRIVING IT and I really don't give a rat's *** if some avg joe likes the look of it or not. I have pity for you if you need to have strangers boost your ego by liking the look of your posessions.

So far I find the RL to be much better based on pics/specs than the new GS. Am I allowed to say that around here since I am not blindly on my knees orally servicing the Lexus nameplate? The funny thing is I am a huge Lexus fan (probably have owned more lexus cars than anyone here) but I am mature and comfortable enough with myself that I can like other manufacturers' cars.

The best thing I think is that if this was a lexus model so many here would be covering their walls with white goo over the specs/pics. You gotta love how humans can be so biased which in turn just shows off how silly/dumb they can be.
So by your post, I am assuming you are GOD, since we "lowly humans" with opinions. Personal insults are against the rules and if you like the RL so much, be sure to buy one, watch your re-sale plummet, watch as everyone asks "how's your new Accord" and watch it have no aftermarket support.

You guys kill me. No one said the car will suck, everyone said it is an improvement. Don't expect Lexus owners who are USED TO THE BEST and USED TO SUCCESS since it's inception to jump on YOUR BRANDS bandwagon of 1 or 2 good products in the last 10 years. We are not that impressed.

Old 09-19-04, 08:54 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
Thanks for the personal attack.

What do our moderators think?
ironic.
Old 10-01-04, 11:29 AM
LexFather

Re-OPENED with a new update. Any more childish bickering and it closes again.

$49,479 That is the price for the 05 RL.

I think to much. I was thinking 45k tops. My prediciton, much like the 1st gen RL, this model will be 10k off sticker soon.

Old 10-01-04, 12:36 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. That's a lot. Hand me that wad of cash and I would make a bee-line to the Benz dealer to pick up a diesel E-Klasse.

Does the new RL come with real wood trim?
Old 10-01-04, 03:03 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeah I honestly thought this car was going to be about 45-46K tops. The features really dont impress me that much for the price of this car. Compared to a MB E-class and a BMW 530i then yes its still a better buy. It has considerably more power than them, but thats about it. I just cant get over how people buy 6 cylinder luxo cars for 50K. I just dont get it. I always looked at Acura as having the most bang for the buck, but this totally defeats my theory now. (TL is still a great buy) I dont know anymore, I'm kinda disappointed, I kinda liked this car and had high hopes, but not anymore.

I hope that it does have real wood trim now, with that price it better.
Old 10-01-04, 03:54 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

. . . & Canadian price of $69,900 for the new RL is not a typo !?

Last edited by Gojirra99; 10-01-04 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-01-04, 05:30 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by magneto112
... It has considerably more power than them, but thats about it. I just cant get over how people buy 6 cylinder luxo cars for 50K. I just dont get it. I always looked at Acura as having the most bang for the buck, but this totally defeats my theory now.
Does it really matter if the car has 6 or 8 cylinders if the HP is the same. The RL's 6 is gonna produce 300 HP so why do you need an 8 cylinder to produce the same power. Their may be a couple of small differances in how the engine performs but nothing significant if the power is the same. Just think, the 6 will probably get better gas mileage.
Old 10-01-04, 05:40 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Re-OPENED with a new update. Any more childish bickering and it closes again.

$49,479 That is the price for the 05 RL.

I think to much. I was thinking 45k tops. My prediciton, much like the 1st gen RL, this model will be 10k off sticker soon.
That includes NAV? If so then a good deal IMO. Car has everything.

Let's see what a loaded AWD GS300 prices out at - I am curious.
Old 10-01-04, 05:54 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by JLSC4
Does it really matter if the car has 6 or 8 cylinders if the HP is the same. The RL's 6 is gonna produce 300 HP so why do you need an 8 cylinder to produce the same power. Their may be a couple of small differances in how the engine performs but nothing significant if the power is the same. Just think, the 6 will probably get better gas mileage.
The GS430's 62lb-ft of torque advantage is enough for me.

-Michael-
Old 10-01-04, 06:01 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by JLSC4
Low end torque.
Low end power.
The sound, the feel
Smoothness of 2 extra cylinders
Who wants a high revving, buzzy engine for their luxury car?

I do think the RL ratings are very competative. It does have 4000lbs to haul around.

If a v-6 was so good, don't u think Lexus would have done it? Oh, they did. THe I-6 only 1st gen GS, which did not sell too well after 1993. Lexus figured out to be taken serious, u had to at least OFFER a V-8.
Even Infiniti has a clue with the new M35/45.

Quick Reply: Acura RL thread(new pics, A-Spec) $49,479