Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NPR's Cartalk with Tom and Ray Magliozzi

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-04 | 09:25 AM
azari
Intermediate

Default NPR's Cartalk with Tom and Ray Magliozzi

Anyone listens to them at all??? I personally think that it's the BEST radio show ever; it combines humor with car related questions from listeners. While one can learn a great deal about cars and their technical aspects, you'll also laugh a lot and have a great time, and that, ladies and gentlemen, is a combo!!

Check it out if you can; you can either listen to the show on radio (NPR) on Saturdays, or you can also go to their website and hear their most recent show every week. Give it a try:

http://www.cartalk.com/Radio/Show/online.html Click on segments and have fun.
Old 08-02-04 | 06:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

These are the two guys that call themselves Click and Clack. I'm well familiar with them...I read them every week, along with a lot of other automotive sources. They are OK for some general repair questions but don't really understand a lot of the complexities involved in repairing some of today vehicles. For specific repair problems and other matters concerning car care, a better source is Pat Goss http://www.patgosscarworld.com/
Old 08-02-04 | 07:14 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I listen to them pretty much every week, great show. I admit it, I'm a weekend NPR junky including Car Talk, "Wait Wait Don't tell me!" (news quiz), This American Life, etc.

MM, you can't take them too seriously - they don't themselves and even do the 'stump the chump' where they go back and find out if they were right or wrong. Like you said it's good basic mechanics stuff, but its even better entertainment .
Old 08-02-04 | 07:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Yeah, Dave.....some of the stuff they say can be taken seriously....and some can't. Fortunately, both you and me seem to know the difference.
Old 08-02-04 | 08:02 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

I agree they are a nice blend of entertainment and information. Funny guys.
Old 08-02-04 | 04:58 PM
azari
Intermediate

Yea, Pat Goss is also very knowledgable and I actually called him one day and spoke with him on his radio show about a small leak that I had on top of my coolant resorvoir. I was taking a 1200 mile trip to Florida and wanted to get his opinion as to whether or not a certain silicone would last the long drive and stop the leak. And sure enough he gave me the right advice and since then, the silicone has stuck like cement.

I think it's pretty obvious when Tom and Ray are kidding and when they are giving serious advice though. But anyways, all 3 know their stuff for sure!