Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top Gear Review of C6 Corvette ( Video )

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-04 | 11:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by jet864
I'm running a Mac, so would it even be worth searching for or would it be outta the question? Oh, and another Q...why do the Top Gear guys use MPH, rather than km/h? Are they changing in Europe, or is that the more acceptable way nowadays?

James
can't you just d/l the video from the link?
Old 08-02-04 | 11:14 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I need a bit torrent client for the the 007 site, but sleepyfish is working great. Got like 7 reviews.

James
Old 08-03-04 | 01:55 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Originally posted by rominl
haha that's harsh man. actually i think it did pretty good. i agree, if you talk about sheer engineering, the nsx walks away with a big smile. you saw that 1/4 mile run? the c6 is 400hp and the nsx is ONLY 290hp but the nsx killed the c6 so badly. it's not even fun.

and yeah, talk about handling i really don't thikn the corvette is that impressive.

someone explains to me what's leaf suspension in the back?
The NSX will not beat the C6 The 4 car drag race was a joke.

Even with the leaf springs the car beat out most of the others

I guess the bottom line is none of the other cars cost 40k dollars with the savings you can redue the interior and add performance mods up the ying yang. I sopke to a Corvette rep from GM and was told the rear bumper of the car was designed to be soft and flexible to reduce fiber glass cracks and insurance claims.
Old 08-03-04 | 04:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Is that an NSX-R in the video ?
Old 08-03-04 | 04:50 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Didn't you guys expect the corvette to do beter overall??
I did.
Old 08-03-04 | 09:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by jimxo
The NSX will not beat the C6 The 4 car drag race was a joke.

Even with the leaf springs the car beat out most of the others

I guess the bottom line is none of the other cars cost 40k dollars with the savings you can redue the interior and add performance mods up the ying yang. I sopke to a Corvette rep from GM and was told the rear bumper of the car was designed to be soft and flexible to reduce fiber glass cracks and insurance claims.
so how are you going to explain the drag race then? the nsx got nos?

i would like to point out, never ever underestimate the "290hp" number on the nsx, that's one big mistake. nsx is one super car from japan
Old 08-03-04 | 09:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by SexySC
Is that an NSX-R in the video ?
i don't think so, i think it's just a normal nsx
Old 08-03-04 | 09:26 AM
LexFather

Originally posted by rominl
add to the list sick. the ford gt40 actually got 3rd right in front of the 360 CS.
Good catch dude.
I also don't see a NSX walking on a C6. It runs neck to neck with a C-5 and dusted by a Z06. Acceleration is not a NSX strong suit.
Old 08-03-04 | 09:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Good catch dude.
I also don't see a NSX walking on a C6. It runs neck to neck with a C-5 and dusted by a Z06. Acceleration is not a NSX strong suit.

just trying to get more info then. how does the nsx-r (pre 03) do with the 360 then?
Old 08-03-04 | 09:48 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Good catch dude.
Ha! I concede the point.

I wasn't commenting on the "drag race" they held. It wasn't scientific anyway - the C6 sat there smoking the tires for waay too long - it wasn't a good launch.

But my problem is how it looked around the course. It seems to me that most of the other cars they've tested were far more composed.

Of course, for the money the C6 is a good buy.

While the leaf-springs are primitive - aparently they get the job done.

M.
Old 08-03-04 | 11:15 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

Leaf springs? Are you joking? Wow, the Corvette has just lost a ton of credibility in my book. No better way to show contempt for potential customers. I don't care if it gets the job done. It's primitive, and it's tacky.

Just when I was starting to think GM was beginning to suck a little less...Old habits die hard, I guess.
Old 08-03-04 | 11:34 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
Leaf springs? Are you joking? Wow, the Corvette has just lost a ton of credibility in my book. No better way to show contempt for potential customers. I don't care if it gets the job done. It's primitive, and it's tacky.

Just when I was starting to think GM was beginning to suck a little less...Old habits die hard, I guess.
All my posts in this thread can be summarized by the above; I totally agree.

M.
Old 08-03-04 | 11:41 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

I just watched the vid, and I've gotta say it was one of the funniest and most entertaining things ever. It looks like a dangerous car to drive. Very sloppy. And really, the British have the right attitude. I really, really appreciate their humor, criticism, and attitude.

More embarassing American junk.

"Oh, this looks poor...THE BRITS! Oh dear, they win." LMFAO!!!!!!!!

America will never build good cars. Thankfully, they don't have to.

Last edited by SecPole14; 08-03-04 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-03-04 | 12:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

about the leaf spring system, one thing come into mind.

i guess it probably makes sense for us that the leaf spring system is very bad setup. now if they actually put in a real spring/shock system on the vette, would it make it better? umm....
Old 08-03-04 | 03:58 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by wantAnewLex

Well I prefer to disagree. The car is an amazing example of what GM engineering can accomplish. This is the same exact argument you get from the BMW folks when the AMG uses a supercharger. Oh my how bourgeois! Please...

They've brought performance to a level that is absolutely amazing at the price point they play in. If you weren't told you would not have known it used leaf springs and you probably wouldn't be aware of it using pushrods instead of OHC design. The end result is what really matters here and they have some cool technology too. Check out the HUD and the trick suspension system.

This appears to be giving customers what they want at a price they can afford. Hardly showing contempt.

My $0.02 + change

Quick Reply: Top Gear Review of C6 Corvette ( Video )