Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Went to the LoveMercedes Tour on Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-04, 01:50 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Went to the LoveMercedes Tour on Saturday

Just a month after the first Lexus Taste of Luxury event, the same Alameda Point in the Bay Area was used to host the LoveMercedes Tour event over the last weekend.

Having had great fun in the Lexus event, me and my MB-fanatic buddy surely wouldn't miss another chance to abuse those high-end cars. Oh and before you ask, sadly the Lexus event didn't convert him over from the dark side... Though he admitted that the Lexus cars he sat in were quite more luxurious than the MB, all he needed to say was the same favorite motto of his--"one mile away, nobody can see your business card, and what do they see?"--and I had only to agree.

Anyway, back to the Tour. Reusing the same tent and place, this event is in many ways like the Lexus one except for the following key differences:
1. The reception girls were of much better visual quality (anyone remembers the reception "girls" at the Lexus event? ).
2. The MB tent is nothing but a display of fashion items--clothes, watches, gadgets, stylish furniture--anything but MB-related. A sharp contrast to the Lexus tent, where efforts were made to familiarize visitors with the technological features that made Lexus superior. As my buddy said, "people could care much less what's inside an MB than what's on its hood".
3. Only MB cars were offered for test driving, of course. MB is "unlike any other", after all. The wait times in the lines were therefore much longer because there were much fewer cars to drive than in the Lexus event.
4. In both events all lineups from the two brands were on display, but only the MB cars gathered endless stream of people taking pictures with the cars. The Lexus cars? Didn't see anyone who even stopped at the cars, let alone taking pictures. The CLS was only display, BTW, and it looked much better in person than in the pictures, IMO.
5. The road tracks were less challenging than those in the Lexus event. Fewer and less sharper turns. Straight lines were longer though so we could reach higher speeds before having to turn. In the sedan track (sedans and sporty cars were on separate tracks), where they had all 4MATIC and CDI cars for test driving, they had a guy pouring soap water at the starting point, so we could appreciate how well the traction control worked--the car wouldn't launch until it slowly moved past the wet area. I know Lexus cars could do that too but that was a cool way to test out the feature.
6. The SUV tracks, however, were much more challenging than in the Lexus event. So much so that they only allowed you to ride with professional drivers. At one point they had this HUGE gap in a bump that you'd think there was no way even a truck could go over. Yet they did. Very good setup for offroading indeed.

We regrettably arrived there quite late at 3:30pm so we had only about 2 hours to drive. The lines were very long so we only managed to test drive the CLK320, SL500 and E320 CDI and rode in the G500.
Also for test drive were CLK500, SLK350 (not even at dealers yet BTW), E320 4MATIC, E500 4MATIC, S430 4MATIC, S500 4MATIC and ML500.
In the end of day, all I could say is, wow, the SL500 was simply phenonmenal, the E320 CDI handled and accelerated very well (while posting ~40mpg), and the G-class was indeed a true off-roader.

I have to say that perhaps Lexus shouldn't have offered competing cars in their event after all. As someone on MBWorld said, "Lexus driving event" is an oxymoron. And now I agree with him.
I mean, I left the Lexus event feeling the BMW's were the best driving machines! What's the point Lexus was trying to show us by hosting a "driving" event with competing cars? That's not one of the Lexus's strengths. They should've had a "cruising" event. But then people could just do it by test driving at the dealers.

My friend took a few pictures. Hopefully I can get them up there soon. That's all for now folks.

EDIT: Forgot to mention how nervous and paranoid the staff at the tracks became whenever people like me drove. I love it when they had to constantly announce to people, "we want everybody to be able to drive...as you know, these cars are...uh...these cars can handle very well, and stop ver well...but the road surface is just not designed to handle some of the manuveurs some of you guys were doing...so please, drive slow and be reasonable..."...etc., etc...while what they were really trying to say was more like, "people...these are expensive cars and I don't see you can either handle the car or afford it...now, drive like a nun and walk away quietly!" Well, nobody gave a da*n, of course.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-02-04 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-02-04, 05:52 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lexus doing the right thing by letting the consumers test drive all of their competitors( a lot more money involved) and let the consumers decide by themselfs. I thinkj MB don't have the ball to let the consumers test drive another car manufacturers in their own event because they can't afford to show the consumers " What another car manufacturer has to offers?".

Lexus got nothing to hide from nobody!.

Lexus also know the weak and strong points of their cars and willing to let the consumers be the judges. They know about the handling, the HP's rating and the heritage. But Lexus won't hide it and let the consumers do the judgement. By knowing what the competitors strong point will make the Lexus becomes more competitive. They know about all the weak points and right now they will concentrate on how to make the car better. Kaizen for Lexus, " continouse to improve".

What about MB? By blind fold the consumers, what do they get from the event?.Nothing, they get the people that loves MB because the star on the hood and pumping out more C-class for the people that can't afford the real MB, but just wants the star on the hood.

MB is a great car company with a long history, stylist, innoventive technologies, and prestige. But now the star on hood sometimes mean, lack of self-confidence. Your friend is right about " one mile from here nobody can see your bussiness card, but they see the star on the hood". Hey, so do the tow truck driver, they can see the star on the hood a mile away too... make it easier for the tow truck driver.
Old 08-02-04, 06:30 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I concur with VVT-i. I suspect that MB and BMW are aware that if they put some Lexi out, it may sway some to jump ship. I don't think it hurts to have other lines represented. In a driving event, a side-by-side is nice for potential buyers.

Last edited by RA40; 08-02-04 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-02-04, 07:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

sounds like fun didn't go coz' i had something else to do. but being able to drive the sl500 i think that's worth it already
Old 08-02-04, 07:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally posted by VVT-i

Lexus also know the weak and strong points of their cars and willing to let the consumers be the judges. They know about the handling, the HP's rating and the heritage. But Lexus won't hide it and let the consumers do the judgement.
You make a very valid argument. Proof is in the satisfaction ratings and sales numbers of each in their class. Lexus knows what will appeal to the masses and a comparo of it's rivals in their respective classes clearly define what Lexus excells at, quality and value.
Old 08-03-04, 09:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by flipside909
You make a very valid argument. Proof is in the satisfaction ratings and sales numbers of each in their class. Lexus knows what will appeal to the masses and a comparo of it's rivals in their respective classes clearly define what Lexus excells at, quality and value.
In most cases, I would add a third outstanding Lexus virtue....refinement.
Old 08-03-04, 09:58 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Good point VVT-i! Now I understand the point Lexus was trying to make, that they are not afraid of being compared side-by-side, and that they're being totally honest and letting the people be the final judge. That's reputable business!

Okay, so it turns out that we didn't spent much time taking pictures. Here's the only one that actually shows a little bit of what was going on. I only wish I had half the journalism skills rominl has.
Now if you please excuse me...

(Again, I have to say the CLS looks better in person than in a picture. However, like most other Mercedes's we sat in, the doors closed with a very cheap "clunk" sound instead of a "thud". That alone is enough to put Mercedes further down in my future shopping list. And ya...that's me in the CLS.)
Attached Thumbnails Went to the LoveMercedes Tour on Saturday-cls-at-lovemercedes-tour.jpg  

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-03-04 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-03-04, 10:54 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by VVT-i
What about MB? By blind fold the consumers, what do they get from the event?.Nothing, they get the people that loves MB because the star on the hood and pumping out more C-class for the people that can't afford the real MB, but just wants the star on the hood.
Yuuup!! My buddy, after test-driving the E, S, CLK and SL, is getting a 2005 C230 sedan as we speak!! (He's currently driving a base 1997 C230 with manual seats!!)
Somehow he's never had trouble getting girls in his car though.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-03-04 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-03-04, 11:11 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by rominl
but being able to drive the sl500 i think that's worth it already
My thoughts too.
It's hard for me to even imagine what it'd be like to drive in those tracks in an SL55 OR even SL65!
Old 08-03-04, 12:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by XeroK00L
My thoughts too.
It's hard for me to even imagine what it'd be like to drive in those tracks in an SL55 OR even SL65!
honestly i am not sure if sl55 or sl65 would do too much better on those autox type of track though, coz' it's more about handling than power. but if you go to real speed track, now those cars would scream away

and yes i agree with nuum totally. lexus knows what they are good and bad at, and they have no problem lettting you know. unlike mb, they probably don't want you to know that their leather sux, etc...
Old 08-03-04, 02:48 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a fun event. Glad you had a good time!

-Anthony
Old 08-04-04, 06:45 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks I did.

By the way, here's a pretty decent thread on MBWorld regarding the new cars at the event.
I really should've test-driven the SLK350 too.

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...t=lovemercedes

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-04-04 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-04-04, 07:17 PM
gsfour
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went as well and the course manager said to me "I want you to accelerate as fast as you can and make the loudest skid possible." I'm all "You got it". I couldn't believe my ears as I was sitting in the SL500. I think as long as you don't hit any cones, they don't care.

Yeah, the SL500 was very nice, handles nicely around the autocross track. Even with an inexperienced autocrosser like me, it kept me in control even with the front wheels squeeling away at the corners. How many times do I have to tell you, accelerate at the apex through the corners. OK I know we all hate that commercial. If I had gobs of money, I'd buy one.

The S500 was powerful, but it's just too big to handle the corners well. I wasn't nearly as sure at the corners as I was with the E320 CDI.

Really wanted to go to the Lex event but they didn't invite me. Maybe next year!

Last edited by gsfour; 08-04-04 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-04-04, 09:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by gsfour
I went as well and the course manager said to me "I want you to accelerate as fast as you can and make the loudest skid possible." I'm all "You got it". I couldn't believe my ears as I was sitting in the SL500. I think as long as you don't hit any cones, they don't care.

Yeah, the SL500 was very nice, handles nicely around the autocross track. Even with an unexperienced autocrosser like me, it kept me in control even with the front wheels squeeling away at the corners. If I had gobs of money, I'd buy one.

The S500 was powerful, but it's just too big. It handles like a car that is too big too. I wasn't nearly as sure at the corners as I was with the E320 CDI.

Really wanted to go to the Lex event but they didn't invite me. Maybe next year!
yeah the s class is big and it drives very big too. unlike the 7 series which feels like a much smaller car
Old 08-04-04, 10:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

It may be more expensive, but I think the SL500 blows away the Lexus SC430. Lexus needs to do more here.

Quick Reply: Went to the LoveMercedes Tour on Saturday