Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

the hype of the supra

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-04, 09:20 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GLOBECLK

Originally posted by sc3boost
ok kool i just misunderstood you.
it is kind of crazy the money people are asking for a seven year or more car
if they did make new ones they'de be some where in the 50-60K
Supply vs. demand

Last edited by JAC JZS; 08-27-04 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-28-04, 01:47 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

2JZ-GTE makes up for any downfall in the interior department. It's a tradeoff I'd be more than happy to live with.
Old 08-28-04, 03:45 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Technics
2JZ-GTE makes up for any downfall in the interior department. It's a tradeoff I'd be more than happy to live with.
I totally agree w/ you. I dont know why some people make a big deal out of the interior of the Supra Ive had both cars(MKIV Supra, couple of '98+ GS's) long term and I thought the Supra interior was just as functional as the GS. Of course it didnt look as luxurious but the Supra is a SPORTS CAR!!! Its not supposed to look like a Luxury Sedan(i.e. GS300/ 400)

Last edited by JAC JZS; 08-28-04 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-28-04, 03:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts
Default Re: Re: hated it...

Originally posted by flipside909
You're the 1% of the population that dislikes the Supra.
He said he disliked the interior (a lot), not the whole car.

I also think the interior isn't that nice. It just seems kinda cheap, spartan, which is probably in keeping with a 10 year old sports car design. No way you could launch a sports car today with that kind of interior, unless it was a very low production kit type car, like the Elise.
Old 08-28-04, 04:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Technics
Double post
You can delete posts - click edit, then check the delete post box, then click delete.
Old 08-28-04, 04:41 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

I appreciate sports cars that have the "Spartan" look. Nothing but the necessities, it helps keep the weight down on the vehicle which to me is key w/ a sports car for better handling and acceleration. If I want a Sporty 2 door car w/ a luxurious interior I'll drive a GT(Grand Tourer) car like the Mark VIII or G35 coupe, etc...
Old 08-28-04, 05:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by JAC JZS
I appreciate sports cars that have the "Spartan" look. Nothing but the necessities, it helps keep the weight down on the vehicle which to me is key w/ a sports car for better handling and acceleration. If I want a Sporty 2 door car w/ a luxurious interior I'll drive a GT(Grand Tourer) car like the Mark VIII or G35 coupe, etc...
Maybe because the Supra is a pretty big sports car I figured the interior would be nicer.

I can relate to a sports car interior being spartan, but it can still show style/quality. The Supra's is pretty bland.

I actually think the Miata's interior is MASSIVELY superior to the Supra.
Old 08-28-04, 10:57 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Maybe because the Supra is a pretty big sports car I figured the interior would be nicer.

I can relate to a sports car interior being spartan, but it can still show style/quality. The Supra's is pretty bland.

I actually think the Miata's interior is MASSIVELY superior to the Supra.
IMO the Supra's interior is even nicer than the Porsches today.
Old 08-28-04, 11:10 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also have a miata and the interior trumps the supra's any day, and the miata has a cheap interior.
now i like the supra just as much as anybody else, so i'm not bashing it for because i don't like it.
and being a old car has nothing to do with the look of the interior. there are lots of old cars with tolarable interiors.
i know supras are sport cars and i'm not looking for a luxuary supra, i just wish they mad it easier on the eyes

look at the mitsubishi eclipse, it technically has the same interior as the supra( look at the dash) but the interior of the eclipse is likeable, it's still cheap plastic but it is well done, if the eclipse was rear wheel drive it would be a mini supra(look wise) they'ed have to do something about the engine though.

basically to me no other sports car out there could even come close to the performance and style of the supra, but when i see the interior i get turner of...........................
there was someone that said they wanted to put the sc300 interior into a supra but it dos'nt match the car, so you see i'm nt looking for a leather wraped dash, or real wood steering wheel just something that would be as sexy as the exterior..................................
Old 08-28-04, 11:15 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

one more thing, do you guys genuenly like the supras interior or do you accept it because it has great performance and style, or do you not care you just want the presence that being a supra owner has.
Old 08-29-04, 12:29 AM
ARB
Lead Lap

I like the Supras interior & LOVE the exterior. For a 10 year old design it still looks very modern and eye-catching. The Supras interior may be thought of as bland by some but in that case those people should also feel that many Toyota/ Lexus interiors are bland. Toyota/ Lexus' signature is ergonomic & understated which is what I like. Some people think the GS/ LS/ SC interior is bland as well as many other models. Some people think Toyota/ Lexus vehicles are bland altogether in & out. I don't.

Last edited by ARB; 08-29-04 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-29-04, 11:38 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I love the performance of a Supra, but the lacking interior is how I ended up with a SC400. My 300Z's interior was a lot nicer than the Supra's from the ergonomic standpoint, to the grade of materials used within from the dash to the seats. The t-tops,....10 sec operation in and out,.... true it wasn't the beast of the east,...but a better total package.

You're the 1% of the population that dislikes the Supra. The Supra was and always will be a far more superior car than the 300ZX of the same years. As for quality of materials, you cannot say the same thing about them now since most Nissan cars look like plain cookie cutter cars (same engine shared on 5+ different platforms, ugly exterior designs with plastic interiors and horrid ergonomics worse than GM.

flipside,... everything you posted, i already addressed:

I conceed the supra is superior performance wise to a 300Z TT, however the Z showed up first in 90, not 93 1/2,... so one is a trendsetter, and I think possibly the only other car Japanese that could see a Z was the 3000GT VR4 before toyota revamped the Supra,... so 3.5 yrs of studying the competition before releasing a superior product??? who knows, who cares.

Interior comparison of now and then,... I didn't do, I compared it to it's competitors at the time, and at this time there is no Supra to compare to the 350Z or G35,... so that's a mute point.

Most all of my supra owners admit to their interior lacking vs the Z that I had... but then their comeback was they were faster,... not nicer or more comfortable.

I think the last thing I said in that post was,... if they put a turbo Supra's engine in SC300's, I don't think there would be a better balance of a car, luxury to performance ratio.

You can't find a stock Supra interior that can touch the materials, layout, or design. Mine came with leather and suede combo,.... not $2 plastic everything but the seats.....

:

Last edited by NAZTY97; 08-29-04 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-29-04, 12:14 PM
ARB
Lead Lap

Originally posted by NAZTY97

I think the last thing I said in that post was,... if they put a turbo Supra's engine in SC300's, I don't think there would be a better balance of a car, luxury to performance ratio.
First of all I definitely disagree w/ you about the 300zx interior being nicer than the Supra, Ive driven a 300zx many times and thought the interior looked like crap, and everything to me on the entire car played second fiddle to the Supra(exterior looks, performance, etc...).

Also I think the Supra exterior looks WAY netter than the '92-'96 SC exterior, better than the '97-'00, and again WAY better than the '02+ exterior... SO what you should have said was upgrading the interior of the Supra(i.e. adding wood, opitron gauges, or maybe some CF, etc...) would make for a perfect balance of a car. When I see a '97+ SC on the road I road I think 'nice car, looks good'(sans current gen ) but when I see an MKIV Supra on the road I think WOW amazing looking car, aggressive unique styling, ahead of its time, looks better than 95% of the '04 models on the road today!

Last edited by ARB; 08-29-04 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-30-04, 09:05 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

at this point, or actually since inception of the thread, this is all opinion,.... I like Supra's,...but I don't like the bulk of the car, specifically the rear above the front fender,... I agree wth you on the 92 -96 body SC 3/400's.... thus why I bought a 97,.... I still feel the SC's are sleeker looking than a supra,... but then again,... just my opinion, and as stated, opinions from my friends who own supars.

One said,... he'd have both, since they are both nice cars with their points that shine above on both sides.

I bought a SC400 simply because the interior was light years ahead in comfort, look, etc,...and the look of the car,.... where the supra was still a thought,... also, with the idea of boosting a V8 so I could be rare, and whoop my homies with Supra's....

The next car, to which I have no issues with exterior / interior is an NSX.....
Old 08-30-04, 11:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: hated it...

Originally posted by bitkahuna
He said he disliked the interior (a lot), not the whole car.

I also think the interior isn't that nice. It just seems kinda cheap, spartan, which is probably in keeping with a 10 year old sports car design. No way you could launch a sports car today with that kind of interior, unless it was a very low production kit type car, like the Elise.
Well, the 350Z's interior....a car that isn't much more than a year old.......has a pretty cheap interior, in my opinion....and it has sold very well.

Quick Reply: the hype of the supra