Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes Market Position Keep Weakening ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-04, 07:52 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Mercedes Market Position Keeps Weakening ?

GERMANY: Mercedes sales drop 9.4% in July
06 Aug 2004
Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Global sales at DaimlerChrysler's Mercedes Car Group fell 9.4% in July to 98,100 units, the carmaker reportedly said, led by a drop in its flagship Mercedes-Benz marque.

According to Reuters, sales of Mercedes brand vehicles declined 12.3% versus the year-earlier month, with the maker citing one fewer work day, the impact of worker demonstrations over planned cuts in labour costs, and retooling for its new A-class model.

Divisional sales fell 4.3% in the first seven months of 2004 to 682,900 units, the German group reportedly added, but said it still expected full-year sales to rise, helped by the re-launch of its revamped A-class small car in September.

"We are still on course for the full year with the current sales figures for all Mercedes-Benz model series," Joachim Schmidt, the division's head of sales and marketing, said in a statement cited by Reuters.

The company reportedly said over 35,000 customers had already placed orders for the new A-class car that hits the market in September, meaning it was more than two-thirds of the way towards reaching its 2004 sales target of 50,000 units.

Metzler Bank analyst Juergen Pieper called the Mercedes sales numbers a letdown, Reuters said.

"There are some signs that the market position of Mercedes keeps weakening and this is something you have to watch. Although expectations were not that high this year for Mercedes, it still seems to be disappointing," he reportedly said.

The company will have a real problem meeting its targets if the A-class rollout is not a success, Pieper added, according to Reuters.
They're relying on the A-class to meet targets. IMHO, the A class shouldn't even be considered a luxury car.

Source : LINK

Last edited by Gojirra99; 08-06-04 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-06-04, 09:08 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mercedes Market Position Keeps Weakening ?

Originally posted by SexySC
They're relying on the A-class to meet targets. IMHO, the A class shouldn't even be considered a luxury car.

Source : LINK
The A-class a luxery car, ROFL!!!!
It's a Golf compettitor for crying out loud.
Old 08-06-04, 09:31 AM
Ditto
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering that most MB sales assoc. are usually rude and on to themselves, they deserve it. The A-class is unmercedes like Base model is 82 horsepower diesel. What does it compete with? The Ford Focus? Wait hang on... I can get two ford Focus for the price of the A class.

Ford Focus

Last edited by Ditto; 08-06-04 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-06-04, 10:21 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

MB fat cats should try and steal MINI from BMW, it's worse than the 1-series.
Old 08-06-04, 11:29 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Honestly, I hope their position KEEPS weakening! (Maybe it will drive down the residual value of the E55!! )
Old 08-06-04, 11:49 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ditto
[B]Considering that most MB sales assoc. are usually rude and on to themselves, they deserve it. The A-class is unmercedes like Base model is 82 horsepower diesel. What does it compete with? The Ford Focus? Wait hang on... I can get two ford Focus for the price of the A class.

True!! MB associates does act like they are all high and mighty. Serves them right!! I've also noticed that Lexus dealers are also starting to act that way. I sure hope that does not back fire on them or toyota. I love toyotas and would sure hate to see them go down like MB.
Old 08-07-04, 02:31 AM
Stealther
Lead Lap

No doubt, a bunch of snobs at the MB dealership. The most friendly people seem to be at the Lexus, Ferrari and Cadillac dealerships. BMW salespeople also make it seem like they are doing you a favor by talking to you.
Old 08-07-04, 06:35 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Honestly, I hope their position KEEPS weakening! (Maybe it will drive down the residual value of the E55!! )
I guess I am not the ONLY E55 fan!!!!
Old 08-07-04, 06:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

The E55 is my favourite MB sedan too. But it's residual value isn't higher than the regular E class models even now - Link E class residual value
Old 08-07-04, 07:13 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Wow. Now THAT is a really great idea!

See guys! This way we don't get R&D on the next one!

I can't wait for MB to acquire Mini and build the E-class off of that!

I hope things shape up. Competition is good.

M.

Last edited by whipimpin; 08-07-04 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-07-04, 07:20 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Hahahaha, wishfull thinking!!