Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gentleman's Agreement removed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-04, 05:56 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gentleman's Agreement removed.

Don't know if you guys heard about this already, but the Japanese Gentleman's Agreement, which limited factory vehicle's outputs to 280ps max, has been removed. It was a voluntarily thing anyways, but now they finally put a definite end to it.

Some background info on the Gentleman's Agreement (from here described as GA haha):

1) Started in 1990, the GA was set up to reduce the worsening traffic and accident situation. At that time, the highest power car was the Fairlady Z (300ZX) at 280ps, so the limit was set there.

2) It was suppose to last only 3 years, but the economy starts to slide downward, and automakers wanted to keep the GA intact in order to reduce competition of horsepower to keep costs low.

3) SUV, minivan, and K-car boom also lead to the continued existance of the GA, because those cars don't reach 280ps, and people see no need to remove it.

4) But the GA hurts the luxury segment of JDM cars. While JDM cars can't go over 280ps, European rivals easily overpower the domestic cars. When BMWs and Benzs use high liter V12 engines, 280ps is what the Japanese people get.

5) Finally, the Department of Transportation in Japan realized that lifting the GA will help domestic economy, as well as boost company images.

6) The first car that will be produced outside the GA will be the next Honda Legend (Acura RL here). 300ps in Japan.

7) Side note, JDM bikes are limited to 100ps. They are working on lifting the limit also.

-----------------------------------------------

Here are some cars that are "not comfirmed but reliable " sources:

Honda Legend (Acura RL) - 300ps (confirmed)
Honda NSX - 350+ps
next Skyline GT-R - 400+ps
350Z - same as US output
Nissan Fuga/Cima (M45/Q45) - same as US output (340hp)
Toyota Soarer/Celsior (SC430/LS430) - same as US output (300hp)

here are some more interesting ones:
Toyota 4500GT (rumored to be based on the Volta) - 450hp
Toyota Supra (rumored to be released within 1 year) - 320hp

that's all for now.
Old 08-08-04, 05:58 PM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

faster cars :d
Old 08-08-04, 06:40 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously though, it's becoming ridiculous. Your average driver now has access to plenty of cars that can toast the quarter mile in under 15s for $25K or less. Just imagine what happens in 5 or 10 years when these cars lose value and become affordable to new drivers.

******* impending doom, that's what it is.

What else are they going to put in cars? Do we really need super sedans that weigh upwards of two or three tons, equipped with all sorts of distracting entertainment and comm devices that can also reach 155MPH in 30 seconds?

I think car manufacturers should scale back development. But the greed and lust of consumers knows no bounds, and car makers are more than happy to cater to it. Their existence depends on it. It's really sad, the automotive world is going straight to hell and, literally, we're at the wheel.

We've turned it into a giant pissing contest. It has to go faster and have more gadgets than the next guy's. Where will it stop? It really worries me about the future.

This isn't good news. Everyone knows damn well that the GA was disregarded from almost day one anyway.
Old 08-08-04, 07:19 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

whats the conversion from ps to horsepower?
Old 08-08-04, 07:32 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Faraaz23
whats the conversion from ps to horsepower?
very similar.

280ps = 276 hp.
Old 08-08-04, 07:33 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
Seriously though, it's becoming ridiculous. Your average driver now has access to plenty of cars that can toast the quarter mile in under 15s for $25K or less. Just imagine what happens in 5 or 10 years when these cars lose value and become affordable to new drivers.

******* impending doom, that's what it is.

What else are they going to put in cars? Do we really need super sedans that weigh upwards of two or three tons, equipped with all sorts of distracting entertainment and comm devices that can also reach 155MPH in 30 seconds?

I think car manufacturers should scale back development. But the greed and lust of consumers knows no bounds, and car makers are more than happy to cater to it. Their existence depends on it. It's really sad, the automotive world is going straight to hell and, literally, we're at the wheel.

We've turned it into a giant pissing contest. It has to go faster and have more gadgets than the next guy's. Where will it stop? It really worries me about the future.

This isn't good news. Everyone knows damn well that the GA was disregarded from almost day one anyway.
the only way to prevent that from happening is if Toyota takes 100% of the auto market and sells only Camry. Impossible but how else will people cut back development? Only if there's no competition.
Old 08-08-04, 08:29 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Doesn't really matter, automakers disregarded the GA a long time ago. While the automakers were rating their power at 280, in reality, their cars were really pushing much more power.
Old 08-09-04, 07:40 AM
LexFather

Nissan and Toyota are about to battle something crucial. And the EVO vs WRX should get interesting. The U.K already gets a 330hp EVO.

Old 08-09-04, 07:54 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Good news, thanks Globe!!
Old 08-09-04, 09:53 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Yes
Old 08-09-04, 11:52 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Gentleman's Agreement removed.

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
Here are some cars that are "not comfirmed but reliable " sources:

Honda Legend (Acura RL) - 300ps (confirmed)
Honda NSX - 350+ps
Hello...Honda!! The GA's not there anymore so it's OK to drop a V8 in your flagships, you hear me??

Japanese auto makers definitely needs this GA removed to be able to compete on all fronts with the Germans. They've got to think global and not confine themselves to the JDM needs, where high-powered cars are pretty much useless.

Hopefully this will soon bring an end to those typical "no soul" "no excitement" criticisms against Japanese cars.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-09-04 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-09-04, 11:54 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 0l33l
Yes
Old 08-09-04, 12:16 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

Originally posted by 0l33l
Yes
Originally posted by XeroK00L
Great. So tell me, guys, where do you see it stopping? Do you think it's a good thing that Accords and Camrys might eventually have 300HP?

This is one area where I would support heavy government regulation.
Old 08-09-04, 12:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i love to see the rule being lifted. now the race is really on watch out, germans
Old 08-09-04, 12:24 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Great. So tell me, guys, where do you see it stopping? Do you think it's a good thing that Accords and Camrys might eventually have 300HP?

This is one area where I would support heavy government regulation.
I don't see it stopping New technologies will keep on pushing the speed, horsepower, and torque barriers while still having an acceptable MPG. Why do you think it's bad if a car has over 300hp? It's not... it just means the engine is efficient, and therefore it provides more fun out of driving.

I hate goverment regulation. I'm a supporter of small goverment; the last thing I need the goverment to do is say how much power my car HAS to make.

Quick Reply: Gentleman's Agreement removed.