Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The new C6 is getting excellent reviews....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-04 | 09:02 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bitkahuna
If you're worried about gas prices, don't buy a vette, buy a Civic.
LoL
Old 08-17-04 | 09:16 PM
2ndchance
Pole Position

My father is presently getting ready to put a down payment on a C6 corvette. The car is absolutely beautiful and performs amazingly. The only drawback?

He's going to sell his mint '60 black on red 'Vette to provide the garage space.
Old 08-18-04 | 12:57 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

You guys talking about the Vette getting bad gas milage must have never driven a 6-speed. Even the current C5 gets amazing highway milage from the 6-speed's super tall overdrive gear. (some reports of OVER 30 MPG!). City is a little less, but still overall a moderately driven 6-speed C5 or C6 will actually get better milage than a GS3 or GS4!
Old 08-18-04 | 02:02 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

My dad drove from Oakland to Seattle, all freeway and averaged over 26 mpg on the drive back. Absolutely amazing for a car making over 350 hp. He just put the cruise control on, and enjoyed the view. Impressive for a 5.7...my 4.0 can't do that.

James
Old 08-18-04 | 05:05 AM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

Performance is awesome. Something funky about the proportions design of the body. With the huge 'booty' the rear wheels look tiny and there's a good bit of wheel gap.
Id have to agree. The coupe isnt sitting right with me, although the vert is pretty nice. As far as lowering the car, with the C5's you can lower them on the stock bolts. I dont know if that will be the same with the C6.

Also, as far as gas prices, I drove my C5 from Florida to NY and averaged 29.5 mpg. Normal around town is 23-24 and thats with not so easy driving.
Old 08-18-04 | 07:04 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

1) Leaking intake manifold dripping oil on exhaust pipe
2) Leaking injectors created excessive cranking when trying to start the car
3) Frozen Bilstein Shock
4) 3 Bose speakers replaced
5) 1 Radio replaced
6) 1 Transmission replaced
7) 1 master cylinder replaced

All under 45K miles. Yea, I visited Corvetteforuum everday while I owned the POS. I was amazed how we all had the same problems, I thought mine was lemmon but when everyone else had the problems I knew corvettes were junk. Grab the seat of a 2004 corvette, I like how it wiggles in your hand.
Old 08-18-04 | 11:19 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: The new C6 is getting excellent reviews....

Originally posted by advsystems

Interestingly, the SLK350/55, which I also like, has largely been absent from any press, even though it is supposed to be out next month. Make me think MBZ is having problems and/or delays.
One of my close friends was dragged by her boyfriend to his Benz dealer in Houston where she said they had a SLK320 there for people to see. She said the dealer said it wouldn't be available for another 6 months though. Anyone in Houston, u may be interested in going to the dealer (not sure which, but i'm sure if u call around u can find out) and lookin at it... a really awesome car in my opinion.
Old 08-18-04 | 12:13 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Performance is awesome. Something funky about the proportions design of the body. With the huge 'booty' the rear wheels look tiny and there's a good bit of wheel gap.

I'm nearly positive that the C6 in that picture is braking, thus the front end is diving and the rear is raising up. Especially since it's heading downhill, which causes the rear end to raise up even more than usual when braking.

FWIW, the front wheels are 18, the rears are 19. You think they should make the rear wheels 20" instead? When is this "bigger wheels are better" madness going to stop?

Bigger wheels, past a certain point (like usually 17 or 18 inch) do absolutely nothing good for a car except sometimes for its looks. Beyond that you have much more expensive tires, wheels and tires much more prone to damage, a rougher more jolting ride over large bumps and even small irregularities, worse acceleration/braking/handling/gas milage, and even worse life of brakes and suspension components because of the extra unsprung weight they have to support.

True, some newer types of wheels are made using newer techniques like VPC that allow for wheel weights to remain roughly the same as wheels steadily increase in size over the years, but that still doesn't help the stiff ride or damage going over potholes issue any.

Last edited by Threxx; 08-18-04 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-18-04 | 01:36 PM
ias
Pole Position

all this talk so i ordered a new c6 today, supposed to be here in october-november.....
if its junk ya'll can say you told me so. big bird mode......yellow.
Old 08-18-04 | 01:40 PM
ias
Pole Position

for the record i would keep the 60' in a minute
Old 08-18-04 | 02:10 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ias
all this talk so i ordered a new c6 today, supposed to be here in october-november.....
Good to hear man, let us know how it all goes once yuo get it in. and of course, post up pics.

James
Old 08-18-04 | 02:46 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by ias
Congrats!
On another note, I don't think people who buy sports cars or Vettes worry about gas mileage.
Old 08-18-04 | 02:58 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Don't whine about the V8's gas mileage. I just finished a 100% city cycle on my Forester and only got about 16MPG. Most shifts were performed at about 4000RPM. Granted, the boxer is very green and only has about 800 miles on it. I'm hoping for an increase as more miles get on the clock...

I've always had respect for the Americans, especially GM, for getting decent gas milage out of their V8s.

Last edited by SecPole14; 08-18-04 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-18-04 | 03:08 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
Don't whine about the V8's gas mileage. I just finished a 100% city cycle on my Forester and only got about 16MPG. Most shifts were performed at about 4000RPM. Granted, the boxer is very green and only has about 800 miles on it. I'm hoping for an increase as more miles get on the clock...

I've always had respect for the Americans, especially GM, for getting decent gas milage out of their V8s.
i thought my i-Vetc is horrible. i still get 19MPG average 21mpg if i m lucky
Old 08-18-04 | 05:20 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Don't know whether I'd buy one, but I 'd love to take one for a long test drive for sure

Quick Reply: The new C6 is getting excellent reviews....