Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The new C6 is getting excellent reviews....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-04 | 07:00 PM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Originally posted by XYZLexus1
I have always thought and believed corvettes are 50K mile cars. They are built cheaply. The only thing they do consistently is smoke the tires and breakdown. GM service will be quite painfull for you since you are used Lexus service. It will be a night and day difference to put it midly. I would never buy the first model year.
After consulting my crystal ball, I've concluded:

1. You've never owned a mid 90's C4 or C5 Corvette
2. You've been beat by a Corvette on more than one occasion with your significant other in the car
Old 08-19-04 | 08:19 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

tomtnc
Your crystal ball is wrong. I owned a 95 for 4 years. I forgot four other items it had to have repaired:
1) The SIR sensors
2) The optitron ignition module.
3) EGR valve replaced
4) Belt tensioner replaced

I do alot of my own car work but my bills still added up to $4,500 dollars for about 17K miles of ownership.

I went to Corvettes of Houston to trade once. He gave me the keys to a 2001. Before leaving the lot I found 3 issues, digit missing on the radio display, It indicated one of the tires was low on air when it was not, driver side window would not work. The POS had 12K miles.

I do want to thank you, I was getting frustrated with my center console buzzing noise again in my GS300 but now that you made me remember the nightmare of that corvette POS I could not be happier with my Lexus!!!!!!

Go look at a new vet, it does not even have a power recline button for the seats.

If you want a vet buy a 63 to 68. You will pay 35K, but in 1 year or 10 years it will still be worth 35K or more. You buy a new vet, and in 5 to 6 years it will be worth 20K and the frustration of dealing with GM service departments will kill you.

I am a huge GM fan just not a Corvette fan.
Old 08-19-04 | 11:35 AM
ias
Pole Position

my crystal ball says corvettes of houston goes to the auction like everyone else, buys junk vettes the dealer that took it on trade didnt want, or the lease everyone else ragged .... if you want a nice vette buy it from the retired old man that washes it everyday, not the punk like me that dogged it and right before it fell apart traded it in.
Old 08-19-04 | 11:51 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

I bought mine off a 63 year old man that was selling because his allergies were bad and he could not drive with the convertible top down. It had 30K mile when I purchased and was flawless or I thought.

Corvettes of Houston is particular about the cars they purchase and overpriced. Regardless of how one drives I do not beleive you can wear out a digit on the radio, or put the window up and down so many times that it quits working on a 2001 model that was only 1 year od when I looked at it. As far as the wheel sensor for inflation the rims did not appear to be bent or have any curb rash. I can assure you when I got done testing driving the car had less rubber on the rear tires.

When I drove mine away the old man told me, "everyone needs to own a vette once#, I now know what he was talking about.

My brothers both had 97 Trans Ams. Both also had to have the opti-spark replaced (Ingnition coil) at $750. One of theirs leaked at the manifold also. If I had to buy a new vette I would lease beat the crap out of it and turn it back in.
Old 08-19-04 | 12:03 PM
ias
Pole Position

i do agree that that the opti spark is a bad unit but if he paid $750 for he got boned. you have some other valid points though. bottom line is if you can afford a new c6 you can afford to take a loss when you sell it, a new car is not an investment its a toy.
Old 08-19-04 | 09:05 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ias
my crystal ball says corvettes of houston goes to the auction like everyone else, buys junk vettes the dealer that took it on trade didnt want, or the lease everyone else ragged .... if you want a nice vette buy it from the retired old man that washes it everyday, not the punk like me that dogged it and right before it fell apart traded it in.
A well build car should not fall apart after one year -- especially one with a huge pricetag
Old 08-20-04 | 07:08 AM
ias
Pole Position

$44,000 is not a huge price tag these days...you can't even get an escalade for that, it barley covers a suburban.
Old 08-20-04 | 07:33 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ias
$44,000 is not a huge price tag these days...you can't even get an escalade for that, it barley covers a suburban.
Wow, more examples of crappy domestic cars.

Sorry, if I would be spending $40K on any car, I would certainly not compromise quality and build for performance.
Old 08-20-04 | 07:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I'd have to say let's wait and take the new C6 Corvette hype with a grain or two of salt. We've heard this more than once in the past......an all-new " improved " Corvette....only to see the same rattles, squeaks, leaks, etc.... come back right over again. And each time we heard the same old story....." Yes, THIS time GM has finally gotten it right ". When you cry wolf so many times, you reach a point where no one believes you any longer even when you DO get it correct. So...has GM in FACT gotten it correct this time?

We'll find out with time.