Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The new C6 is getting excellent reviews....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-04 | 01:51 PM
advsystems
Driver

Default The new C6 is getting excellent reviews....

and my GS4 is almost 5 years old......

Different types of cars I know, but from everything I've read, they sound pretty awesome.

My only concerns would be:

1) reliability/quality. Let's face it; not GM's strong mark and the CTS/CTS-V have been reported to be worse than average in this area (according to Consumer Reports). I have had 3 Chevy products during the 90's and vowed never to return.

2) dealer 'mark-ups' and limited inventory

3) Insurance.

4) the assinine forced 1-4 shift on light throttle.

I'd like to take one for a test drive when they are released later this month, but I'm wondering if there is a backlog of orders already. My colleage, who is an avid sports car nut, drove a Z06 & said it was the only production car he's driven that left him with an adrenaline rush.

Interestingly, the SLK350/55, which I also like, has largely been absent from any press, even though it is supposed to be out next month. Make me think MBZ is having problems and/or delays.

Last edited by advsystems; 08-17-04 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-17-04 | 02:03 PM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

I have always thought and believed corvettes are 50K mile cars. They are built cheaply. The only thing they do consistently is smoke the tires and breakdown. GM service will be quite painfull for you since you are used Lexus service. It will be a night and day difference to put it midly. I would never buy the first model year.
Old 08-17-04 | 02:16 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't buy a first model year either. Give them a year to work out all the tiny bugs. The Corvette is getting only top marks except for Top Gear, but then again, there's an article about thier review saying how ridiculous they were being during the test.

For your concerns, a shift skip eliminator can be had for $20 (still, it's ridiculous), and although GM quality is not Lexus, it's not horrible either, and better than than any other exotic (except Porsche). Also the Vette is cheaper to maintain. I think how GM has marked up all special edition vehicles from the Grand Nationals, to the SyTys, to the Impala and Silverado SS, to the CTS-V and the GTO, is absolutely nuts. It's offensive, and gives them an aura of being so full of themselves that they can get by doing this.

James
Old 08-17-04 | 02:23 PM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

I have always thought and believed corvettes are 50K mile cars. They are built cheaply. The only thing they do consistently is smoke the tires and breakdown. GM service will be quite painfull for you since you are used Lexus service. It will be a night and day difference to put it midly. I would never buy the first model year.
Corvettes are definately not 50K mile cars. Come visit Corvetteforum.com and you will see many of the members with 100K+ on their rides. The build quality certainly isnt Lexus quality, but far from being built cheaply. They have a few issues, but they are easily fixable.

I will agree with the levels of GM service. Finding a good GM dealer is few and far between, but they are out there. I will say the opposite for Lexus service. The vast majority of good Lexus dealers are common, but to find one with poor levels of service are rare.

Insurance.......imo, if you cant afford the insurance on a car, then you shouldnt buy it. Again, just my opinion.

On the C5's , you can get a bypass to get rid of the 1st to 4th shift. Im not 100% positive, but I think I remember hearing that GM did that so they wouldnt be classified as falling in the gas guzzlers tax.

Anyone catch the new Corvette commercial?? Its the one with the kid fantazizing about driving it and sees a cute girl driving one?? Its an awesome commercial!
Old 08-17-04 | 02:38 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LexRoc
Corvettes are definately not 50K mile cars. Come visit Corvetteforum.com and you will see many of the members with 100K+ on their rides. The build quality certainly isnt Lexus quality, but far from being built cheaply. They have a few issues, but they are easily fixable.

I will agree with the levels of GM service. Finding a good GM dealer is few and far between, but they are out there. I will say the opposite for Lexus service. The vast majority of good Lexus dealers are common, but to find one with poor levels of service are rare.

Insurance.......imo, if you cant afford the insurance on a car, then you shouldnt buy it. Again, just my opinion.

On the C5's , you can get a bypass to get rid of the 1st to 4th shift. Im not 100% positive, but I think I remember hearing that GM did that so they wouldnt be classified as falling in the gas guzzlers tax.

Anyone catch the new Corvette commercial?? Its the one with the kid fantazizing about driving it and sees a cute girl driving one?? Its an awesome commercial!
Yup, saw it during the Olympics. They have a disclaimer saying it's only a dream, do not attempt.

Anyways, you wanna find a Lexus dealership that's bad, check out Lexus of Bellevue in Bellevue, WA.

James
Old 08-17-04 | 02:39 PM
ias
Pole Position

ive had plently of vettes they are built good(not like a lexus but good), they are not meant to be daily drivers but are able to be driven daily, that why most of the ones you see have low miles. it is true if you buy the first year you will get most of the bugs, but you will be one of the first with one, take the good with the bad. i say buy it...if you can afford it.
Old 08-17-04 | 03:01 PM
LexFather

For 45k, you can't beat it. 400horses out the bag. Wow. It's upped the bar on performance/value again.
Old 08-17-04 | 03:18 PM
advsystems
Driver

Originally posted by jet864
Yup, saw it during the Olympics. They have a disclaimer saying it's only a dream, do not attempt.

Anyways, you wanna find a Lexus dealership that's bad, check out Lexus of Bellevue in Bellevue, WA.

James
Lexus of Pleasanton, CA stinks.

I agree that GM service sucks ***!

That said, Honda/Toyota is no Lexus-level servcie either.

But the 06 vette looks pretty damn good. Hard to justify Porsche's $79k BASE price for the 350HP 911S. Porsche, like BMW are way too expensive when decently equipped. IMHO

35 y/o, married, no tickets, homeowner; insurance shouldn't be too bad; at least I hope not.

I just won't pay additional markup, so it will be interesting to see how dealers address pricing.

Last edited by advsystems; 08-17-04 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-17-04 | 03:48 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Car and Driver gave this car an excellent review as well. I really like the new "taut" look especially in dark colors. The car has a sporty GT look to it. I am not sure about first year reliability and markups, etc. Also, I dont think it will be anything close to a GS in the daily driver category. Maybe get a daily driver and the Corvette?

Good luck.
Old 08-17-04 | 05:05 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

The corvette is a classic and improves its look to me upon every new design I see. I think it's a great value and something to be considered by anyone looking for value per cash.

-Anthon
Old 08-17-04 | 07:02 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

The Top Gear review said the interior was cheap. Plus I can image how much it is going to cost with the high gas prices
Old 08-17-04 | 07:12 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

The engine probably will last a long time. Not sure about the rest of the car though...

Ed
Old 08-17-04 | 08:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 0l33l
Plus I can image how much it is going to cost with the high gas prices
If you're worried about gas prices, don't buy a vette, buy a Civic.
Old 08-17-04 | 08:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Performance is awesome. Something funky about the proportions design of the body. With the huge 'booty' the rear wheels look tiny and there's a good bit of wheel gap.

Old 08-17-04 | 08:59 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

The car is what it is and does what it's meant to well. 0-60 in 4.3, 12.7 quarter for $45K. Not too sure if you would want it as a daily driver but it's a great performance value. Simular numbers to last gens Z06!

Quick Reply: The new C6 is getting excellent reviews....