Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is AWD going to take over???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-04, 09:03 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mmarshall
I, too, live in the D.C. area ( Vienna, VA ) like you do, and I agree that AWD is not as much of a necessity in this area like it is in places further N and W like WV, upstate NY, Ohio, etc... But the last few winters here we have had our share of snow, and big blizzards can and do strike here as they move up the East Coast. The only thing that has kept this area from really being a bigger AWD market is the fact that the local Highway Departments throw down tremendous amounts of salt and sand at the first flake, and therefore snow on the roads generally doesn't last very long here. Local people know this....but even so, the sale of AWD hybrids and wagons has just exploded here in the last couple of years.
People somehow still manage to freak at the first few flakes of snow, though, even if it's only a flurry, and rush out to Giant or Safeway to buy water and sand and TP. Silly Washingtonians. Baltimorons aren't any better. New Englanders don't even bat an eye.
Old 08-24-04, 12:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by Incendiary
Ah, okay. Are there still CV joints on RWD cars?
Not on traditional RWD cars....but RWD cars with independent rear suspensions and independent rear axles have boots and universal joints on the rear drive shafts to allow the drive shafts to feed power to the rear wheels while the wheels and suspension bounce up and down independently. A good example of the difference here is the Mustang GT and Cobra. The regular Mustang GT has what is called a " live " rear axle....similiar to a pickup truck. The differential and rear drive shafts are all in one solid housing, with a simple rear suspension. The more sophisticated Cobra has an independently-sprung rear end of the type I described above, with extra universal joints and a more sophisticated suspension....which, of course, costs more to produce, hence the Cobra's higher price.
Old 08-24-04, 01:14 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Not on traditional RWD cars....but RWD cars with independent rear suspensions and independent rear axles have boots and universal joints on the rear drive shafts to allow the drive shafts to feed power to the rear wheels while the wheels and suspension bounce up and down independently. A good example of the difference here is the Mustang GT and Cobra. The regular Mustang GT has what is called a " live " rear axle....similiar to a pickup truck. The differential and rear drive shafts are all in one solid housing, with a simple rear suspension. The more sophisticated Cobra has an independently-sprung rear end of the type I described above, with extra universal joints and a more sophisticated suspension....which, of course, costs more to produce, hence the Cobra's higher price.
Ah, okay. I had an independent mechanic replace the CV joints of my old 1991 MB 190E. Just checking, because at the time I wasn't sure if he was dumbing it down for me, fleecing me, or being honest.
Old 08-24-04, 05:34 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AWD is better for those parts of the country where we get some nice snow in the winter. One option i'm looking at now is G35x...if i venture in the redesigned GS soon it will be the lower powered AWD version for sure.
Old 08-25-04, 05:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Ah, okay. I had an independent mechanic replace the CV joints of my old 1991 MB 190E. Just checking, because at the time I wasn't sure if he was dumbing it down for me, fleecing me, or being honest.
He WAS honest....if, in fact the "CV" joints WERE bad. Actually, on a rear drive shaft, it would be a universal joint, not a CV joint. The difference between the two is that a universal joint , unlike a CV, or " Constant-Velocity " joint, only allows drive-shaft movement up-and-down. A CV joint, on the other hand, is attached to the front wheel assembly on a FWD car and allows drive-shaft movement AND front-wheel steerage all at once. It is a more complex device than a simple universal joint, and almost always has a rubber "boot" to cover it and protect it. These "boots" should be inspected at regular intervals and replaced if if torn or damaged. Sometimes silicon rubber preservatives can extend their life. Simple universal joints may or may not have boots...depending on their design and location.

On a couple of unusual vehicles with 4-wheel steering, like the current Quadrasteer Chevy / GM pickups, older Mazda 4WS vehicles, 4WS Honda Preludes, and the Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4 / Dodge Stealth Turbo 4WS, CV joints were also placed at the rear wheels also to allow the rear wheels to turn in and out with the front ones.

I hope that clears it up for you. Interesting you mention a 1991 M-B. M-B was one of the first companies (many years ago) that perfected the RWD independent-suspension and axle designs with their universal joints. Before that, almost all RWD designs were live-axle.
Old 08-25-04, 07:43 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

He WAS honest....if, in fact the "CV" joints WERE bad. Actually, on a rear drive shaft, it would be a universal joint, not a CV joint. The difference between the two is that a universal joint , unlike a CV, or " Constant-Velocity " joint, only allows drive-shaft movement up-and-down. A CV joint, on the other hand, is attached to the front wheel assembly on a FWD car and allows drive-shaft movement AND front-wheel steerage all at once. It is a more complex device than a simple universal joint, and almost always has a rubber "boot" to cover it and protect it. These "boots" should be inspected at regular intervals and replaced if if torn or damaged. Sometimes silicon rubber preservatives can extend their life. Simple universal joints may or may not have boots...depending on their design and location.

On a couple of unusual vehicles with 4-wheel steering, like the current Quadrasteer Chevy / GM pickups, older Mazda 4WS vehicles, 4WS Honda Preludes, and the Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4 / Dodge Stealth Turbo 4WS, CV joints were also placed at the rear wheels also to allow the rear wheels to turn in and out with the front ones.

I hope that clears it up for you. Interesting you mention a 1991 M-B. M-B was one of the first companies (many years ago) that perfected the RWD independent-suspension and axle designs with their universal joints. Before that, almost all RWD designs were live-axle.
Yeah, I think they were bad, because the car would make horrible creaking noises when I turned, especially in parking lots (low speeds). Interestingly, I think it started right after I got it back from him for some other maintenance, although I can't remember for sure if that was the case.

What ever happened to 4WS anyway?
Old 08-25-04, 07:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I think they were bad, because the car would make horrible creaking noises when I turned, especially in parking lots (low speeds). Interestingly, I think it started right after I got it back from him for some other maintenance, although I can't remember for sure if that was the case.

What ever happened to 4WS anyway?
Bad or worn wheel bearings can also make creaking, grinding, or drumming noises while turning, not just U or CV joints. That is when the most pressure is put on them.

4WS went out of vogue on cars due for several reasons....complexity, cost, difficult service, etc.... but recently has seen a resurgence in the GM full-size pickups. Larger trucks benefit the most from it....it greatly increases manuverability at low speeds and parking. Try to aim one of those dinosaurs into or out of a tight shopping mall space without it and you' ll see what I mean.