Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is AWD going to take over???

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-04, 04:09 PM
LexFather

Default Is AWD going to take over???

With all this talk of FWD and it's drawbacks and inheret "blahness" I wonder if RWD might be going too. With the article that Benz is making AWD standard on the S430 and S500, with the AWD Audis and G35X and with Lexus committing to offering AWD vehicles, with Suburu, the AWD EVO, the AWD Lamoborghinis.....

Is AWD trying to takeover?????

Old 08-19-04, 04:32 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is AWD going to take over???

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
With all this talk of FWD and it's drawbacks and inheret "blahness" I wonder if RWD might be going too. With the article that Benz is making AWD standard on the S430 and S500, with the AWD Audis and G35X and with Lexus committing to offering AWD vehicles, with Suburu, the AWD EVO, the AWD Lamoborghinis.....

Is AWD trying to takeover?????
In michigan it will
Old 08-19-04, 04:32 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nah
some awd systems are just awesome like the R34's
Old 08-19-04, 04:33 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

AWD is the new FWD. Which would kinda be OK if the majority of the systems were RWD-bias or 50/50, but most will probably be FWD-bias, which is ghey.

Nothing beats RWD.
Old 08-19-04, 09:51 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
AWD is the new FWD. Which would kinda be OK if the majority of the systems were RWD-bias or 50/50, but most will probably be FWD-bias, which is ghey.

Nothing beats RWD.
Can't beleive I'm agreeing with you
Old 08-20-04, 04:57 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 0l33l
Can't beleive I'm agreeing with you
Ha.
Old 08-20-04, 05:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Nothing beats RWD. :

Yes and no. RWD is better for high-speed cornering on DRY surfaces, acceleration from low speeds as the car's weight shifts rearward on the rear wheels, more even weight distribution front-to-rear, more even tire wear, more even brake wear, better steering feel (lack of torque steer), less understeer, easier access to some engine parts, and for keeping some maintenance functions simpler. Traction control, ABS, and stability systems have partially addressed the RWD traction problems but still they lag FWD cars in this area. Otherwise, FWD is better for most drivers, most of the time, under most driving conditions. All other things equal, FWD gives better wet and snow traction, more space and gas efficiency, and more stabilizing effect at higher speeds due to the gyro effects of the spinning driveshafts and the heavy powertrain on the front wheels. Disadvantages, of course, are torque steer at heavy throttle with some designs, uneven tire and brake wear, and more complex work on the front end....you often have to rea-align everything after brake and suspension work.
I myself like AWD even outside the Snow Belt. I'd trade my RWD IS300 in a minute for an AWD IS300 if Lexus would just build one ( and why I've got more than just a passing interest in the new Outback ). At the expense of a little added weight and complexity, AWD gives you the advantages of both RWD and FWD systems combined, even on dry roads, and in my opinion is the way to go unless you want to do powerslides or drifting, which is essentially race-related stuff anyway.
Old 08-20-04, 09:21 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Ha.
Old 08-20-04, 11:40 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think FWD will disapear.
FWD is still the cheapest way to produce.
What I do think is that AWD will be bigger in the middle and upperclass cars.
Old 08-20-04, 12:36 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't driven an AWD yet, so I can't comment on it, but I do miss my IS' RWD! FWD just feels sloppy when making corners.
Old 08-21-04, 02:20 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

I dunno. My friend has a turboed IS300 and he also has a Civic Si as his daily driver. Even though his car is FWD, he says it handles better in cornering and when he goes to the canyons. I myself have driven his civic and damn can that thing handle! Even though you can get 50/50 weight distrubution with rwd cars, i dont see any superiority in having a RWD car. I always have to worry about my rear kicking out. All i know is that my friends with FWD cars can take turns way faster than i can with no problem. I guess the only drawback in fwd is torque steer, but its bearable....and the fact that FWD can only handle so much power.

But i do see that AWD systems are really getting into the mix now. Even acura is going to add AWD as an option to all of their cars in the near future after the new RL is released. Infiniti seems to be headed in that direction with the g35x and the upcoming GT-R. Which cars in the lexus lineup if going to have an awd option?

Last edited by Xenthar; 08-21-04 at 02:22 AM.
Old 08-21-04, 12:31 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

I could just be another fad. Its about time for a new one.
Old 08-21-04, 01:08 PM
thailegend
Pole Position

More practicality, and this will lead to mroe people thinking they can push 90 in the rain....
Old 08-21-04, 01:41 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Arrow

Originally posted by thailegend
More practicality, and this will lead to mroe people thinking they can push 90 in the rain....
You're right. It's going to give people a false sense of confidence. And then the (safety) advantages of AWD will be nullified.

Old 08-21-04, 03:44 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I see lots of Audis here. If Lexus provides AWD option on their cars, Lexus will sell more cars in the snowy states.

Quick Reply: Is AWD going to take over???