Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So what do you think of the new Carlsson CK55RS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-04, 02:59 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts
Default So what do you think of the new Carlsson CK55RS?

Carlsson CK55 RS
Text & photos courtesy Carlsson *********** GmbH
08-13-2004

http://www.germancarfans.com/tuners....ercedes/1.html

The most exciting CLS 4-door coupé ever

Based on the Mercedes Benz CLS AMG

Power boost to 560 bhp
Carlsson 1/16 Ultra Light forged wheels
Complete range of aerodynamic parts
Mercedes-Benz tuner Carlsson *********** of Gut Wiesenhof in Merzig, presents the Carlsson CK55 RS. On the basis of the CLS 55 AMG and oriented completely towards the Carlsson philosophy, the company's engineers have developed a fascinating dream car with some imposing performance data.

Impressive power hike to 560 bhp
The heart of the Carlsson CK55 RS is the supercharged 8-cylinder engine, which has been tuned to 560 bhp and can catapult the elegant saloon car from 0 to 100 km/h in just 4.4 seconds. Air resistance finally puts an end to the relentless acceleration of the Carlsson CK55 RS at a speed well in excess of 300 km/h. For safety reasons, Carlsson's engineering team decided to limit the top speed electronically to 320 km/h. The same applies to the torque which has been raised to 780 Nm between 2600 and 4500 rpm.

The Carlsson CM50 K is based on the CLS 500. After Carlsson's engineers have breathed on the engine, it produces a useful 430 bhp and accelerates the elegant four-door Carlsson coupé from 0-100 km/h in just 4.9 seconds (standard model: 6.1 sec.) and then on to a top speed of 283 km/h.

Electronic lowering
Underscored by the sonorous sound of the 8-cylinder engine, the impressive elasticity fulfils even the highest expectations in terms of vehicle dynamics and comfort. Regardless of the situation, the driver not only has enormous reserves of power on tap but also, thanks to the C-Tronic® lowering system developed by Carlsson, can enjoy a new dimension of enthusiastic driving. The combination of a lower centre of gravity, precisely matched chassis components and Carlsson's ultra-light forged wheels results in unparalleled driving dynamics.

Carlsson 1/16 Ultra Light forged wheels
The dimensions of the Carlsson 1/16 Ultra Light forged wheels on the front axle are 8.5 x 19" with 245/35 tyres and 10 x 19" with 285/30 tyres at the back. In conjunction with the unique forging technology, the extremely complex manufacturing process results in a significant weight saving with conventional light alloy wheels of the same size being 50 percent heavier. Besides the technical benefits, the highly polished Carlsson 1/16 Ultra Light forged wheels are also distinguished by their extremely elegant appearance.

Carlsson aerodynamic parts
Carlsson decided to fit a front-spoiler lip to ensure optimum cooling of all vital components, such as the brakes and engine, under even the most extreme conditions. This improves the flow of cooling air through an enlarged and central air inlet. Additionally, side openings beneath the headlights provide additional cooling for the brakes. The back is dominated by the Carlsson rear spoiler, which reduces lift dramatically and guarantees a further improvement to both handling and roadholding. Completing the conversion are a rear-skirt lip with integrated tailpipes and an under-floor wing with polished, stainless steel mesh.

Two stainless steel rear silencers with twin oval tailpipes
The sound of the powerful V8 is underscored by stainless steel rear silencers. A lower backpressure compared to the standard system releases additional power. Characterised by first-class craftsmanship, the 4-pipe system emits an exciting but subdued sound. Moreover, the twin oval tailpipes have bee deposited, the double-wall design prevents the tailpipes from becoming discoloured by the heat of the exhaust gases.

The finest interior appointments
However, the Carlsson CK55 RS is not just a visual treat from the outside. The inside is also easy on the eye and surrounds the driver and passengers with choice materials. High-grade Carlsson leather appointments, numerous inserts made of real carbon and the ergonomically designed Carlsson sports steering round off the complete conversion. Indeed, there are no limits on individual wishes when it comes to fitting out Carlsson automobiles.

Carlsson *********** GmbH has been an exclusive manufacturer of individual high-performance automobiles based on Mercedes-Benz cars for many years. With the Carlsson CK55 RS, which will be available in the spring of next year, the company provides impressive evidence of its skills in this field.

Further information about the exclusive range of tuning parts for Mercedes-Benz automobiles is available from Carlsson in Merzig, the Carlsson sales network or any Carlsson dealer. Details can also be found on the Internet at www.carlsson.de.

Old 08-20-04, 03:03 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice specs.......but the car still doesn't do it for me.
Old 08-20-04, 03:15 PM
MY GS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Richie
Very nice specs.......but the car still doesn't do it for me.
I agree with you.

Do not get me wrong. It is a very fine car. But it is not my taste.

-Donald
Old 08-20-04, 03:27 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Doesn't matter, 'cause it costs too much. Plus, that grille is a travesty.
Old 08-20-04, 04:12 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Don't care for the wheels too much, but I like the aero and performance mods Carlsson did.
Old 08-20-04, 04:27 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Impressive work. I'm not sure whether the exterior changes they made is an improvement or not. I'd love to see a shot of the interior that the article raves so much about though.

The CLS with its round-off butt is one car that can benefit from a big spoiler IMO.
Old 08-20-04, 04:48 PM
BLexACK LS
Lead Lap

in just regards to the looks i like the lines on it, but the front end really does kill it for me
Old 08-20-04, 06:18 PM
legendary
Racer

its nice, but not really feeling that one. On that note, I am not really big on the Maybach either.
Old 08-20-04, 06:22 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by legendary
its nice, but not really feeling that one. On that note, I am not really big on the Maybach either.
Ditto.

-Anthony
Old 08-20-04, 07:45 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i know i'm not crazy but isn't the front lip bigger than the rear lip in the pic?
Old 08-21-04, 04:00 PM
LexFather

me likey!

Old 08-21-04, 04:06 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Still doesn't do too much for me. I may change my mind when I see it in person tho.
Old 08-22-04, 04:08 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

I think for the same price i'd rather have a diffrent car with a horse on the hood.
Old 08-22-04, 05:47 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

black one would look a lot better IMO
Old 08-22-04, 06:37 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by IVXX
I think for the same price i'd rather have a diffrent car with a horse on the hood.
Well, at least the CLS offers four dours and full-fledged luxury. Good for those who want a more dynamic-looking S-Class I guess.
A comparison to Ferrari is really apples to oranges.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-22-04 at 06:39 PM.

Quick Reply: So what do you think of the new Carlsson CK55RS?