Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Mustang spy pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-04, 03:08 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hmm, are there two different designs? 4 headlights total and 2 headlights total?

The headlights/grill aren't so bad, but the rest is just blah
Old 08-22-04, 05:45 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by juan01
hmm, are there two different designs? 4 headlights total and 2 headlights total?

The headlights/grill aren't so bad, but the rest is just blah
GT got 4 head lights (2 fog lights) but base one got only 2, at least i think.

only one word for the new mustang>> stop making those and do something else.
Old 08-22-04, 07:03 PM
LexFather

Old 08-22-04, 07:33 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

dont like it... its fuglier than the concept... maybe if they added bigger wheels instead of the cheap *** 15s...
Old 08-22-04, 10:33 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I have always been a big fan of classic mustangs, 1964 1/2 - 1970 in particular. But the new mustangs leave much to be desired imo. While the styling and performance #s of the current gen are great, the overall build quality is crap, which includes cheap interior plastics, wide uneven panel gaps, poor reliability, etc.

When i saw the concept model for the new Mustang i was very excited, the car was HOT period.......but the production model looks like a cheap POS kia, what is Ford doing.
Old 08-23-04, 02:02 AM
iloveGS300
Driver

Not feeling the retro styling. IMO it shows lack of creativity and design R&D laziness...

Robert
Old 08-23-04, 03:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally posted by SexySC
I like it better than the current one. Reminds me of the 60's model.

This car is going to sell, and I mean SELL, on its looks alone, not necessarily on quality. Fords almost never sell on just quality, though the F-150 has done fairly well in the quality dept.
Old 08-23-04, 07:33 AM
Milla...

That thing is not in the lest bit attractive very very cheap, Fisher Price looking. For a sporty auto the rear overhang is too long, side front markers are too long, wheels too small, also the car sits too high. That car will require a lot of serious modding to get it to look anywhere near decent IMO. It looks as though they,re only trying to compete with the likes of the Pontiac Gran Am.
Old 08-23-04, 07:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

One reason a lot of you guys don't like the new Mustang is that, unlike me, you don't remember ( or are too young to remember ) the original one in the mid-60's. And THAT car....like this one....was not particularly well-built, especially in the body and hardware. It was essentially a Ford Falcon with a different body on it. But...quality or not....it set an all-time Detroit first-year sales record that to this day I don't think has ever been equalled. People just went nuts over it in spite of the fact that in some areas GM and Chrysler at that time built better cars. And....is THIS car going to sell? The jury, of course is still out, but my prediction is YES, quality or not. And the V8 versions should handily outsell the new GTO simply because, unlike the new GTO, THIS car actually LOOKS like the retro nameplate it is bringing back. We're seing the same thing with the new Chrysler 300C...it sells because of retro looks, power, and affordability.
Old 08-23-04, 08:52 AM
Milla...

Ohhh I remember the car loud and clear, my issue is not build quality or reliability, as we know its a Ford so theres no debate over that the name says it all. My issue is the execusion of the final design, in comparison to what they've been teasing us with in the last year, its a disappointment.

This car reminds me of a blind date that a friend may try and get you all excited about, and the person turns out to be totally opposite of the nice things said about them once you saw and met them, but then thats what you figured anyway.
Old 08-23-04, 03:52 PM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mmarshall
because, unlike the new GTO, THIS car actually LOOKS like the retro nameplate it is bringing back. We're seing the same thing with the new Chrysler 300C...it sells because of retro looks, power, and affordability.
yup yup yup. how dare they call it the gto? i remember there's that one tv show that has both the new and old gto. my god, the old one looks a lot better. well imo. anyway, i like the retro looks on the new pony car and i see some of th***s got fog lites on them already. cool deal.
Old 08-23-04, 05:09 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I loved the concept, these early production pictures are less than exciting. I'll withold my judgement until I see them in person. Those mirrors, though.....I hate them. Looks like they sourced them from the Ranger pickup, which to me is one of the ugliest mass produced items today. Just like with the GTO, I look at the car and think that it would need some serious modding to make it look right. I'll take a '67 GTO, '68 Camaro, or a '70 Chevelle SS to get my retro kicks over these new comers any day.