Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What will be the next car company to bite the dust in the U.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-04, 12:03 PM
99GS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mmarshall
Well, so far it is obvious that the majority of us think that Isuzu will be the next victim here in America, (as I also do ) with Mitsubishi possibly not long after that.

wantAnewLex, I partially agree that Mitsu quality is often second-rate...especially in the area of fit-and-finish. Many of their engines go about 70-80,000 miles and then start to have upper-block problems like head gaskets, seals, valve guides, etc... and end up using a lot of oil. The last-generation Eclipses (and the sibling Eagle Talon ) had some of the worst fit-and finish I ever saw on a modern car......especialy in the paint and body hardware....but, with the turbo and AWD versions, they were popular with the caps-on-backward and tuner crowd. The present 4 and V6 Eclipse, while a more conservative and refined product, seems to be built a litle more carefully than the last ones. The Evo so far has been a disaster....the clutches and transmissions are failing at an alarming rate, even considering the hard manner most of them are driven.
I am a few days away from becoming a 2 Mitsubishi family, and I can honestly say that I have had no major problems with Mitsu. My 98 Montero Sport is close to 90K miles, is 6 years old, and the only problem I have had with it was a bad A/C compressor at 70K miles. It still runs great (knock on wood), and the gas mileage is still good for a mid-size SUV.

Whe my wife an I realized that we had outgrown the GS, (our 2nd son was born in June, and rear seat leg room became a major issue) we decided to shop for a 2nd SUV. We looked at and drove the Highlander, the Pilot, the Axiom, and the new Mitsu Endeavor. The ride quality, styling, fit & finish, safety features, and amazing reviews had us leaning towards the Endeavor, even though I really liked the Pilot. What sealed the deal for us, was the new warranty that Mitsu offers (3/45K scheduled maintenance, 5/60K bumper to bumper, and 10/100K powertrain). We bought the 2004.5 Endeavor AWD Limited, with the optional skid / traction control.

While we wait for our new Endeavor to arrive (being shipped in from MD), we are driving a 2004 Galant. I like the styling, and the 3.8L V6 is quite responsive.

I don't compare the quality to Lexus, but side by side with the Honda, Toyota, and Isuzu, the Mitsu was definitely the better vehicle.

I think Mitsu is trying hard to win some market share in all segments, and I think that the product line is pretty good. The full size Montero and the Diamante are both due for a refresh, which is coming late next year per the Mitsu Regional Sales Manager I spoke with. The deal that I got on the Endeavor was pretty impressive, and with aggressive advertising, 0% financing (still going on), and a great warranty, I think they will survive.

great thread by the way

Last edited by 99GS300; 08-26-04 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-26-04, 01:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks....I felt that this subject would generate some discussion.
Glad you have had good luck with your Montero. Just don't try and throw it too hard around a corner or make a sudden swerve (trust me).
Not all Mitsu products will fall apart or show early engine failure.....but as a whole, they clearly do not have the stellar reliability records of some other Japanese nameplates....especially Honda and Toyota.
The styling of some of their newer products like the Outlander and Endeavor has clearly turned a lot of people off, and the AWD Outlander was underpowered with the original 140 HP four, which also turned some people off.
Old 08-26-04, 01:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry, chief....I mistakenly said your Montero instead of Montero Sport. The Sport is not as high or as tipsy as the regular Montero, but still is no sports car around corners...so my advice still holds.
Old 08-26-04, 01:35 PM
99GS300
Pole Position

Sorry, chief....I mistakenly said your Montero instead of Montero Sport. The Sport is not as high or as tipsy as the regular Montero, but still is no sports car around corners...so my advice still holds.
Believe me, I corner very, very carefully in my Montero Sport

Thanks for the advice and concern!
Old 08-26-04, 01:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 99GS300
Believe me, I corner very, very carefully in my Montero Sport

Thanks for the advice and concern!
If more people had your attitude a lot of lives could be saved every year. A close friend of mine lost the best man at his wedding becasuse he was driving an Aztek , unbelted....it flipped, he went out the open driver's window, and it rolled over on top of him and killed him. As far as I know, that was the first recorded fatality in an Aztek.....although some of the people who first LOOKED at it in the auto shows almost died of laughing.
Old 08-26-04, 02:08 PM
99GS300
Pole Position

If more people had your attitude a lot of lives could be saved every year. A close friend of mine lost the best man at his wedding becasuse he was driving an Aztek , unbelted....it flipped, he went out the open driver's window, and it rolled over on top of him and killed him. As far as I know, that was the first recorded fatality in an Aztek.....although some of the people who first LOOKED at it in the auto shows almost died of laughing.
When transporting loved ones, you can never be too careful. Most of my time behind the wheel there is at least one small child securely buckled in the back seat, who looks to me to keep him safe, so I can think of no better reason to drive safely.

I'm sorry to hear about your friends loss.
Old 08-26-04, 02:42 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally posted by Attila
I think what he meant was that the 3000GT VR4 was an awesome car, and as he stood next to it, he thought to himself, "How did Mitsubishi go from making beauties like this to the 'crap' they make nowadays?!"

I got nothing against Mitsubishi myself (except for the corruption up in HQ)... and as I stated earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if Mitsubishi was next in line to go, but I think Isuzu (or possibly Mercury) is going down the tubes next...
Thanks for saving me some time typing that explanation.
Old 08-26-04, 02:48 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

I don't see why people hate on Mitsubishi. My grandpa has a 94' Galant ES and it hasn't given him any problems. He does have 50k on it though. The fit and finish is better than that of the two nissan sentras my family has.
Old 08-27-04, 09:45 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Did you ask him if he likes to take his eyes off the road to try and figure out the I-Drive WHILE doing those triple-digit speeds that he likes so much? If his answer was yes, he's probably totalled quite a few BMW's by now.
hahhhahahahahahaa...
Old 08-27-04, 12:24 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by THE_CEO
Your probably not gonna believe me but i met that guy at a CEO function that was held in a very large BMW dealership here in michigan...he talked me and one of my partners head off for about 1.5 hours..talking about how he loves to drive fast, and how a bmw should me maximized through every gear..you should always hear the car screaming..and how most people dont know how to drive the ultimate driving machine...he went on for an hour..so i just told him give me your card and ill talk some more over the phone...yeah right!

CEO
Come on, look at the guy, he's a raving lunatic...
Old 08-27-04, 07:44 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

my father leased a 1990 Mitsubishi, 5 year lease, returned with over 200k but it was a great car that was highly maintained by the dealer, the current day galants are not the same, quality is much lower, fathers words, never burned oil and oil was not really changed every 3k