Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Alternative power sources

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-04, 12:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Question Alternative power sources

What are your favorite sources other than straight traditional gasoline for automotive power in the future, and why? What advantages / disadvantages do you see for them?

1. Gas-electric hybrids
2. Gasoline-alcohol mix
3. Straight alcohol.
4. Propane
5. Natural Gas
6. Straight electric power with long-life batteries
7. Fuel cells
8. Hydrogen
9. Solar power / batteries
10. Advanced low-sulfur diesel fuel
11. Other / none of the above
Old 08-25-04, 04:23 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread idea.

I really love the idea of Hydrogen. We have a nearly endless supply here on earth - so I think that it's a good direction for the auto industry as the world becomes more populous and more prosperous.

My biggest concern now with hydrogen powered vehicles is its volatility in liquid form.

However, I've read that there are several people developing methods of saturating some sort of solid material with hydrogen as a safe and efficient method of storing the element until it is consumed. This is great because the liquid/gas is voluminous and takes up a lot of space whereas compounded with the solid - storage (think RANGE) can be relatively compact and manageable.

I think once we get the storage issue worked out - powertrains will develop around the fuel and become, quickly I imagine, just as powerful and efficient as today's gasoline powered vehicles (especially if paired with an electric drive system).

My 2 cents.

M.

Last edited by whipimpin; 08-25-04 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-25-04, 04:39 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

11. Nuclear fusion power!!

OK...so if that doesn't work, I'll take pure electric power.
It's offers:
- ultra high performance
- zero emission
- low cost
- easy recharge since power outlets are readily available in every household

Range is somewhat limited right now at around 150 miles and more gas stations offering AC service are needed but I'm sure both will be improved over time.

BTW, some of the other alternatives are great in theory too but they're much more expensive to produce on a per-mile basis.
Less cost-effective = higher barrier for wider adoption.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-25-04 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-25-04, 08:39 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by XeroK00L
11. Nuclear fusion power!!
that'll be blast to drive anycar with nuclear fusion power

gas electric hybrid seems to have a lot of potentials in coming years.
Old 08-26-04, 11:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
Question Sunflower oil

Sunflower oil may be portable hydrogen source

26 Aug 04 14:48

Super-clean hydrogen fuel cells may not emit any carbon dioxide like modern internal combustion engines, but the hydrogen used in fuel cells is currently manufactured by burning dirty fossil fuels. Experts have been searching for a way to cut down on these related pollutants for years, and now a scientist at the University of Leeds believes that an everyday cooking ingredient could provide a portable solution to refuelling a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle. Valerie Dupont told a conference in Philadelphia that her team has developed a generator which converts sunflower oil into hydrogen via a nickel and carbon catalyst. The leftover oil could still be used to cook with, while the fuel cell's only by-product is water. A solar-powered generator could be used to split water's hydrogen from its oxygen counterpart, says Dupont, but that technology hasn't yet been developed. Although the sunflower oil generator is just a small project at the moment, Dupont insists that larger-scale versions for use at petrol stations could be viable. (The Guardian)

source HERE
Old 08-27-04, 12:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by XeroK00L
11. Nuclear fusion power!!:

I thought of nuclear power when I drew up the list but did not put it down because I felt that nuclear reactors are far too large and impractical at present for automotive use. It would be like using the engines from a Navy Supercarrier to power a small houseboat.
Old 08-27-04, 12:50 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mmarshall
I thought of nuclear power when I drew up the list but did not put it down because I felt that nuclear reactors are far too large and impractical at present for automotive use. It would be like using the engines from a Navy Supercarrier to power a small houseboat.
Not only would it be impractical - but powering personal vehicles with nuclear material would yield a considerable security/safety issue; regulation would be a nightmare (read: impossible).

M.