Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Last year's 25 most stolen cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-04, 12:14 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How effective is the engine-immobilizer (assuming the thief has no key and the car cannot be towed)? I'm asking this question because I'm considering whether I should get an aftermarket alarm to make my car harder to steal.
Old 08-31-04, 08:38 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by LB Lex
How effective is the engine-immobilizer (assuming the thief has no key and the car cannot be towed)? I'm asking this question because I'm considering whether I should get an aftermarket alarm to make my car harder to steal.
Unless there is a way to bypass the EI (Engine Immobilizer) to trick the engine computer into thinking there is a recognized key, the car is not going anywhere under its own power. The alarm would just give you intrusion alert and shock sensors, the engine will have already been disabled. That's why the remote start from Luxury Motor Works requires you to give up one of your keys.
Old 08-31-04, 08:43 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally posted by ntran18
Unless there is a way to bypass the EI (Engine Immobilizer) to trick the engine computer into thinking there is a recognized key, the car is not going anywhere under its own power. The alarm would just give you intrusion alert and shock sensors, the engine will have already been disabled. That's why the remote start from Luxury Motor Works requires you to give up one of your keys.
interesting....

CEO
Old 08-31-04, 01:03 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless there is a way to bypass the EI (Engine Immobilizer) to trick the engine computer into thinking there is a recognized key, the car is not going anywhere under its own power. The alarm would just give you intrusion alert and shock sensors, the engine will have already been disabled.
That's good to know, now I feel a little more secure

Last edited by LB Lex; 08-31-04 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-31-04, 04:34 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to help. All 98+ Lexus are equipped.
Old 09-01-04, 03:20 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

That's why the remote start from Luxury Motor Works requires you to give up one of your keys .
Well that's the bad thing about having a remote start. Basically, this key can START your car and drive off if you know where the driver hid the key. Won't mentioned it here but those who have remote start better not advertise it too much b/c this won't be good for you. This is why I no longer have the remote start. I think there are other bypass module where they don't require your key, but not sure.

Either way, if the bypass module is in there, then you can also hotwire the car.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 09-01-04 at 03:22 PM.