Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Reaches Out to " Rejuveniles "

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-04, 06:04 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Toyota Reaches Out to " Rejuveniles "

Toyota reaches out to 'rejuveniles' on eight city ride-and-drive tour

JASON STEIN | Automotive News
Posted Date: 8/27/04

Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. is tailoring its new ride-and-drive tour to a particular class of consumers: "rejuveniles."

Today, Aug. 23, Toyota will announce an eight-city test drive event called "Put it in Play." The tour begins Saturday, Aug. 28, in San Francisco.

Toyota is targeting 18-to-34-year-old buyers it calls rejuveniles for their desire to rediscover their inner adolescent. The tour links the test drives to playground games. The automaker is generating awareness of the event through so-called viral methods: the Internet, word of mouth and e-mail messages.

In each tour city, Toyota will transform a million square feet of outdoor space into an adult playground. The tour will offer variations on such childhood games as dodge ball, tag, capture the flag, and red light/green light.

The twist? Participants will compete for prizes while driving a Toyota Matrix, Corolla or Celica in motorized versions of the games.

Game fascination

Steve Jett, Toyota's national car advertising manager, says the automaker wants to capitalize on the fascination young buyers have with traditional games while getting potential customers into its vehicles.

"We have to make sure we are talking to the audience in the right environment," Jett says. "Because these customers are tough to reach, you have to try unique approaches."

The automaker's research shows that 80 percent of consumers who consider a Toyota buy one after they have driven the vehicle, Jett adds.

"Just getting them in the product in a fun way is key," he says.

Ground Zero, a Los Angeles advertising agency, conceived the "Put it in Play" event. Jim Smith, the agency's chairman, says Toyota hopes about 3,000 people will take part at each tour location.

Smith says Toyota wanted an "off-the-wall idea" that would distinguish the tour from an ever-increasing number of ride-and-drive events.

"The object is to have (participants) bump up against some vehicles and to reach out and say: 'You might not be thinking about this vehicle. But maybe you will think of it more in the future'," Smith adds.

Traditional ads

Toyota will market the event with traditional print and broadcast advertising. The ads will appear in alternative weekly newspapers and on classic rock, alternative rock, Spanish-language and urban radio stations.

In addition, Toyota will advertise the tour online and in grass-roots media such as sidewalk chalk art, wall projections and store handouts. "Street teams" will visit high-traffic areas in each market the week before the tour stop.

After San Francisco (Aug. 28 - 29), Put It In Play will head for Chicago (Sept. 11-12), New York (Sept. 18-19), Philadelphia (Sept. 25-26), Washington D.C. (Oct. 2-3), Miami (Oct. 9-10), Dallas (Oct. 16-17) and Los Angeles (Oct. 23-24).

Admission is free to the public and consumers can register to play at www.putitinplay.com.

Source HERE
Old 08-27-04, 07:14 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Toyota Reaches Out to " Rejuveniles "

Originally posted by SexySC
The automaker is generating awareness of the event through so-called viral methods: the Internet, word of mouth and e-mail messages.
Oh oh viral effect. They sure have me intoxicated...darn.

I've always fascinated about doing some crazy manuveurs when I had my Celica. Playing dodgeball sounds like a perfect idea for this fine handling machine.

I'll definitely bring a couple of friends to join the fun this weekend. Stay tuned for my review and thanks to SexySC for spreading the words.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-27-04 at 07:15 PM.