Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting article on the future of Distronic

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-04, 06:54 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Interesting article on the future of Distronic

Interesting article on the future of Distronic:

Excerpt of the article:

With an Eye for the Essentials
Assistance systems like Distronic have already found a place in DaimlerChrysler production vehicles. Now, DaimlerChrysler researchers are working on expanding the system features. A look at what’s going on in the lab reveals that environment recognition systems are becoming more and more comprehensive, detailed and precise. As a result, it will be possible to not only increase safety but also improve comfort.

Mastering stop-and-go traffic situations calmly and safely; warning drivers of an upcoming traffic jam well before the long chain of brake lights becomes visible; reliably recognizing sharp curves and traffic signs warning of danger, even at night time or in fog; calculating whether the slow car ahead is about to move into your lane to pass another car… This list of potentially dangerous — or at least stressful — driving situations is growing apace with the increasing traffic density. And researchers at DaimlerChrysler’s Active Safety and Driver Assistance Systems Laboratory are only too well aware of this fact. The lab’s director, Hans-Georg Metzler, has a supply of such critical situations available as video clips on his laptop.

One of these films depicts a drive in an inner-city neighborhood on a rainy fall evening. The reflections from the water on the streets and the headlights of oncoming vehicles substantially hinder the driver’s ability to see the road. That’s why he doesn’t recognize until it’s too late that the car in front has braked abruptly. A stop sign, the reason for the braking maneuver, doesn’t appear out of the shadows and into view until the end of the film clip.

Another film shows a slow car cutting off a vehicle from the perspective of the latter vehicle. The slow car moves without any warning from the right to the left lane on a highway, and the film leaves no doubt that only the quick braking reaction on the part of the driver in the following vehicle has prevented a serious accident here. Anyone who has ever experienced such a situation knows just how fast your adrenaline level can rise.

The rest here: http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...ercedes/1.html
Old 08-29-04, 08:06 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default future

All of this sounds great for safety. To me it will be a sad day. I enjoy driving. The decisions, the adapting, the awareness, the judgement....I enjoy it all, even when I make a mistake. It's part of the deal. I don't want the driving experience taken out of my hands by machines. Yes I like technology but I never want to see the human factor erased. Something like voice activated ignition would be cool...there's not much interaction with starting a car. But judging traffic, deciding how fast or where to turn, I want to do that.