Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car shipping companies

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-04, 12:44 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car shipping companies

Anyone know of any reputable shipping companies for automobiles. I am looking at purchasing a car in Pensacola...about 10 hours from me and the only quote I was able to get so far was 700...for the same state that seems a little high. Also it said it would take 14 days for delivery, does that sound right??? Also if anyone lives in that area and wants to check the car out for me, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 08-29-04, 02:54 PM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

Some reputable companies are Horseless Carriage, and Dependable Auto Shippers.

I definately would do some research and seek a reputable company because shipping can be a funny business.

A few years ago, my in-laws were moving approx 1000 miles away. My father in law was looking for the cheapest guy and found him. Remember...you get what you pay for.

A week turned into 4 weeks. Numerous phone calls led to nothing and also not being able to locate the car. Seems that some of the smaller companies sub contract the job out, and your car might be handled by multiple people. Finally, when his car arrived, the windows must have been opened a good amount of the time because the interior was trashed.......actually trashed doesnt even begin to describe it. Also, the front end was scraped up very badly and needed about $2000 worth of work. The kicker?? The shipping company takes ZERO responsibility and you are stuck.

The moral is to really do some research and deal with a reputable company. If it was me, I would fly there, and drive back.

Good luck.
Old 08-29-04, 05:20 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Thumbs up Re: Car shipping companies

Originally posted by boobstar
Anyone know of any reputable shipping companies for automobiles. I am looking at purchasing a car in Pensacola...about 10 hours from me and the only quote I was able to get so far was 700...for the same state that seems a little high. Also it said it would take 14 days for delivery, does that sound right??? Also if anyone lives in that area and wants to check the car out for me, I would greatly appreciate it.
I have shipped many cars both ones that I have purchase and those that I have sold. I have used Intercity lines ,www.intercitylines.com. They have been fabulous. To see the inside of their enclosed trailers makes a car person drool. Their drivers take care of the car as if they were their own. In my estimation the best that you are going to find.
Old 08-29-04, 10:08 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Read this thread about DAS.
Old 08-30-04, 06:27 PM
undee
Driver

i don't really know about the reputable shipping companies, but i did ship my car last year from WI to AZ and AZ to WI and it only took around 7-10 days. i searched the company from google and then got some quotes from some companies(broker).