Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help on buying a daily driver car

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-04, 10:47 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help on buying a daily driver car

I'm considering 3 cars

99-02 Camry Solara 4 cyl.
03 Corolla S
05 Scion Tc

I really like the style on all of these cars, but looking at them on the road, the majority driving them are females (no offense to anyone, but I just want a car that doesn't have that "girl's car" label on them). I have yet to see a male (I'm in Sacramento area) here drive a new body style Corolla S, and 8/10 Solara (you could sort of tell by the name) drivers that I see are female.

Are these "female type" cars or no? Is it just where I live? Or any suggestions? A Camry is too plain and simple. I prefer to stick to Toyota because I'm looking for 4 cylinders, which eliminates Lexus. I won't buy outside of Lexus/Toyota anymore.
Old 08-30-04, 11:42 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scion tC!!!!!
Old 08-30-04, 11:53 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Scion tc looks better than the other 2 & is quicker(0-60 in 7.5). The Corolla is better on gas and has the added utility.

Last edited by JAC JZS; 08-31-04 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-30-04, 11:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

umm, i have an '88 camry with 3s-fe 4cyl motor and ~250K miles if u want it, ac needs freon and everything else works, interior is in good condition.

OR

you could take the Tc
Old 08-31-04, 03:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: Help on buying a daily driver car

Originally posted by GStateOM
I'm considering 3 cars

03 Corolla S
05 Scion Tc

I the majority driving them are females (no offense to anyone, but I just want a car that doesn't have that "girl's car" label on them). I have yet to see a male (I'm in Sacramento area) here drive a new body style Corolla S, and 8/10 Solara (you could sort of tell by the name) drivers that I see are female.

Are these "female type" cars or no?
Forget about stereotypes.....that is nonsense. Buy and drive the car YOU need (or want) the most and what will serve YOUR needs best. If other people don't like it or make fun of you for it, tell them to shove it.
Now...having said that, my recommendation would be to go with the new tC....for several reasons. First, buying one is simple...Scion uses Saturn's no-haggle system where there are no markups, discounts, or incentives...it is simply list price plus tax, license, and accessories....but you may beagain on your trade-in or financing, if appplicable. Second, unlike the others, you will be getting a brand-new car, without the possibility of buying somebody else's problems, even though Toyota-Lexus products are usually pretty reliable. Third, you can customize a new Scion any number of ways with a wide line dealer-installed accessories...including a TRD supercharger if you want it. Unless you need a car that will carry several people, of the 3 you mentioned, the tC, I think, is your obvious choice...."girlie" car or not.
Old 08-31-04, 08:47 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Help on buying a daily driver car

Originally posted by mmarshall
Forget about stereotypes.....that is nonsense.
It's your money.

I vote for the Corolla-S. It's a work car, why spend more than you have to and cheaper to maintain.
Old 08-31-04, 11:12 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Third, you can customize a new Scion any number of ways with a wide line dealer-installed accessories...including a TRD supercharger if you want it.
mmarshall, do you know the accelleration stats for the supercharged tc? Whats the hp/ torque increase?

Last edited by JAC JZS; 08-31-04 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-31-04, 01:07 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

GS, We don't have the Scion brand in Canada but the tC looks sharp & the price is right.....& the Corolla is fantastic for reliability. I agree with MM as well, don't worry about stereotypes (there was a thread in the ES forums on this site or the LOC that said the ES was a females car....who cares!?). They use the Corolla (older ones mind you) as taxi's in Afganistan for god sakes & I don't even know if they have a dealers network there! I doubt it The point is why would they use them?? Because they are very well built & very reliable (Built about an hour from me in Cambridge Ontario!) so I would definately add it to your short list as well. Drive them both see how you feel. Check out the vast customization items you can get from TRD like spoilers, cold air intake, strut tower bar, rims and the like so you can personalize it to your own style! I think either way you win because your sticking with a Toyota product which I think is smart! Perhaps even consider the Matrix! That's a smart ride too! I see a lot of guy's driving them around here. Let us know what you decide & good luck!
Old 08-31-04, 02:17 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TC

i want of of these myself

4runner lease is up soon

and would like to get one of these supercharged of course
Old 08-31-04, 02:19 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Forget about stereotypes.....that is nonsense. Buy and drive the car YOU need (or want) the most and what will serve YOUR needs best. If other people don't like it or make fun of you for it, tell them to shove it.
very ture
Old 08-31-04, 02:21 PM
LexFather

Default Re: Help on buying a daily driver car

Originally posted by GStateOM
I'm considering 3 cars

03 Corolla S
05 Scion Tc

I really like the style on all of these cars, but looking at them on the road, the majority driving them are females (no offense to anyone, but I just want a car that doesn't have that "girl's car" label on them). I have yet to see a male (I'm in Sacramento area) here drive a new body style Corolla S, and 8/10 Solara (you could sort of tell by the name) drivers that I see are female.

Are these "female type" cars or no? Is it just where I live? Or any suggestions? A Camry is too plain and simple. I prefer to stick to Toyota because I'm looking for 4 cylinders, which eliminates Lexus. I won't buy outside of Lexus/Toyota anymore.
Tc gets my vote.

Old 08-31-04, 02:25 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

tC is a very nice car for the money, i mean very nice for 17000 something. but the only thing is you have to wait for like 3 months to get it in my area.
Old 08-31-04, 04:57 PM
MDlexus
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

I heard that there will soon be available a turbo version that will deliver 200 horses.
Old 08-31-04, 07:35 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by MDlexus
I heard that there will soon be available a turbo version that will deliver 200 horses.
1) Its available

2) Its not a turbo Its a supercharger
Old 08-31-04, 07:43 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 0l33l
1) Its available

2) Its a supercharger
So youre saying the Supercharger for the Scion tc makes 200 total hp(40 hp gain)? I guess TRD needs to update their site cause it seems like they have Superchargers available for every engine size except the tc 2.4l.

Last edited by JAC JZS; 08-31-04 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Help on buying a daily driver car