Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need quick advice on buying a car that has been wrecked

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-04, 08:37 PM
Dougg62
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need quick advice on buying a car that has been wrecked

I've been shopping for a new ES330 with all the options, hoping to get an 04 at a really good price. The closest I've found is $34K, with MSRP over $38K. There is a car a dealer has that was in a wreck and sold back to them with only 1400 miles. They are asking $28,900 for the car, or about $10k less than a new one. They have been very honest about the damage and even gave me the number to the body shop, who faxed me the repair order. The damage was about $7k, and it needed a new bumper, quarter panel, rocker panel, trunk, and lights. The overall parts were $3000 and the labor was close to $4000. The body shop has offered me, if I buy from the dealer, the same lifetime guarantee on the work and paint (which is good provided I don't move in the next 5 years). They also told me there was minimal shifting of the rear unibody, but not enough to replace, they straightened out and the car aligned perfectly on a 4 wheel alignment.

I looked briefly at the car and drove it a few days ago, and I'm going back for an extensivelook and drive tomorrow. On one hand, $7k sounds like a lot of damage, on the other hand, a practically new 330 for $10K less than new sounds tempting.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. I am being pushed a bit by the dealer. They just detailed the car today, and if I pass tomorrow it goes on the lot for sale (has not been as of yet, they just got back in on trade after the wreck). So, I have to make a relatively quick decision or chance someone else buying it.
Old 09-02-04, 08:51 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

IMO I'd stay away from cars that have a repair or "salvage" title since they will never drive or look the same as from before, despite how attractive the price of the car

Moving this to Car Chat.
Old 09-02-04, 09:16 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by lexusk8
IMO I'd stay away from cars that have a repair or "salvage" title since they will never drive or look the same as from before, despite how attractive the price of the car

Moving this to Car Chat.
i couldnt agree more it will NEVER be the same
Old 09-02-04, 10:32 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wouldn't get it at all. i would rather get slightly used 02 ES300 rather than that one. IMHO.
Old 09-02-04, 11:28 PM
Ku@
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default don't buy it

salvage car always has problems unless if u are buying it from the person u know
there could be probles such as windnoise (bent frame) or not perfectly aligned doors, which causes noises, and also resale value,
not worth it to buy
Old 09-03-04, 01:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i would just stay away as well regardless of the price
Old 09-03-04, 06:01 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be patient

save

the 2005 should be coming out soon

might get a good deal on a 2004

have you tried

www.carsdirect.com
Old 09-03-04, 09:14 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

cars with damaged titles are a little tougher/more expensive to insure. i'd save your money and get something better. Yeah, the price is nice, but personally, i would never feel secure driving in a car that's been mangled up.
Old 09-03-04, 09:48 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

not worth it! even if you save the money, you will have a hard time selling it later on so you don't really win....
Old 09-03-04, 11:40 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

stay clear of it.......looks like more headaches for you in the future & for only $10k off the price of a new one, they would have to do MUCH better than that. Plus, down the road it might be a huge hassle to sell it when it comes time to trade it in at a dealer or selling privately & much lower re-sale value!

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 09-03-04 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-03-04, 12:08 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

give them 25K and take it, provided it has a clean title. if its salvage, give them 20K, that is if you plan on keeping the car.

dont let these guys scare you, i deal with salvage cars, and if they are repaired right, there are huge savings to the customer!
Old 09-03-04, 12:13 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by aliga
give them 25K and take it, provided it has a clean title. if its salvage, give them 20K, that is if you plan on keeping the car.

dont let these guys scare you, i deal with salvage cars, and if they are repaired right, there are huge savings to the customer!
I agree with this.
Old 09-03-04, 12:56 PM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

is 7000 grand even enough to salvage a title on a new car.i would not think so but i would offer them less what they are asking for it if it somthing you would want
Old 09-03-04, 01:19 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by VSsc400
I agree with this.

You guys have more time to deal with time wasting issues then I do. The whole point of buying a Lexus for me is it's reliability and near zero hassle.

Why buy something that is questionable for well over 20 thousand dollars? That's me anyways....
Old 09-03-04, 04:20 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

now wait a minute here.....does it or does it not have a salvage title? thats the big question....if it does not it might be worth it..since it was done at a reputable dealer!! Yes, 7 gs is a lot in damage..but you'll be surprised on the amount of vehicles that are out there that have had at least, LEAST ,3500 worth of damage and you dont even know!!!
get the vin# lets see what pops up!! It probably has not been reported yet but ask what they are gonna report

Quick Reply: Need quick advice on buying a car that has been wrecked