Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another Infiniti bites the dust. Bye I-35.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-04, 10:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally posted by G35_TX
. . . But then we can all call the IS300 a failure too, since its sales have dropped drastically.
it's due for a redesign, but they are going to have a new IS reportedly with sedan, coupe & hardtop convertible versions, & clearly a more serious effort to tackle the entry level lux sports sedan segment than the half a$$ effort by Lexus in the previous IS.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 09-05-04 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-05-04, 10:47 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

It's no suprise that they are discontinuing the I35......that was stated about two and a half years ago anyways! Because of the other products Infiniti had coming to market, the I35 was reduntant.
Old 09-05-04, 10:49 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SexySC
it's due for a redesign, but they are going to have a new IS reportedly with sedan, coupe & hardtop convertible versions, & clearly a more serious effort to tackle the entry level lux sports sedan segment than the half a$$ effort by Lexus in the previous IS.
I hope so, I always liked the IS300, but it kinda became the rice boy luxury car in a way. Lexus dropped the bomb on the engine. It should have had alot more power from the start, but oh well.
Old 09-05-04, 01:32 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope so, I always liked the IS300, but it kinda became the rice boy luxury car in a way. Lexus dropped the bomb on the engine. It should have had alot more power from the start, but oh well.
It's coming in two years...
Good debate guys.
Old 09-05-04, 02:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Well then if you think that way...

G series = G20, G35
QX series = QX56, QX4
I Series = discontinued
FX series = FX35/45 new line, can't compare
M series = M30, M35/M45 still going
Q series = Q45

So the only line I see actually discontined is the I series.
Big difference. I think the G20, QX4 and M30 were discontinued a good while before their successors came out.

So then that makes this arguement mute.
That's MOOT.

But then we can all call the IS300 a failure too, since its sales have dropped drastically.
Um no, it wasn't discontinued.
Old 09-05-04, 02:02 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Good debate guys.

Very good facts,

-Anthony
Old 09-05-04, 02:49 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Big difference. I think the G20, QX4 and M30 were discontinued a good while before their successors came out.

That's MOOT.

Um no, it wasn't discontinued.
Umm sorry but none of the series above except the I series was discontinued. That would be saying the ES300 was discontinued for the ES330 because it was a failure. LOL
Old 09-05-04, 03:15 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Umm sorry but none of the series above except the I series was discontinued. That would be saying the ES300 was discontinued for the ES330 because it was a failure. LOL
Do you intentionally want to make yourself look ignorant?

I am stupified by the number of people who throw that out there.

There has always been a Lexus with an "ES" designation, since Day One.

You, and others, need to understand that models and, more importantly, GENERATIONS are not defined by engines, but by chassis and body style. Engines have little to do with it.

Bit is right. There were periods of time where the Infiniti M- and G- models did not exist. They were discontinued or not sold in the US because they were dismal cars/failures.

And now, even more Infiniti models have been added to the "discontinued" list. Believe what you want, facts speak for themselves and support the rational arguments of those who choose to see them for what they are.

Last edited by SecPole14; 09-05-04 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-05-04, 04:00 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Ignorant? Seems to me I am just stating facts and the obvious. Why are you being blinded?

But you can't say the G20 was discontinued because of poor sales, because the G35 took it over.

Like I said, its like saying the ES300 was discontinued because of poor sales, and the es330 came out.

Like I will say it again until you can actually PROVE those cars were failures, shut up.
But per your info, we can name a lot of LExus models that were discontinued as well...

A few...

RX300
ES300
GS300/400

Because they changed the # and design.

FYI, these are facts unlike your opinions.

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
Do you intentionally want to make yourself look ignorant?

I am stupified by the number of people who throw that out there.

There has always been a Lexus with an "ES" designation, since Day One.

You, and others, need to understand that models and, more importantly, GENERATIONS are not defined by engines, but by chassis and body style. Engines have little to do with it.

Bit is right. There were periods of time where the Infiniti M- and G- models did not exist. They were discontinued or not sold in the US because they were dismal cars/failures.

And now, even more Infiniti models have been added to the "discontinued" list. Believe what you want, facts speak for themselves and support the rational arguments of those who choose to see them for what they are.

Last edited by KrazyLexus; 09-05-04 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-05-04, 04:35 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm quite shocked that as a G35 owner, you'd post something like that.

The G35 is built on the new Nissan FM platform & is in NO WAY a continuation of the discontinued G20. They are totally unrelated cars, unlike the RX300 & RX330, and the ES300 & the ES330, which are unquestionably a continuation with upgraded engines.

Besides, the RX300 is the best selling luxury SUV even in it's last year of production before the RX330 came out, and the ES300 is also the best selling luxury car model in the U.S.in the year just before it's replaced by the ES330, a track record of success that the G20 does not come close to compare.

As owner of both Lexus & Infiniti models, not taking sides here, just trying to get the facts straight.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 09-05-04 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-05-04, 08:14 PM
legendary
Racer

The G35 is built on the new Nissan FM platform & is in NO WAY a continuation of the discontinued G20. They are totally unrelated cars, unlike the RX300 & RX330, and the ES300 & the ES330, which are unquestionably a continuation with upgraded engines.

Besides, the RX300 is the best selling luxury SUV even in it's last year of production before the RX330 came out, and the ES300 is also the best selling luxury car model in the U.S.in the year just before it's replaced by the ES330, a track record of success that the G20 does not come close to compare.

As owner of both Lexus & Infiniti models, not taking sides here, just trying to get the facts straight.
Bingo

C'mon...there is no comparison
Old 09-05-04, 08:38 PM
Trexus

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Well said...
Old 09-05-04, 09:06 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

I'm quite shocked that as a G35 owner, you'd post something like that.

I still don't see your point since its still not backed with facts. I see no difference between the 2 manufactures.
Old 09-05-04, 09:43 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still don't see your point since its still not backed with facts. I see no difference between the 2 manufactures.
I think you've backed yourself into a corner on the issue, so now you're going to throw up your hands and call it a day.

The ONE model that Infiniti has that has span the years is the Q45 (albeit barely alive over the last 2 generations). The G20 was an old sentra based car with FWD a 4cylinder, and proportions similar to the Corolla. The new car is about the size of an Altima or Camry, RWD, and offers almost double the power of the old car. The only one thing that has stayed the same is the letter "G". Even then, letters don't signify an ongoing model name, a car that sticks true to it's roots and the heritage it established is the one that carrys on the name to the next generation. The ES has always been a FWD V6 sedan, and it always will be. Do notice that many people refer to these cars as simply IS, GS, LS, LX...ect because yes the numbers change from generation to generation, but the same basic formula and philosophy stands behind those same two letters, year after year, despite the three proceeding numbers.

I mentioned the Q45 because it has stayed true to the same forumla since day one: Big, RWD, V8 powered luxury sedan. That's what it has always been, and what it always WILL be. The only things that Infiniti's current lineup - G35, M45, Q45, QX56 (FX), shares with it's older models are again, letters. The M45 has changed so much from the original M30 that even you know they aren't remotely the same car. Same with the G, and trying to make a case for the QX4 and QX56 is just ridiculous.

I think this argument is over

-Michael-
Old 09-05-04, 09:51 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were to refer the the G35 as a successor to an older Infiniti model, my comparison would be to the RWD, 6-cyl J30, not the FWD, 4-cyl G20. Like the G35 sedan, which shares an engine/platform with the 350Z, the old J30 shared it's engine/platform with the 300ZX of the day, I believe.

I figured the I35's days were numbered when the new Maxima came out, and the I35 remained based on the old Maxima. It seemed Nissan moved the Maxima towards a more luxury emphasis (with the larger size and the package with the split back seat with the big center console), competing against cars like the Avalon.

Quick Reply: Another Infiniti bites the dust. Bye I-35.