Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A BMW M5 competitor

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-04, 03:28 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A BMW M5 competitor

Have any of you read the articles on the 2005 M5? Do you guys think that Lexus will come out with a ride that will rival the M5 one day?

General Information
Price: $--,---
Miles Per Gallon: --/-- mpg
Curb Weight: ---- lbs
Layout: Front-Engine/RWD
Transmission: 7-Speed SMG
Engine
Type: V10
Displacement: 5000 cc
Horsepower: 507 bhp @ 7750 rpm
Torque: 383 lb-ft @ 6100 rpm
Redline: 8250 rpm
Performance
0-60 mph: -.- sec
0-100 mph: --.- sec
Quarter Mile: --.- sec @ --- mph
Skidpad: .--g
Top Speed: --- mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: --- ft
Slalom Speed: --.- mph

Source: BMW

2004 marked the 20th anniversary since the launch of the first BMW M5. After three generations, more the 35,000 sales and countless attempts by competitors to emulate its performance and success, the BMW M5 still makes its position as the benchmark. Each successive generation has extended the bounds of both performance and luxury. The last generation M5, the most successful ever, significantly pushed the performance envelope with the first V8 from BMW M, mated to a six-speed transmission.

The all-new fourth generation M5 pushes that envelope even further with the first V10 engine to power a production sedan. The new V10 produces 507 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque by European measure. This new engine is mated to a seven-speed SMG transmission. With this new powertrain the M5 offers the best power-to-weight ratio in its class. In the tradition of BMW M, the chassis has been engineered to keep up with the power while the exterior treatment is subtle, yet distinctive.

First high-revving engine to be featured in a production sedan

This is the first application of a V10 engine in a regular production sedan, if it's possible to call any product from BMW M "regular." It once again sets the benchmark in its class. This engine was engineered to rev, with a redline of 8,250. With 25 percent more power than the previous M5's V8, this new engine offers 100 horsepower per liter of displacement, pure race car territory. The 90o V10 is designed for maximum stiffness and minimum vibration.

The new V10 features double-VANOS variable valve timing. Each cylinder has its own electronically controlled throttle butterfly. The new MS S65 engine management system uses the most powerful processors currently approved for use in automobiles. It has been designed specifically to deal with the V10's high output and high revs as well as the comprehensive controls that are required.

Seven-speed SMG gearbox features Drivelogic

The driver of the new M5 is able to maximize the potential of the new V10 engine with a seven-speed SMG gearbox. Like other BMW SMG gearboxes shifts can be made from either the lever on the center console or the paddles on the steering wheel. Compared to the previous SMG, gear changes happen 20 percent faster with this latest generation SMG, making for smooth, crisp shifts.

With Drivelogic, at the driver's disposal are eleven program options. This enables the SMG's shift characteristics to be tailored to suit the driving situation and the mood. Six of these programs can be selected in the sequential manual gearbox mode (S mode). These programs adjust shifting speed and style because, in the S mode, the driver does all the shifting. In the Drive (D mode) the transmission shifts automatically, depending on which of the five programs is selected, the driving situation, the road speed and the position of the accelerator pedal.

Taken together the drivetrain of the new M5 provides truly awe inspiring performance. From rest 60 miles per hour will be reached in well under five seconds. The rush of acceleration never lets up until the electronically limited top speed of 155 miles per hour. The top speed may be limited but with the speedometer reaching all the way to 205 mph, the mind conjures intriguing possibilities.

The perfect blend of ride comfort and agility

The M5 has long been known for handling that matches its performance, carefully blended with impressive ride comfort. More than just a "tuned" 5 Series suspension, the aluminum suspension on the M5 has been engineered to match its performance. The suspension is mated to 19-inch wheels with performance tires. Keeping power on the road is critical, so the M5 features the Variable M differential lock. By constantly monitoring and comparing the speed of the rear wheels, the Variable M differential lock can ensure that power gets to the drive wheel with the most traction even in extreme driving situations. Its benefits are particularly apparent when accelerating out of a corner.

The Dynamic Stability Control system in the M5 has been designed to suit its performance. Of course, the DSC can be deactivated at the push of a button. The M5's DSC also offers the choice of two driving dynamics programs. One allows DSC to function the way it always has. At the touch of a button, the M Dynamic Mode is engaged which lets DSC facilitate more spirited driving.

To ensure that this level of handling does not compromise ride quality, the new M5 features Electronic Damping Control, with three program modes (comfort, normal, sport). EDC constantly adjusts the suspension to suit the driving conditions.

To complement its performance potential, the M5 is equipped with generously sized high performance brakes with perforated compound brake discs. The aluminum twin-piston brake calipers have been designed for minimum unsprung weight and maximum stiffness. They will haul the new M5 to a stop from 62 mph (100 km/h) in under 120 feet and from 124 mph (200 km/h) in just under 460 feet.

Styling is subtle but purposeful

In the tradition of BMW M, the exterior styling of the new M5 follows the "wolf in sheep's clothing" philosophy. The casual observer may not, at first glance, recognize the M5's performance potential. The less casual observer instantly will. The modified front spoiler and rear apron are instant giveaways. So too are the modified side sills. The wheel arches are more prominent in order to house the generous wheel and tire package. Following BMW M's recent traditions, the new M5 has more aerodynamic exterior mirrors, four tailpipes and exclusive wheels. Similar to the latest M3, the M5 features exclusive gills incorporated into the front fenders.

The exclusive leather interior features sports seats. Other styling touches, from the instrument cluster to the center console and the steering wheel are all unique to the M5. Even the optional head-up display is M-specific.

The all-new BMW M5 once again combines the comfort and amenities one expects of a luxury sedan with the performance capability and driving experience that can be provided by few cars of any type.

http://www.engine-power.com/bmw/concept_m5.html
Old 09-06-04, 04:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts
Default Re: A BMW M5 competitor

Originally posted by ktiger
Have any of you read the articles on the 2005 M5? Do you guys think that Lexus will come out with a ride that will rival the M5 one day?
Yes. No.
Old 09-06-04, 05:29 PM
legendary
Racer

<------------------move to car chat

I like the new 645.....that M6 should be even hotter
Old 09-07-04, 02:15 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think Lexus will go that way.
It's all about luxery for Lexus not all out power.

Would be a nice idea though IMO.
Old 09-07-04, 03:43 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the first application of a V10 engine in a regular production sedan
Actually the 2004 Phaeton TDI is the first V10-powered production sedan.

Just nitpicking...I'm sure the M5 will have very few if any competitors in sight for years to come.
Too bad the RS6 isn't gonna get that V10 anytime soon.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 09-07-04 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-07-04, 09:10 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

i love lexus but i think lexus still has to go a long way before it can catch up BMW's engineering. but i would love to see M5 competitor from lexus. it would be very interesting.
Old 09-08-04, 01:52 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Originally posted by DC52E55
it would be very interesting.
and fuel efficent, and reliable, and priced lower then the competior offering more options as well... why hasn't lexus been doing for the past 14 years?!

Listen toyota! you are the 2nd biggest car company in the world! start splurging on a few tight unnessicarly fast cars! ... and while your at it get Giugiaro to do it, they know what they're doing!
Old 09-08-04, 05:45 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

I don't believe that it's engineering because Toyota has been running Indy and F1 cars for some time now. With Lexus coming out with a more aggressive style one would think that they would make an effort to have a supercharged engine based on their F1 car technology available in the IS and GS cars.

It seem to me that Infiniti has declared an all out assult on BMW while Lexus is going after the Mercedes crowd. Infiniti has drastically improved their styling which can be seen in the G35, FX and the future M35 & 45. Rumor has it that they are going to come out with a M5 competitor in a couple of years called the M55. I've also read in several magazines that they are finally going to address the cheap interior materials starting with next year models.

I just feel that if Infiniti ever get their act together on the Q45 (that's one BIG ugly car, it look like a big bubble) they could really put some heat on Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes.

I know that some of you are screaming, INFINITI!!!, but remember it wasn't that long ago when the BMW/Mercedes crowd were laughing at Lexus. By the way they're not laughing anymore.

Just think about it for a minute. Infiniti's sales are up 35% for the year and all they really have to offer at the present time is the G35's and the FX's.

I honestly believe that in a few years nobody will be laughing at Infiniti either, even us Lexus loyalist.
Old 09-08-04, 08:30 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Re: Re: A BMW M5 competitor

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Yes. No.
I think the future hybrid GS350GT or perhaps GS500GT will be a formidable performance car. Of course it remains to be seen, but I think Lexus will do this right and we will not be dissappointed.

Last edited by Hameed; 09-08-04 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-08-04, 11:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Do you guys think that Lexus will come out with a ride that will rival the M5 one day?

Depends on what you mean by "rival". Granted, the previous M5 was one of the best sports sedans ever built...it was really superb in many areas. The new Chris Bangle M5, IMHO, is an overpriced, overcomplex, tinnily-built, ugly, POS. But the Lexus GS430 beats the pants off both the old M5 and the new one, quality-wise, the new one MUCH more-so, though of course it doesn't have the M5's power or ultimate G's. But even the best BMW's can't touch Lexus quality or fit-and-finish.
if it was MY money, I wouldn't even look at the new M5. The old M5 is a lot more of a temptation, but of course you can't get them brand-new any more. The GS430 would probably get my bucks, presuming I could afford one (it is still an expensive car)....but the next-generation GS with the AWD is going to be very interesting.
Old 09-08-04, 11:54 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: A BMW M5 competitor

Originally posted by mmarshall
Depends on what you mean by "rival". Granted, the previous M5 was one of the best sports sedans ever built...it was really superb in many areas. The new Chris Bangle M5, IMHO, is an overpriced, overcomplex, tinnily-built, ugly, POS.
I totally agree with the over priced, over complex and somewhat agree on the tinnily built but ugly I must disagree with. While it is true that all BMW's and Benz's IMHO are overpriced the stance on this particular Bimmer is awesome. Over the past 5 years both have had their reliability problems, most dealing with the overtaxing complex new technology (i.e. I-drive). Yet the M5 and E55 stand on the top of the mountain when it comes to performance. No mods required! The M5 begs to be driven hard.

This is the type of car that I WISH Lexus would make one day. I would buy it in a minute without giving the M5 or the E55 a second thought. With Lexus' luxury/quility inside and out this would be the "Ultimate Driving Machine".

Yet it's hard for me to believe that you even put the GS430 in the same class as the M5. How do you justify such a thing?