Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Diamante LS vs my old ES300

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-04, 06:42 PM
LexusDaisy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Diamante LS vs my old ES300

I recently drove around Southern California for 6 days in a 2004 Mitsubiti Diamante LS. This is the top line version with all the whistles and bells, and 15,000 miles.

My wife and I drove it over many miles of LA freeways, in nice Orange County cities, and up and down the Pcaific Coast Highway. We both agree that the car is capable, but really nothing to write home about. I thought someone here might be interested. Here’s how it compares with our 96 ES (114,000 miles).

Big plus for the Diamante: no wind noise like my ES. Also, I like heater/AC controls better….. these are the only plus.

The Shifter: easily the nastiest part of the car is that BIG chrome shifter gate reflecting the warm California sun directly into my eyes. This thing should not be allowed into the USA. I am certain it will cause accidents because it can get you so unexpectedly, and is bright enough to draw all your focus (like I needed that on the 110 freeway!)

Steering: I love the light feel of my ES steering. The Diamante was heavy, like some sort of friction device was installed to make it harder to turn. Actually had less “road” feel than the ES.

Seats: looked nice and had all kinds of adjustments including 2 position memory, but the seat itself was too short for me, and no adjustment could make it as comfortable as my old Lex.

The Shifter: there is a shifter slide with a “+” and a “-“ position to play automatic stick shift with. This is about the silliest thing I saw in a long time. WHAT possible good is this thing? There is no performance advantage. I’ve owned high powered 4 speeds (Corvette and GTO) and high powered automatics (383 Plymouth and Buick GS 400) and ran them all into the ground, yet I see no advantage to this creation.

Styling: sort of “frumpy”, no clear theme… like a mix of a 97 Monte Carlo and an angular new Caddy. Not ugly, but no prize winner. Looks like the work of at least 2 designers slapped together with no consideration of how they look on the same car.

Fit and Finish: not bad, but wood trim looked cheap like it came from Pep Boys, and I could see cardboard inside the trunk.

Engine: The ES has more power and much better throttle response. The Mitsu had some lag at times, but nothing like that described for the ES330. My Lex engine sounds pretty cool when you nail it, but the Diamante sounds kinda like it is in pain… rather unpleasant, growning.

Ride: the Lexus (with 8 year old shocks) clearly smoother, doesn’t transmit small bumps and ripples like the Diamante.

Handling: the ES leans over in turns a little more, but is completely predictable, while the Diamante had a bad habit of transferring body roll from side to side rather abruptly. Even at moderate speeds on the Coast Highway making transitions in S turns was alarming, not confidence inspiring , and probably dangerous. While maybe my ES is not a true canyon racer, it would be great fun to drive aggressively up the Pacific Coast Highway.
Old 09-08-04, 07:41 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Pretty interesting to compare a brand-new Mitsubishi sedan with a 8-yr old entry-level luxury sedan. Although I've never driven a Mitsubishi before, you've pointed out a few key advantages the ES300 has over the Diamante, which are critical in gearing any car consumer's decisions out there.

Moving this thread to Car Chat.