Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2005 300C SRT 425hp!!! Revealed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-04, 12:53 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2005 300C SRT 425hp!!! Revealed...

AWESOME!!!

Introducing Chrysler's newest addition to the Street and Racing Technology Series. With 85 more horses under the hood and SRT performance styling throughout, the SRT8 will change what you think about the evolution of the classic sedan.

Impressive 425-horsepower 6.1-liter HEMI® V8 engine

Unique calibration for five-speed automatic transmission with AutoStick®

Performance suspension, brakes, and Chrysler's Electronic Stability Program (ESP) for superior handling

20-inch wheels with 245/45ZR20 front and 255/45ZR20 rear tires

Superior SRT styling, including a lower and even bolder stance, rear spoiler, sport front seats, leather-trimmed accents, power everything, and much more
Old 09-09-04, 01:00 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Nice. How much $$$?
Old 09-09-04, 01:19 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

Not announced... thus far.

I anticipate @ $38 - 44k Which would be GREAT "bang-4-the-buck!"
Old 09-09-04, 01:25 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Not bad, not bad at all.
Old 09-09-04, 02:00 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
Not announced... thus far.

I anticipate @ $38 - 44k Which would be GREAT "bang-4-the-buck!"
Again, nice car, but I would never pay that much, maybe $37-38K, but no more.

Very classy and elegant, the wheels are great, this reminds me of what I think of when I think of classic, beautiful American cars, when America still made the best in the world.

Huge props to them, I'll be even more impressed and give them even more respect if a coupe and/or wagon ever sees the light of day.

Good stuff all the way around.

EDIT: Actually, I wouldn't mind paying about $40K for this car. It does have a 'look' about it. Does anyone know who styled the car? Was it an American? I'm to lazy to research.

Last edited by SecPole14; 09-09-04 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-09-04, 02:08 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

I think it's a bargain. And it's great to have such a presence in the American Sports Sedan market. I just hope they don't have the cylinder deactivation feature for SRT model.
Old 09-09-04, 02:16 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Arrow

Originally posted by sweetsc400
I think it's a bargain. And it's great to have such a presence in the American Sports Sedan market. I just hope they don't have the cylinder deactivation feature for SRT model.
I don't think they will have cylinder deactivation. Fuel economy is supposedly 14/19.
Old 09-09-04, 02:55 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

this is a beautiful car the only thing i cant stand is the interior, dont see myself spending this much cash on a car and the interior is all plastic and cheap, when i sat in the back seat of one of these vehicles, i felt like i was sitting on a boat seat, not worth 40k.
Old 09-09-04, 03:04 PM
mr who
Lead Lap

The new issue of MT estimated $49,000 for the SRT-8
Old 09-09-04, 03:42 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

Originally posted by mr who
The new issue of MT estimated $49,000 for the SRT-8
I'm sure they "over-shot" the price. I can not imagine D/C stickering this car @ $50k which could put you in a new E-Class.

Old 09-09-04, 04:04 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

As I've said before....... American Car Builders are REALLY "stepping it up!"

Squeezing roughly 70 hp from every liter of displacement makes the SRT Hemi the highest specific-output naturally aspirated V8 ever offered by the Chrysler Group. Sure, 70 hp per liter is about what Toyota gets out of a 3.0-liter V6 in the Camry, but we’re talking about pushrod two-valve Detroit iron here, so Dan Knott, director of SRT, is right to brag on his achievement. The handful of engineers working in his shop, hidden away in an industrial park on the other side of the freeway from the Chrysler Technology Center and HQ in Auburn Hills, Michigan, includes a lot of hard-core black-cuticle enthusiasts who tune their own performance cars in their off-hours, of which they’ve had very few lately.

"I’ve got engineers who road-race and slalom and set land-speed records," Knott points out as we walk around the shop, focused on an SRT-8 in progress. "They know how to make an engine work."

Start with the basics: Bore it out by three millimeters to up displacement from 5.7 to 6.1 liters (6.059 actually), bump the compression ratio to 10.3:1 from the standard 9.6:1, install a high-performance camshaft. It goes deeper than driveway hot-rodding, though, and not only because Chrysler can make the electronics work in concert even while keeping it legal in the eyes of the feds. SRT improves the breathing with larger-diameter, hollow-stem valves and reshaped cylinder ports, fed by a new intake manifold (a thing of beauty under the hood that initially distracted us from the orange block) and steel-tube exhaust headers a quarter-inch larger in diameter than the exhaust manifold in the base Hemi. The SRT-8’s block is reinforced and boasts increased coolant flow, the crankshaft is forged steel, the connecting rods are stronger powdered-metal forgings, the pistons run on floating pins and are cooled by oil squirters, the exhaust valves are sodium-filled, and the oil pan is modified for reduced foaming. With the stronger parts, the SRT version of the Hemi spins nearly 15 percent faster than the base model, putting redline at a respectable 6200 rpm (the electronic cutoff is at 6400) vs. the regular edition’s 5400 rpm.

Torque rises to 420 lb-ft, so preservation of the five-speed A580 transmission requires a little more aggressive electronic "torque management" in the way the engine and trans relate to one another. Keeping in mind the 300’s base architecture is inherited from the parent company in Germany, Knott also had to draw on corporate knowledge by finding AMG’s supplier of rear differentials and ordered up a part akin to that used on the mighty Mercedes-Benz E500 to couple to his beefed-up halfshafts.

It should all be good for quarter-mile times in the high 13s and 0-to-60-mph runs in the low-five-second range. Officially. Knott suspects most magazine testers will better those figures—he wants to underpromise by just a little, rather than suffer the embarrassment of under-delivering.

It’s not just about power. The 300C SRT-8 is 0.5 inch lower than the 300C thanks to new front and rear suspension knuckles. The chassis is stiffened with tuned shocks, spring rates and bushings, and larger antiroll bars front and rear.

"With the SRT-6, we had to start asking ourselves, ‘What is the Chrysler ride signature?’" Knott explains. "It’s softer than I would do if I was making a Dodge, a little more touring-oriented, but stiffer than the stock Hemi C."

The electronic stability program has been recalibrated, too, to let the driver manage the handling with the throttle more, and when you turn the stability program off the "residual" traction control is also less aggressive, allowing somewhat more slip than in the regular 300C, a car that already allows a bit more slip than is usual in the industry.

Packed into the wheel wells are 20-inch forged aluminum wheels wearing Goodyear Eagle F1 three-season performance tires (four-season tires are optional) with asymmetric tread. The rubber is 245/45 in front, 255/45 in back. The wheels have room inside for larger brakes. All four wheels boast four-piston Brembo calipers grabbing onto ventilated discs, and Knott predicts this 4160-pounder will stop from 60 mph in 120 feet or less, maybe even 110. That’s exotic sports-car performance in a five-seat family sedan—clearly, the German autobahn influence on Detroit has its benefits.

Two exterior colors are available: Bright Silver and Brilliant Black.

Old 09-09-04, 04:25 PM
LexFather

That is a wonderful car! I love it. Why buy a Lincoln or Caddy? This is the one.

Old 09-09-04, 04:36 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Thumbs up

This car looks GREAT and to have 425hp in this price range is incredible.............very nice job by Chrysler.

BTW this car has tremendous prescence on the road.........Im thinking black on black with a lil drop and it will look
Old 09-09-04, 06:10 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Absolutely SICK!!!

I'm suprised that some have said they think over $40K is too much. $45K would make this car the best bargain in the auto industry. 425HP , 20 wheels . Somebody try to name another sedan or any other car for that matter who offers this, along with this kind of styling presence for under $45K. You won't find one. You pay this much for a POS Town Car! Why? In Detroit, Chrysler rules.

Old 09-09-04, 06:55 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

I love it!! Lots of power w/ great looks. The only thing I question is reliability.

Quick Reply: 2005 300C SRT 425hp!!! Revealed...