Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VIP explained

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-04, 04:14 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VIP explained

http://velocity.isfaster.com/vip/vip.htm

if this belongs in car chat sorry

sorry if its a repost but its new to me

hahah just realized who this belonged to

RETRODRIVE

nice website

Last edited by T.L.W.; 09-13-04 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-13-04, 04:17 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

moving to car chat...
Old 09-13-04, 04:34 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very interesting article.
Old 09-13-04, 05:38 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

nice link TLW!!!
we aught to post pics of all qualified vip cars
Old 09-13-04, 08:03 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually it is not mine...just a good article I reffer to...thanks though

I'd never post that you should drool over pictures like this one:

Old 09-13-04, 09:02 PM
Profez Ric
Driver School Candidate

is it me.. or do those cars belong on laughatrice.com or something... they are ugly..

I thought VIP was highly modified, eye catching cars..
Old 09-13-04, 09:15 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Retro, thanks for saying you didn't write the article. It was very poorly written with numerous grammatical and spelling errors. Not to mention low quality pictures and really bad examples. There are much better examples out for VIP tuning such as JunctionGS, Jtanoyo, and...well you. I guess it's good for beginners, but at least a parallel of JDM names vs USDM names would be nice.

James
Old 09-13-04, 09:30 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Profez Ric
is it me.. or do those cars belong on laughatrice.com or something... they are ugly..

I thought VIP was highly modified, eye catching cars..
That article has been reposted over and over, which is still ok considering a lot of us are still kind of vague with what being a VIP is all about. The pictures over on that article represent probably what the old-school, first generation VIPs are like. Big black cars, with quadruple slanted mega exhaust tips, crazy ferrari-esque widebody styling and insane snowplough front bumpers. I think the Japanese crowd has moved away from that look for a while, tending more towards the minimalist, understated luxury that I believe firmly deserve the connotation of being a "VIP" much better than those batmobiles on the article.

Robert (a real CL member that actually lives in Japan and heads a VIP crew) has put it very bluntly before that the first and USUALLY the only criteria of being a VIP is actually owning a car that's considered VIP (Celsior, Aristo, Cima, etc) and they have to be a big, 4-door, sedan. Black is usually the preferred choice, but I am beginning to see many more colors joining into the foray (white and silver being the other favorites).

There are some kids out there who graft a Fabulous kit onto their Scions and then walk around calling themselves a VIP. No. It doesn't work like that. You can own a BONE STOCK LS430 and you will still be a VIP. You can own the most modified with the most insane lips on the most widebody scion on the show floor and you WILL STILL NOT be a VIP.

Lastly, in my humblest opinion, a VIP is more of being a state of mind, not how much money you blow on your car. If your attitude is a VIP, your car is a VIP and your lifestyle is a VIP, then heck, YOU ARE A VIP, boy!

Old 09-13-04, 09:32 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jet864
Retro, thanks for saying you didn't write the article. It was very poorly written with numerous grammatical and spelling errors. Not to mention low quality pictures and really bad examples. There are much better examples out for VIP tuning such as JunctionGS, Jtanoyo, and...well you. I guess it's good for beginners, but at least a parallel of JDM names vs USDM names would be nice.

James
Aw shucks, did you just put me and JunctionGS all in the same breath of sentence? I am nowhere near his standard but man, I am honored.
Old 09-14-04, 12:53 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by jet864

James
Wow....someone that actually knows about VIP....and recognizes the VIPs here on CL. I thought this day would never come.

Much props to JuctionGS and jtanoyo1... for showing CL the true meaning of VIP.

Last edited by PHML; 09-14-04 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-14-04, 04:58 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Still confused about something, does VIP consist of only Japanese bodykits, wheels etc? In other words, all the mods has to be japanese?
Old 09-14-04, 09:58 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

VIP is the vehicle, not the mods. It can be stock car and it is still classified as VIP.
Old 09-14-04, 10:03 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by D-MAN63
Still confused about something, does VIP consist of only Japanese bodykits, wheels etc? In other words, all the mods has to be japanese?
Nope. A stock German Mercedes Benz S-class or a bone stock BMW 5-series is already VIP. It meets all the basic criteria: 4-door luxury sedan, wide and long base chassis and exclusive. Especially important, it doesn't need to be JDM or Japanese. A lot of the VIP owners in Japan put on Brabus wheels or graft carlsson kits onto their VIP rides.

Did I confuse you even more?

But like I always tell people. Don't worry about it, do as how YOU think your car should look, don't follow the masses just because of peer pressure to do so. You may end up doing up a car that looks like nothing of what you had in mind.
Old 09-14-04, 10:08 AM
JunctionGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
That article has been reposted over and over, which is still ok considering a lot of us are still kind of vague with what being a VIP is all about. The pictures over on that article represent probably what the old-school, first generation VIPs are like. Big black cars, with quadruple slanted mega exhaust tips, crazy ferrari-esque widebody styling and insane snowplough front bumpers. I think the Japanese crowd has moved away from that look for a while, tending more towards the minimalist, understated luxury that I believe firmly deserve the connotation of being a "VIP" much better than those batmobiles on the article.

Robert (a real CL member that actually lives in Japan and heads a VIP crew) has put it very bluntly before that the first and USUALLY the only criteria of being a VIP is actually owning a car that's considered VIP (Celsior, Aristo, Cima, etc) and they have to be a big, 4-door, sedan. Black is usually the preferred choice, but I am beginning to see many more colors joining into the foray (white and silver being the other favorites).

There are some kids out there who graft a Fabulous kit onto their Scions and then walk around calling themselves a VIP. No. It doesn't work like that. You can own a BONE STOCK LS430 and you will still be a VIP. You can own the most modified with the most insane lips on the most widebody scion on the show floor and you WILL STILL NOT be a VIP.

Lastly, in my humblest opinion, a VIP is more of being a state of mind, not how much money you blow on your car. If your attitude is a VIP, your car is a VIP and your lifestyle is a VIP, then heck, YOU ARE A VIP, boy!

COULDN'T OF SAID IT ANY BETTER!!!!

and JON, your car is on a level much higher than mine. I should be the one honored when mentioned under the same breath...
Old 09-14-04, 11:32 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by jtanoyo1

Said it all right there.

About more than 3/4 of the cars on CL are already VIP, if they know the true meaning of it.

BTW jtanoyo1, have u gotten ur air suspension yet?

Last edited by LOTC; 09-14-04 at 11:34 AM.

Quick Reply: VIP explained