Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New car for a tall person

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-04, 12:29 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not very tall, so head room isn't much of an issue for me. . . but I know of one car where headroom wouldn't be an issue, although the styling isn't exactly for everyone, hahahaha, and that's putting it mildly. The Scion xB!!!!! That thing has tons of head room, not to mention more rear legroom than a Ford Explorer! Hahaha, but it's not exactly my taste either. . . I own an xA obviously, although I'm kinda wishing that I own a tC. Big jump from a Lexus, but I'm young enough where I need to start saving now so I can spend later (don't wanna be having a tight financial situation in my 30's and 40's). I'm making a ton of money off of what I'm saving on gas/insurance/maintainence etc. . . but it IS a Scion, so I'm not sure if you will consider it. Might wanna give the tC a try for $20k tho, comes at $16k with almost every option standard("panoramic sunroof," mp3 CD player, power everything, on and on). Stock vs stock, the tC down performance numbers that are almost identical to the IS 300. Not to mention it will only cost $3k more for the available (and non-warrantee-voiding) supercharger from Scion/TRD. Hey, and it's still a coupe and seats 5, yes f-i-v-e comfortably. I tested this car and headroom wasn't an issue for me, but you'll have to try it out to see for sure. BTW the "panoramic roof" doesn't really eat into headroom since it lifts up and out.
Old 09-17-04, 02:34 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

hey how about a 4 runner?
Old 09-17-04, 05:01 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Honestly, cars almost always are more comfortable (leg room wise) than SUV's. I am 6'4" and the car with the MOST leg room for me was my 1st Gen GS. The seat-bottom on that car shuttles all the way back. Almost far enough for my legs to be totally extended. The MB S500 is also great for legroom, same for BMW 745. Most SUV's I notice, place you in a more upright position, so your legs are more sitting style, than stretched out. I remember the X5 having great legroom.

It also depends on your weight. I'm slim so I can get comfortable, with just leg and headroom. Some may need more elbow room.

FYI, I was going to get a SC and I felt the room in those was fine (just Sport Coupe intimate, rather than sedan airy)
Old 09-17-04, 08:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, Jim, let's see.......you're 6' 3", got more or less 20K to spend, want something with plenty of headroom that is reasonably fun, practical, and reliable.?.......

........a new Subaru Forester X
........a used or demo Forester XT Turbo, (if you can find one)
....... a used WRX, (check the transmission and clutch for wear)
........a new Corolla XRS
........a new Nissan Sentra SE-R SpecV
Old 09-17-04, 09:33 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If the SC really doesn't work for you, and your budget is $20K, I see a Scion xB in your future.

... unless you get something used.

As far as the SC not being safe, that's just B.S.
Old 09-17-04, 10:01 AM
usmanj
Lead Lap

Last edited by usmanj; 09-09-14 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-17-04, 10:35 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mmarshall
Well, Jim, let's see.......you're 6' 3", got more or less 20K to spend, want something with plenty of headroom that is reasonably fun, practical, and reliable.?.......

........a new Subaru Forester X
........a used or demo Forester XT Turbo, (if you can find one)
....... a used WRX, (check the transmission and clutch for wear)
........a new Corolla XRS
........a new Nissan Sentra SE-R SpecV
I posted about this in another thread.

But, as a Sentra owner, I'd like to note here that I would avoid the current Sentras.

The 2.5 liter is a dog.

The build quality (the cars are assymbled in Mexico) is merely acceptable.

And they are too expensive.

While those are good suggestions, mmarshall, I think the only reason he's looking to switch cars is b/c his mother percieves the SC coupe to be too small. A Sentra, Corolla or WRX isn't going to solve the problem.

M.
Old 09-17-04, 11:03 AM
usmanj
Lead Lap

Last edited by usmanj; 09-09-14 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-17-04, 08:03 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow You can't beat the Front interior space of a GS

jet, go with a '98+ GS400. It has more front legroom & more front headroom than a 2004 S500 and more front legroom than the 745Li(2004, Li only adds rear legroom). It even has more front legroom than a brand spanking new LS430(GS=44.5in. vs. LS430 44.0in.) The headroom on the GS is 39.2 vs. 37.6 in the S500 and beats the 745Li front legroom 44.5 to 41.9(745Li), thats over 2.5 inches which is a lot. The 745Li & GS are equal on front headroom @ 39.2 inches. Front legroom on the S500 is even less at 41.3 vs. the 44.5 inches of the GS.

The design of the '98+ GS is truly amazing!! It gives you Flagship beating interior front space in a midsize sport sedan!!!!

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
MKIV seats drop you down about 1" or 1.5"

may be cheaper than a new car
Its funny you mention Supra seats because actually the entire front interior space of the Supra is very roomy. Again, Toyota/ Lexus really know how to design cars. The front legroom on the Supra(44 inches) is better than the '04 S500/ 745Li and is equal to the LS430. The Supra front headroom(37.5) is also about the same as an '04 S500!!!! This coming from a car that came out in 1993!!! These roomy qualities are one of the factors that led me to choose to purchase these fine vehicles(GS3/ 400, Supra). While I dont need as much space as jet (I'm 6') I still Love as roomy an interior as I can get while keeping all the other things I like(i.e. handling, nice exterior, etc...).

Last edited by JAC JZS; 09-17-04 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-17-04, 08:51 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Get an SC without a sunroof. Mine has way more space than one with it.
Old 09-18-04, 07:32 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

I'm biased, but my Forester has a ton of headroom without the drawbacks of a SUV.
Old 09-19-04, 05:01 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
As far as the SC not being safe, that's just B.S.
I second that. Think about it, seriously... I'm not sure, are you looking at an SUV? They're fine for suburbia, but they're the most prone to rollover (centre of gravity). You're 6'3" and you haven't reached the ceiling yet? Damn... I'm 5'9" (hehe... tall for a Filipino, shawty for anything else ) and my hair brushes the headlining... and I just got a hair cut hahah

In all seriousness but, I'd be looking at a GS300/400/430, very spacious inside, or even a gen 1 LS400.
Old 09-19-04, 05:53 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

It seems like headroom is your only issue here, so I'm going to toss in anoter vote for new seats.

Won't have to deal with the hassles of selling / buying a car either

Score: ClubLexus - 1, James's Mother - 0

Last edited by Davtown; 09-19-04 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-19-04, 06:40 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jet864
Yesterday my uncle rolled his X5 and he was fine thank God. My mom broke down and told me she really did not want me driving something so small.
James
Originally posted by Attila
It seems like headroom is your only issue here, so I'm going to toss in anoter vote for new seats.

Won't have to deal with the hassles of selling / buying a car either

Score: ClubLexus - 1, James's Mother - 0
Headroom is not the only issue. His mom doesnt want him driving such a small car. Thats why he cant just change the seats.
Old 09-19-04, 07:03 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by JAC JZS
Headroom is not the only issue. His mom doesnt want him driving such a small car. Thats why he cant just change the seats.
Sorry, but the SC isn't small. Now a MR2 is, so is a Del Sol, but an SC, no way!

Quick Reply: New car for a tall person