Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New car for a tall person

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-04, 05:34 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car for a tall person

Well at 18, I will just not stop growing. I've passed 6'3" and still going. My head is near the ceiling on my SC, and my mom is starting to freak out about me being injured in an accident. Yesterday my uncle rolled his X5 and he was fine thank God. My mom broke down and told me she really did not want me driving something so small. I've considered certain SUVs, trucks, everything and I would like to get some more opinions from you guys who love to talk about cars. I can always suggest cars for others, but it's always hard to choose for yourself.

After selling the SC, and saving up some, our budget will be about $20,000 so any suggestions would be very welcome. I'm perfectly happy with my car now, but what the boss says, goes. I hate to keep making these threads about me and cars, but my uncle's accident really shook her up and she wants something very safe, and larger for me. Thanks for whatever you guys can help me with.

James
Old 09-16-04, 05:57 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

You know, the reason the X5 rolled over is probably because it IS so large and so tall. . . ironically I think the SC would be a much safer car. No offense, but I don't think your Mom is qualified in knowing what is safe and not. Maybe that's why there are so many "soccer mom's" in SUV's. There is perceived safety and actual safety, understand?

The SC is lighter, faster, wider, and lower. That means you can stop faster, turn faster, are able to avoid accidents better, and in the realm of cars and stability is one that is VERY unlikely to rollover unless you do something VERY stupid.

Secondly, SUV's are not always safer. There was a national insurance test back in 98 I think that tested a Chevy Suburban in a 45mph offset crash. Guess what? The weakest part of a car is the cabin. Think about it. You have a large two or three box design. The biggest box, with the least amount of internal structure is going to be the weakest structure. In your engine bay, you have your engine and mounts and struts that help keep the area strong and rigid. Inside the car it is essentially hollow, like a shoebox. Well what happened in this test (at ONLY 45mph) is that the engine bay withstood the impact, but the occupant compartment did not. The cabin collapsed and the engine bay went right into the driver's leg. . . nice to know that you'll probably never walk again after that 45mph offset crash. . .

Now in the SC, you would have been able to slam your brakes and stop, before ever hitting the obstacle, not to mention, you have a better designed cabin, and probably more structurally secure. Yes, there is much less cushion on impact. . . but the largest determinant of survivability is whether or not the cabin collapses or not, and how well your "cushion (crumple)" zones absorb the impact forces.

The only thing I see that makes an SUV safer is the protection from collisions from other SUV's. Since many SUV bumper's ride higher than normal cars, they can often override or miss your designed impact point on your car. But keep in mind that increased height can also lead to rollovers or becoming airbourne (by hitting another car or rail). Secondly SUV's are good for off-roading. They do not significantly help with traction in wet conditions (hydroplaning is not helped by 4wheel drive. . . it is caused by the wedge of water under your tires at high speed). In snowy conditions, 4wd helps you get traction when accelerating, but if you don't have snow tires (any car can have snow tires) be prepared to slide all over the road. If you've been in snowy conditions you will notice how many SUV's get stuck in the snow, especially in Lake Tahoe!

Bottom line, I would keep the SC. I REALLY hate the SUV mentality that it is safer (if you can't tell already). Odds are its increased size and instability will result in you having a collision, when you would have been fine in a regular automobile. if you MUST sell your SC, I would look into getting a used 4 Runner, used Highlander, or possibly a used RX300, if you can find one in that price range. . . but unless you live in a snowy area or somewhere that gets flooded often, where traction is a problem, I can't really see the justification in trading on the basis of safety, unless you really just don't fit in the car.
Old 09-16-04, 06:08 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the quick reply. I think there was some misinformation in my initial post. I'm not requiring an SUV at all, it was just her suggestion, and I agree with you and know all the safety concerns you were speaking of. I am trying to consider anything that's larger/has more headroom than an SUV. I know that the width, height, and weight of the SC will keep me safe well, but honestly, my head is rubbing the ceiling, and if there is some freak accident, I don't know how safe I would be. I forgot about 4Runners, those are great cars, and I was considering GSs etc, but all are pretty expensive or have higher miles.

Sorry about the misunderstanding, but yes I'm open to anything that has more room inside than an SC. Reliability wouldn't hurt either.

James
Old 09-16-04, 06:18 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MKIV seats drop you down about 1" or 1.5"

may be cheaper than a new car
Old 09-16-04, 06:19 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Invest in a roll cage and a helmet. Problem solved
Old 09-16-04, 06:22 PM
LexFather

Default Re: New car for a tall person

Originally posted by jet864
Well at 18, I will just not stop growing. I've passed 6'3" and still going. My head is near the ceiling on my SC, and my mom is starting to freak out about me being injured in an accident. Yesterday my uncle rolled his X5 and he was fine thank God. My mom broke down and told me she really did not want me driving something so small. I've considered certain SUVs, trucks, everything and I would like to get some more opinions from you guys who love to talk about cars. I can always suggest cars for others, but it's always hard to choose for yourself.

After selling the SC, and saving up some, our budget will be about $20,000 so any suggestions would be very welcome. I'm perfectly happy with my car now, but what the boss says, goes. I hate to keep making these threads about me and cars, but my uncle's accident really shook her up and she wants something very safe, and larger for me. Thanks for whatever you guys can help me with.

James
I am 6"5 and when I had my SC, it was fine. I thought the seating position gave me the most legroom along with the LS 430.
The GS 4o0 was fine and did have more headroom than the SC and a good seating position. Believe it or not the IS fit me fine too.
I noticed FWD cars of any kind are a pain to me. Very limited legroom. Headroom varies. Stay away from FWD if your tall.

As for the SC being small, it's longer than the GS. It's a long car.
20k, used GS 300. It is tall so it will give your mom the impression it's a really big car.

Old 09-16-04, 07:44 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

You want a GX
Old 09-16-04, 09:34 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by O. L. T.
You want a GX
gx is not 20K get an used LX you could probably find one for 20K
Old 09-16-04, 10:02 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

I'm a 6'5'' and my SUNROOF-LESS SC400 fits me just fine. My sunroof-equipped SC400 was on the snug side. Just a thought. . .
Old 09-16-04, 10:11 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

That is a good point about the sunroof. If I do get another car however, I don't think it'll be an SC again. I know I could probably fit better if I leaned back, and got my gangsta-lean on, but that's not how I drive. I honestly just don't feel like I have any control unless I'm closer. Even my 5'7" ex liked the seat further back. Oh well, I'll think of something.

James
Old 09-16-04, 10:17 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I'd consider an aftermarket seat with a lower profile. Spending $2K on seats is a nicer propostion compared to the expense of a car...my presumption is that you really like your SC and want to keep it.
Old 09-16-04, 11:23 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RA40
I'd consider an aftermarket seat with a lower profile. Spending $2K on seats is a nicer propostion compared to the expense of a car...my presumption is that you really like your SC and want to keep it.
Your presumption is right. I just dumped quite a bit of money into it, and have future plans. I like the seat idea...but I just have to find some decent seats.

James
Old 09-16-04, 11:29 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

here you go, get International's CXT. it stands 9 feet tall.

but it will cost about 100G though.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/09/13/pf/a...ruck/index.htm

http://www.internationaldelivers.com...severe/cxt.asp
Attached Thumbnails New car for a tall person-cxt.jpg  
Old 09-16-04, 11:40 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Thanks Darden, I can just load the SC up in the bed, and when I get to nicer terrain, unload it and have some fun! I'm sure the folks will give me 100g for a gas guzzling behemoth.

James
Old 09-16-04, 11:44 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jet864
Thanks Darden, I can just load the SC up in the bed, and when I get to nicer terrain, unload it and have some fun! I'm sure the folks will give me 100g for a gas guzzling behemoth.

James
no problem man. you know i am always very helpful.

Quick Reply: New car for a tall person