Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Comptech AfterMarket Springs for Acuras Beware!!(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-04, 07:49 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rominl
i won't just go and blame eibach as well. yes they made the springs (might be, if i was right) for comptech, however you don't know what comptech did before shipping it to people. i remember seeing comptech sticker or whatever on the springs, so there must be still a lot to the story.

plus, there are a lot of people with eibach springs on their acura and no problem
Okidoki.
I couldn't beleive that eibach would sent springs out like that, especially since the German laws for car parts are really strickt and they must be tested by the TUV.
Old 09-20-04, 12:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Richie
Okidoki.
I couldn't beleive that eibach would sent springs out like that, especially since the German laws for car parts are really strickt and they must be tested by the TUV.
hahaa, to be honestly i can't imagine anyone would make any springs with that kind of quality!
Old 09-20-04, 11:06 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Captain Bone
Would comptech really be liable? I THOUGHT most of these companies, at least I know Tein does, expressly write for these only to be used off-road.

So if you were using it on the streets, they might not be liable.

-Anthony
I don't know about the off-road disclaimer, but maybe this doesn't apply to springs. Either way, they have this disclaimer so their hands are clean when the car is lowered below the minimum height requirement laws. Since this disclaimer applies to the legal height requirements, they do not absolve the company from defects that cause the springs to practically disintegrate when driven. So they can still be held liable for an accident cause by a defect.

Last edited by LB Lex; 09-20-04 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-27-04, 12:33 PM
LexFather

OMG, this is incredible. Members are checking left and right and finding out about this issue. I could not imagine my old Espelir shocks doing this. Or all the different sprins we buy here rusting.

Aftermarket is supposed to be superior to any OEM part

Old 09-27-04, 03:11 PM
mclaren
Rookie

The issue is being handled though. And it only seems to be one bad batch that got out. Comptech outsources the springs and everyone at the Acura boards is still trying to figure out who actually made them. Comptech is quality stuff. Most of their stuff has been fine that people have bought, and those that haven't are being dealt with. I have them on my car (CL) and they are fine. Hopefully COmptech will take care of those affected in an appropriate manner, and their reputation won't be totally destroyed. All their other products are top notch and have almost no problems and produce the most gains compared to other products (performance wise at least).
Old 09-27-04, 10:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by mclaren
The issue is being handled though. And it only seems to be one bad batch that got out. Comptech outsources the springs and everyone at the Acura boards is still trying to figure out who actually made them. Comptech is quality stuff. Most of their stuff has been fine that people have bought, and those that haven't are being dealt with. I have them on my car (CL) and they are fine. Hopefully COmptech will take care of those affected in an appropriate manner, and their reputation won't be totally destroyed. All their other products are top notch and have almost no problems and produce the most gains compared to other products (performance wise at least).
i agree. if they can handle the problem correct, namely identify the problem down to cause and also go out and contact people for the fix instead of waiting for people to come back. that will make them better instead of worse
Old 09-30-04, 03:52 AM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

the L-tuned springs are made by Eibach as well. I hope it doesn't rust out like that