Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dumb Cops

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-04, 04:33 PM
MIKE313
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Cops

WHEN U GUYS BUY IS300, ARE THERE 2 HOLES ALREADY FOR U TO PUT THE LICENSE PLATE??
WELL, I DONT.

SO, DUMB COPS ALWAYS PULL ME OVER DUE TO NO LICESEN PLANTE IN FRONT OF MY
CAR.....AND TICKET COSTS $181 FOR THE NO PLATE AND WINDOW TINT...... DO U GUYS
THINK I CAN WAVIE THE TICKET JUST TELL THEM I GOT NO HOLE TO PUT IT ON ??

ANY OF U GUYS HAVE THIS KIND OF EXPERIENCE ??
Old 09-20-04, 05:34 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

dumb cops eh?
Old 09-20-04, 05:37 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Please remove your caps.....

In California it is a law to have a front license plate. There are two tiny markers on your front bumper to drill holes so you can attatch a front plate. Just make sure you put on the bracket first otherwise you might scratch your bumper. Any dealership's service department will do it for you if you are nervous about doing it yourself. And to answer your question, no, I don't think the judge will be sympethetic if your excuse is "I got no hole to put it on.".

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 09-20-04 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-20-04, 06:48 PM
Bruinette
Driver School Candidate

Yeah it's illegal in california, but lots of people still go without it. Just use some zip ties and tie your plate on the mesh and get it signed off. Go home and cut it off and off you go. Of course you risk getting another ticket, but if you don't want a front plate like me..that's what you'll do. When i bought my car from Longo, I told the sales guy to make sure they don't drill the holes before the car even got there because they put it on as soon as it's delivered. Last week when I got my 1k service at Longo, all the guy did in one of the stalls was drill holes into the front bumper of a bunch of GX...
Old 09-20-04, 08:07 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally posted by Bruinette
Last week when I got my 1k service at Longo, all the guy did in one of the stalls was drill holes into the front bumper of a bunch of GX...
Yeah, since Oct 2003, and Elizabeth will be able to elaborate, any car that leaves Longo had to have front plates installed. I was lucky to pick mine up before that became manditory back in Sept 03. It was to cover themselves from the stupid clause. People blaming the dealership when they would get pulled over by a cop for no front plates.
Old 09-20-04, 10:00 PM
E12ic46
Driver

i replace a new bumper on my car after i got swiped by a truck awhile ago....when the new bumper came in...it had 2 holes so that you can drill....but i think you can argue the ticket if your dealership didnt put the front license plate on for you...i got a ticket for tint as well.....gotta go court oct something...wish you luck
Old 09-20-04, 10:24 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

I think the whole front plate thing is retarded. There is no point in it. It looks awful, it nessesitates the need for stupid frikkin holes in the front bumper, and furthurmore, it makes the vehicles less aerodynamic. Its pointless. Why do they do it? Is it to help catch criminals or something?
Old 09-20-04, 10:40 PM
Bruinette
Driver School Candidate

Cameras at intersections need the front plate to identify the car (and hence give you a ticket) for running a red or whatevers. Without the front plate, you can just argue it's not your car
Old 09-21-04, 12:59 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

there have been many creative idea's for front plate mounts, one involving "L" brackets mounted from under the front of the bumper trim so the screw holes are not in the bumper face. A few indepth discussions have been made if you search a little.
Old 09-21-04, 10:13 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

i dont have front number plate on mine either.
Old 09-21-04, 10:33 AM
whatuusay1
Driver

Talking Me Too....

Hehehe.... funny topic... I just got pulled over this morning on the way to school... for no front liscense plate. Lucky for me I had my front windows down (15% tint). The cop let me go on account that I purchased the car in Kansas (dont require front plates) and I live in Missouri (Do require front plates). So... all in all a good day. No tix and no court I always say the trick is how you treat the officer, just my opinion. I always turn the car off completely - remove the keys from the ignition (put them on the dash) and put both hands on the steering wheel. The officer is much more relaxed and more likely to let you off without a ticket.

Good luck to you guys I certainly dont plan on putting the plate on the front of my 99 GS400 (no holes) and i wont beoch too much if i get a ticket (just the way it is i supose) I just love the look of the car without the front plate...

~Andrew
Old 09-21-04, 12:58 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dumb Cops

Originally posted by MIKE313
WHEN U GUYS BUY IS300, ARE THERE 2 HOLES ALREADY FOR U TO PUT THE LICENSE PLATE??
WELL, I DONT.

SO, DUMB COPS ALWAYS PULL ME OVER DUE TO NO LICESEN PLANTE IN FRONT OF MY
CAR.....AND TICKET COSTS $181 FOR THE NO PLATE AND WINDOW TINT...... DO U GUYS
THINK I CAN WAVIE THE TICKET JUST TELL THEM I GOT NO HOLE TO PUT IT ON ??

ANY OF U GUYS HAVE THIS KIND OF EXPERIENCE ??
Can you just put the plate on your dash

i think in jersey some guys do that

Old 09-21-04, 01:12 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Dumb Cops

Originally posted by T.L.W.
Can you just put the plate on your dash

i think in jersey some guys do that

i think it's still illegal in cali.

the plate has to go on the front bumper.
Old 09-21-04, 01:21 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SC400-V8
I think the whole front plate thing is retarded. There is no point in it. It looks awful, it nessesitates the need for stupid frikkin holes in the front bumper, and furthurmore, it makes the vehicles less aerodynamic. Its pointless. Why do they do it? Is it to help catch criminals or something?
Hwy patrol officers usually aim for that with their Ka band guns when they see your headlights pop up from the hill you just climbed.
Old 09-21-04, 02:00 PM
MIKE313
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by whatuusay1
Hehehe.... funny topic... I just got pulled over this morning on the way to school... for no front liscense plate. Lucky for me I had my front windows down (15% tint). The cop let me go on account that I purchased the car in Kansas (dont require front plates) and I live in Missouri (Do require front plates). So... all in all a good day. No tix and no court I always say the trick is how you treat the officer, just my opinion. I always turn the car off completely - remove the keys from the ignition (put them on the dash) and put both hands on the steering wheel. The officer is much more relaxed and more likely to let you off without a ticket.

Good luck to you guys I certainly dont plan on putting the plate on the front of my 99 GS400 (no holes) and i wont beoch too much if i get a ticket (just the way it is i supose) I just love the look of the car without the front plate...

~Andrew
WELL... U GOT A NICE COP
THAT TIME I GOT PULL OVER, I ROLLED DOWN ALL MY WINDOWS,TOO
BUT HE TOLD ME TO ROLL THEM UP AND IT WAS 12 AM ALREADY, CAN NOT EVEN TELL
HOW DARK IS MY WIN TINT... I TOLD HIM MY WIN TINT IS LEGAL, THEN HE TOLD ME
GO TO THE COURT, AND THE COURT PPL WILL DECIDE.... WTF.... AHAAHA...
THEN HE EVEN TOLD ME TO STEP ON MY GAS PALLET...... MAN....

I GOT 2 TICKETS FOR NO FORNTLICENSE IN A MONTH...DAMM.... WUT A BAD LUCK...
I GOT MY FIRST NO PLANT TICKET WAS IN THE AIRPORT PARKING LOT. HE JUST PUT THE TICKET ON MY WINDSHEFL...SO U PPL WHO HAVE NO PLANT IN FRONT,.... BE CAREFUL WHEN U PARK IN AIRPORT PARKING LOT.....

Last edited by MIKE313; 09-21-04 at 02:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Dumb Cops