Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Auto Salon Paris 2004: New Porsche Boxster & Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-04, 07:33 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Guys let's keep this thread friendly and on topic about the Boxter please.
Sure thing, boss.

Mike, that's my entire problem with the Boxster: It looks like a 911. To the untrained eye (most people) they probably couldn't tell the difference. Then again, Porsche has stuck with oval/circular headlights since forever, and well, their designs aren't very inventive. Even the Cayenne looks like a Touareg ran into the back of a 911. Maybe they're just playing safe??

This, of course, makes owners of 'lesser' Porsches happy because their Boxster or V6 Cayenne looks 'just like' 911. And this is what they tell their friends. And I'm sure this pisses off the owners of 'real' Porsches in the process.

Really, Porsche certainly has something very special because the 911 has carried them for decades...No other exotic car maker has had that sort of clout based on one model. To me, '911' and 'Porsche' are interchangeable.

I guess it's the same strategy BMW had with the previous generation as far as styling is concerned: Same bratwurst, different lengths.
Old 09-24-04, 04:45 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
Sure thing, boss.

Mike, that's my entire problem with the Boxster: It looks like a 911. To the untrained eye (most people) they probably couldn't tell the difference. Then again, Porsche has stuck with oval/circular headlights since forever, and well, their designs aren't very inventive. Even the Cayenne looks like a Touareg ran into the back of a 911. Maybe they're just playing safe??

This, of course, makes owners of 'lesser' Porsches happy because their Boxster or V6 Cayenne looks 'just like' 911. And this is what they tell their friends. And I'm sure this pisses off the owners of 'real' Porsches in the process.

Really, Porsche certainly has something very special because the 911 has carried them for decades...No other exotic car maker has had that sort of clout based on one model. To me, '911' and 'Porsche' are interchangeable.
Yeah, I'm just going to drop this whole subject... we clearly have differing opinions, and neither of them are gonna change.... no use in making enemies. Besides, I got Pope Arnold Schwarzenegger on my side (the avatar..)

All I have to say is that I can't wait for the official pics of this badboy...

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
Same bratwurst, different lengths.
mmmm..... bratwurst....

btw, just to clear it up, I never criticized the Forester... I just said that there will always be something faster and cheaper (never said anything about stock form). I've said this many times before, Subaru is my 2nd favorite car company, RIGHT behind Toyota/Lexus... I respect everything they make, and the Forester Turbo is one of my favorite cars on the market right now

Last edited by Davtown; 09-24-04 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-25-04, 01:49 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

my major pet peeve is that the steering wheel doesnt tilt up. Until they fix that, then im not buying one.
Old 09-25-04, 06:30 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

am i the only one that thinks this car looks like an MR2 spyder? i honestly do agree.. i think of porsche and the only car that comes to mind is some form of the 911... i would easily take a lotus elise over this car. hmm maybe even spring for the exige.
Old 09-25-04, 08:29 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

the boxter is ok, but its not much quicker than my mr-2. A friend of mine has one and we drive around together occasionally and in terms of 0-60 its all about who gets the better launch and shift. Something that costs that much should at least be able to beat a car half its price, and yes I am talking about the base boxter not the s.
Old 09-25-04, 09:24 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

That little wants-to-be a Porsche is a complete joke and a total underperformaning waste of money. I am sick of looking over my shoulder to make sure I saw a real Porsche or wasted a glance.

There are many better cars to choose from in its price range, same can't be said about the 911's.
Old 09-25-04, 10:16 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I like IT A LOT it should be a home run for porsche BIG for prosche
Old 09-25-04, 11:50 PM
ES Boy
Lead Lap

The coupe looks pretty cool. for Porsche. Maybe I should get one since I crashed my car.
Old 09-29-04, 10:02 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Is It Downhill for Roadster Market?

The U.S. roadster market is not likely to see another peak anytime soon, forecasts Peter Schwarzenbauer, CEO of Porsche Cars North America. The segment topped out at around 75,000 units in 1999, and is now operating at a "natural" level of around 50,000, said the German executive. That's not good news for Porsche, which is getting ready to launch a new version of its once-hot Boxster - shown by TCC in its coverage of the 2004 Paris Motor Show. In '99, Boxster sales hit 13,000, but this year, volume is running "a little under 6000," confided Schwarzenbauer. Even with the new car, Porsche expects to get Boxster sales back up only to "somewhere in-between those two numbers," the CEO suggested. At the same time, Schwarzenbauer admitted that there are so many "external" factors influencing the U.S. auto market right now that after 20 years in the business, "I've never seen it so complicated," nor as difficult to predict." The German automaker expects to have an average one new car or variant to introduce every six months going forward, company officials said in Paris. That includes the all-new 911, which went on sale recently. While the Boxster has lost much of its momentum, Schwarzenbauer is more optimistic about Porsche's flagship sports car and, he believes, for good reason. The 911 primarily appeals to motorists with household incomes of at least $200,000 annually. There are currently 2.6 million U.S. households that fit that description, but the number is forecast to jump 46 percent, to 3.8 million households, by 2012. To get those potential customers thinking about the 911, PCNA plans to launch a test drive "experience" program starting next January. Porsche is betting that once someone tries a 911, they'll be far more willing to buy one. -Paul A. Eisenstein
Old 09-29-04, 10:38 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Hey everybody, gather round for some more pics of the Boxster S from the Paris Auto Show!

Here's the 997 with the 987 (boxster) behind it

Last edited by Davtown; 09-29-04 at 10:38 PM.