Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Auto Salon Paris 2004: New Porsche Boxster & Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-04, 02:34 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Salon Paris 2004: New Porsche Boxster & Boxster S

$44,595 for the Boxster and $53,895 for the S.
Link to article with $prices$

I really like the straight ahead front shot (2nd pic)... I'm liking the looks of this car a lot. Can't wait to see the official pics of the coupe version! I'm also very interested in seeing the performance stats on this car...
Old 09-23-04, 02:45 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good find
Old 09-23-04, 02:47 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Lame.

If I could drive my car properly, I could own these things all day long.

I've always hated the Boxster. Now I can lump it into the same category as the Pepper and file it under the "Should not come with a Porsche badge" category.
Old 09-23-04, 03:22 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
If I could drive my car properly, I could own these things all day long.
Could you clarify that statement a little? I'm not too sure what you mean by that

I've always hated the Boxster. Now I can lump it into the same category as the Pepper and file it under the "Should not come with a Porsche badge" category.
What's the reasoning for lumping it into the same category as the Pepper? Looks? Because there aren't any performance figures out yet (or at least I haven't seen any...) If it's because of looks, well that's all subjective, because I (and several others) think that this new Boxster is a very good looking automobile.
Old 09-23-04, 04:48 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Attila
Could you clarify that statement a little? I'm not too sure what you mean by that

What's the reasoning for lumping it into the same category as the Pepper? Looks? Because there aren't any performance figures out yet (or at least I haven't seen any...) If it's because of looks, well that's all subjective, because I (and several others) think that this new Boxster is a very good looking automobile.
I'm not that great at driving a stick-shift quickly yet. It's been proven by those who can that the Forester turbo will own the Boxster.

I'm not just talking about looks, because it does look the part. However, when I think of Porsche, I think of expensive, exclusive, world-beating sports cars. The Pepper is none of the above, nor is the Boxster.

A G35c or S2000 (a more fair competitor) are far prefereable to that Boxster. Booo. The Pepper and the Boxster are to Porsche what the ML and the C-Klasse Coupe are to Mercedes: Entry-level junk. They do nothing for brand imagine, and let's face it...Porsche is half machine, half amazing...half product, half-brand image. They're just poser, I think. Either go all the way, or go home.

Last edited by SecPole14; 09-23-04 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-23-04, 05:10 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Not a bad looking car, but you got to be under 6 feet tall to fit in the thing comfortably...you'd think the Germans could build a car for taller people, Asian car manufacturers at least have an excuse...and if I had $53K to spend...I would spend it on this one...I would rather get a used 911.
Old 09-23-04, 05:41 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

I'm not that great at driving a stick-shift quickly yet. It's been proven by those who can that the Forester turbo will own the Boxster.
And there are cars that can own the Forester Turbo too I absolutely love the Forester Turbo, but my point is if you take any given car, you will find something else that is cheaper and faster. Since 1948, Porsche has NEVER been known as being a "bang for the buck" car manufacturer, so I wouldn't expect that from them.

I'm not just talking about looks, because it does look the part. However, when I think of Porsche, I think of expensive, exclusive, world-beating sports cars. The Pepper is none of the above, nor is the Boxster.
That would rule out the 944 as being a "real Porsche" as well... but I've yet to talk to ANYONE who said the 944 isn't fun as hell to drive. I wouldn't mind owning one myself.

But anyways, the 944 and Boxster are not the same car.. my only point was that the 944 wasn't the "bread and butter" model of the lineup when it came out either, but that doesn't mean it's not a great car.

And please... wait for performance figures before stouting that your Forester Turbo can whoop this new Boxster. No hard feelings, that's what forums are for, to argue, right?

p.s.- the new Cayenne Turbo will have 500 hp - a 50 hp upgrade from last years - and will easily run circles around countless sports cars out on the market. And it's not cheap either.... So the only reason you don't like the Pepper is because it is not a car, even though it is, as you would say, "Expensive, Exclusvie, and World-Beating"?

Last edited by Davtown; 09-23-04 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-23-04, 05:48 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

It's not a 911, but I still like it, looks great in yellow & should handle & perform respectably too.
Old 09-23-04, 07:41 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Attila
And there are cars that can own the Forester Turbo too I absolutely love the Forester Turbo, but my point is if you take any given car, you will find something else that is cheaper and faster. Since 1948, Porsche has NEVER been known as being a "bang for the buck" car manufacturer, so I wouldn't expect that from them.
OMG

I had no idea. I'm going to try to get a refund. The salesman told me that no car could beat the Forester.

But if you're talking about 0-30 then no production car can beat the Forester. Not the Enzo, not the Porsche GT, nothing.

My Forester cost $23K. I don't think you can buy a new car for cheaper that is faster in stock form. In fact, I can objectively say that criticising a vehicle like the Forester is absolutely ridiculous, considering the value and features for the money.

That would rule out the 944 as being a "real Porsche" as well... but I've yet to talk to ANYONE who said the 944 isn't fun as hell to drive. I wouldn't mind owning one myself.

But anyways, the 944 and Boxster are not the same car.. my only point was that the 944 wasn't the "bread and butter" model of the lineup when it came out either, but that doesn't mean it's not a great car.
Didn't one flavor of the 944 have a DSM Starquest derived 2.5L 4 Cyl. engine? Yah, that's cool. It's even more cool that the Cayenne V6 is a VW motor. Mmm, nice one Porsche, way to go.

And please... wait for performance figures before stouting that your Forester Turbo can whoop this new Boxster. No hard feelings, that's what forums are for, to argue, right?
No way! So you're telling me there will ALWAYS be someone out there that's faster??

p.s.- the new Cayenne Turbo will have 500 hp - a 50 hp upgrade from last years - and will easily run circles around countless sports cars out on the market. And it's not cheap either.... So the only reason you don't like the Pepper is because it is not a car, even though it is, as you would say, "Expensive, Exclusvie, and World-Beating"?
Whatever. Porsche *****d out their badge because they were in very real danger of going under without the Cayenne. Obviously, the 911 isn't good enough for people to care. Poor people don't vote, and they certainly don't buy Porsches. People would buy **** on a stick if it had a Porsche badge on it, especially Americans. If you've ever seen SPEED's show "Behind the Headlights: Barchetta" you would know why companies like Porsche (and Ferrari) are so successful. Cars have little to do with it anymore (they didn't even back then...it was all about the people). Sure they build them to be genuine track stars for the lucky few, but when someone buys a high-end exotic, the car itself is last on the list. They're buying into a new world of blind lust where the badge means more than the car. "If it's performance, it doesn't have to have a Porsche badge, but if it has a Porsche badge it has to be performance."

But there are other burning questions about Porsche. Why are they not involved in high-level motorsports anymore? Is it because most their customers could care less about actual performance? Subaru puts its money where it's mouth is. Ferrari puts its money where its mouth is. So do Honda and Toyota. And BMW and Benz. All of those companies compete in some top-tier series.

Porsche used to own Le Mans. Now they're content with the GT class while Corvettes totally fly by them. Personally, I think that's awesome. But I guess I have it all wrong. Porsche is not a healthy company, so I guess they can't afford to do all this, which doesn't help their performance image in my eyes. I guess they make pretty neat club cars though, and I guess I wouldn't mind owning a 911...

...In something Japanese.
Old 09-23-04, 09:08 PM
LexFather

Funny my girl was asking me about the Boxster just yesterday....

Why does it still look like a lil 911inside and out? I thought they were going to differenciate more?

The coupe is coming, that should be cool.

Old 09-23-04, 09:45 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 349 Likes on 225 Posts

I drove the 2002 version a month or two ago, and this is MUCH better, especially the interior.
Old 09-23-04, 09:49 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks a lot better than the current version IMO. Good stuff Porsche!
Old 09-23-04, 09:59 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Guys let's keep this thread friendly and on topic about the Boxter please.
Old 09-23-04, 10:32 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not feeling those wheels, somebody give me an S2000 or Lotus Elise please
Old 09-24-04, 12:24 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I've never really liked the Boxster, and this isn't helping me...especially the price. Like stated above, if this had the EXACT fit and finish, engine, handling, everything but was built by an American/Japanese company it would not sell. Some people love owning Porsches, but not spending all of the money. For that amount of money I would be all over an Elise, C5 Z06, C6, G35c/350Z. They're all comparable performers, and IMO, they all look better.

James

Quick Reply: Auto Salon Paris 2004: New Porsche Boxster & Boxster S