Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Your thoughts on Audi

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-04, 01:52 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like Audi. The A8 with it's powerful engine, nice shape, luxury, sport, AWD, would be my PERFECT car...if it only had Lexus reliability. If the '04 LS had AWD and was a bit more sporty, that would be perfect. I know several friends with A4's, and I think their interior is decent, exterior is stylish, and AWD is always a plus. My major gripe inside is the funky sunroof controls with the turn dial.

The S line Audis have always been catchy to me. I have a friend with an A4 (TT model), and it is a great car inside and outside, as well as performance. If you've never heard a new 4.2L V8 S4, I suggest you do ASAP, it sounds phenominal IMO for a German built V8.

The RS6 is of course a beast and due to its rarity, AWD ability, and negligible performance difference, I'd take it over an E55 (flame suit on).

Also, I thought many, if not all, newer Lexuses were OBDII as well...anyone?

James
Old 09-29-04, 01:56 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

DSG gearbox from audi is amazing technology.

S4, and A8L are my favourite.

Audis are very decent cars.
Old 09-29-04, 02:20 PM
roguenode
Pole Position

Also, I thought many, if not all, newer Lexuses were OBDII as well...anyone?
I think they are OBDII. But, unlike vw/audi, we don't have a cheap software package that will read all of the ODBII measuring blocks for our cars via a laptop or palm. AFAIK, the only way to read OBDII info from our cars is using dealer equipment. Which is very expensive, or at least that's what the service mgr at my dealer tells me.

I'll agree with the other posters who gave the new A8L props. Audi's latest offerings have been impresive. I hear we (aka, the US) will possibly get the a3/s3 platform. I like the idea of an s3 as a fun autocross/2nd car.
Old 09-29-04, 02:45 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

We will be getting the A3/S3 I think. The A3 first for sure. There was an article in C&D about it, giving it pretty high praise. I personally don't like the hatch look.

James
Old 09-29-04, 04:14 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default audi

I think it's very hard not to like the A8. If you don't, just look inside one. You don't even have to get in, just look...hard. Then watch it move. It glides but sort of powerfully. That's hard to do.
The A6 also is luxurious but has lacked a little horsepower of other teutonic beasts in the same class. Looks very classy to me.
The A4 looks cool also. I considered buying an S4 four years ago. It felt nice to me. The seats were firm but when you weigh 270 you need firm. The interior was more sporty but it should have been since it was an S4. I thought the car was fantastic.
What bothers me about Audi...it's German. That's good for solid, safe, powerful and stately...teutonic. It's bad because it's going to have reliability issues.
Old 09-29-04, 05:23 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

audi makes some excellent cars. the tt looks nice, a4 is great for modding, and the rs6 is a phenomenal car. it's just that it doesn't have the appeal of a bimma, a benz, or "da lex." c'mon on, "lexus lx four and and half bullet proof glass tints if i wants some a$$" "sim simma who got the keys to the beema?!" the name audi just doesn't work. "howdy i bust rhymes in an audi..." point is, the hip-hop industry is very influential in today's car market as it is apparent in some companys having standard 20 inch rims and in-car dvd electronics. whether or not you're into the whole urban scene, it is still the most popular and it has given cars like the escalade and the lexus their appeal. think of them as ghetto or drug dealer cars if you want, audi just can't match their poplularity.
Old 10-01-04, 10:50 AM
MY GS300
Lexus Test Driver

I am not a fan of Audi.

I test drove the 2004 S4 and I did not like it at all.

Audi =

-Donald