Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Howard Stern goes to Sirius Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-04, 09:51 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Howard Stern goes to Sirius Satellite Radio

Is Lexus on board with XM or Sirius? I am currently a subscriber of XM Radio but when Stern hits the airwaves come Jan 2006, I definitely will be switching to Sirius perhaps sooner.

Lexus take note. You need to work with Denon (I think they are currently the hardware manuafacturer of Lexus' Radio and Navigation Systems) to produce a unit that can accept either satellite company.
Old 10-06-04, 11:12 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sirius has way better stations i have researched them both but iam going to go with the siruis and now that stern is going to be on there that is a added bonus !!
Old 10-06-04, 02:50 PM
steveo56
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The are owning XM. Sirius already has the NFL,NHL,MLB as well as college football and Hoops.
Old 10-06-04, 03:52 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Ah, what's the NHL? No Hockey Left? It sucks that they are bailing on the '04-05 season. I'm glad Stern is going to Sirius, though. He sounded really happy about it on his show this morning.
Old 10-06-04, 03:55 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Default Re: Howard Stern goes to Sirius Satellite Radio

Originally posted by looknow12
Lexus take note. You need to work with Denon (I think they are currently the hardware manuafacturer of Lexus' Radio and Navigation Systems) to produce a unit that can accept either satellite company.
I think the current OEM HW mfgr is Fujitsu (maker of Eclipse). My new Eclipse head unit nav software is just like the new LS430.

Edit - oh, and I hope it's Sirius ready because I'm signing up. Huge Stern fan.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-06-04 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-06-04, 04:13 PM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

right now i dont have that and i just listen to him on the reg airwaves....but im thinking this xmas i might be upgrading to sirus radio cuz i love howard and i always listen to him on the way to school and stuff. PS anyone know prices for that?

~ Stella
Old 10-07-04, 07:37 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Now the question is: Will Lexus support Sirius?

Last edited by looknow12; 10-07-04 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-07-04, 11:55 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That's certainly an issue if you are to buy a Lex in the future. For those of us that already own one, the easiest option is a plug and play Sirius unit added onto our existing stereos. Here's what I did on my SC:

Admittedly not as pretty as a modern integrated head unit, but it does the job in my 12-year old car,and is easily reversable if the hardware changes.

Things might change with the Stern deal, but for now, the best deals can be had by getting Sirius hardware and service thru the "Friends & Family" referral program, so contact with me with a PM when you are ready- I can help save you some money (plus, I love talking about Sirius- the best "mod" I ever made on my car).
Old 10-07-04, 01:28 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
That's certainly an issue if you are to buy a Lex in the future. For those of us that already own one, the easiest option is a plug and play Sirius unit added onto our existing stereos. Here's what I did on my SC:

Admittedly not as pretty as a modern integrated head unit, but it does the job in my 12-year old car,and is easily reversable if the hardware changes.

Things might change with the Stern deal, but for now, the best deals can be had by getting Sirius hardware and service thru the "Friends & Family" referral program, so contact with me with a PM when you are ready- I can help save you some money (plus, I love talking about Sirius- the best "mod" I ever made on my car).
I currently have an XM Radio installed in my GX470. Now that Stern has selected Sirius, I will definitely switch. What I don't like about aftermarket systems connected to Lexus Systems is the only solution is via RF Modulator. Ther sound quality is horrible, IMO.

Last edited by looknow12; 10-07-04 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-07-04, 01:47 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

I just read the FAQ section on Sirius' web site and here's the list of auto makers that provide Sirius radios from the factory.

2. Will new vehicles have SIRIUS already built in?
SIRIUS has agreements to install AM/FM/SAT radios in Ford, Chrysler, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, Volvo, Mazda, Dodge, Jeep®, Volkswagen, Audi, Nissan and Infiniti vehicles.
Old 10-07-04, 06:12 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Your comment that the only solution is via RF/FM Modulator is wrong.

Plenty of us use cassette input (such as my SC400 and ceboyd's SC430) , and those that are more ambitious can tap into the CD inputs, just like those that are integrating iPods into the factory stereos.

Oh, and there is also the SIRSWB, which patches into the existing AM/FM antenna cable, allowing direct input for static-free FM reception.

And I am not clear on why you feel the need to quote my entire post when you enter your own post. My posts are boring enough the first time- why you making people read them twice?
Old 10-07-04, 08:28 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

I'm a huge stern fan.

BTW, this needs to be in the club house.

-Anthony
Old 10-08-04, 04:41 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
Your comment that the only solution is via RF/FM Modulator is wrong.

Plenty of us use cassette input (such as my SC400 and ceboyd's SC430) , and those that are more ambitious can tap into the CD inputs, just like those that are integrating iPods into the factory stereos.

Oh, and there is also the SIRSWB, which patches into the existing AM/FM antenna cable, allowing direct input for static-free FM reception.

And I am not clear on why you feel the need to quote my entire post when you enter your own post. My posts are boring enough the first time- why you making people read them twice?
I'd be happy to learn how to punch into the CD Inputs. I have a GX470 and this topic has been completely exhausted. But if you have a link that would be great. Even with the Rear Seat Entertainment System, to connect to the rear audio inputs you need to use the rear remote control and that's not easy from the fron seat.

My XM Radio is wired to the AM/FM atenna and it sounds horrible. You have to turn up the levels to match existing CD volume. But moreover, the dynamics of the audio is just not there. Hopefully this is not just Satellite Radio, but you don't seem to get the frequency range you do on CD or even tape.
Old 10-08-04, 04:44 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Default Reuters:Stern deal may help Sirius get its radios in cars

My post was originally regarding Radio Systems in cars. I do believe this is a car chat item. Here's an article which speaks about Toyota's Satellite radio possible future.

RPT-Stern deal may help Sirius get its radios in cars
Thu Oct 7, 2004 06:07 PM ET
(Repeats with no changes to headline or text)
By Poornima Gupta

DETROIT, Oct 7 (Reuters) - Sirius Satellite Radio's (SIRI.O: Quote, Profile, Research) deal with controversial radio host Howard Stern should help convince more automakers to offer its subscription radios as an option in their vehicles, analysts said on Thursday.

Many automakers, like Ford Motor Co. (F.N: Quote, Profile, Research) and Toyota Motor Corp. (7203.T: Quote, Profile, Research) , have yet to make satellite radio widely available as an option in their vehicles. Sirius rival XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. (XMSR.O: Quote, Profile, Research) currently has Toyota testing its radios in some vehicles.

Stern, the popular "shock jock" whose raunchy humor raised the hackles of federal regulators and commercial broadcasters, may help Sirius with the Japanese automaker, which has not yet signed an exclusive deal with XM radio, said Kit Spring, analyst with Denver, Colorado-based Stifel Nicolaus.

"The Stern announcement increases the likelihood that Ford goes ahead with a factory install program... and could be potentially announced at the Detroit auto show in January," Spring said in a note to clients.

Ford, the second-largest U.S. automaker, said it was looking at offering Sirius radio as a factory-installed option in future models. Ford dealers currently install the radio in about 11 models if customers request it.

The installation of radios in new cars is seen as a key growth area for both Sirius and XM.

Sirius, which agreed to pay Stern $500 million to switch to the satellite radio beginning 2006, lags behind XM in subscribers and exclusive ties with automakers. XM has a head start in auto subscriptions with General Motors Corp. (GM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) , the world's largest automaker, offering XM receivers as an option on most new cars.

"We believe the automakers and consumer retailers will now make a stronger commitment to the Sirius brand," said David Kestenbaum, analyst with IRG Research in a note to clients.

DaimlerChrysler's (DCXGn.DE: Quote, Profile, Research) Chrysler Group, which offers Sirius radio in most of its top-selling 2005 model-year vehicles, said Stern's decision will boost the popularity of the option.

"We would expect Howard Stern's move to Sirius to be very positive overall and to be a boost for Sirius subscriptions in some of our more useful vehicles such as Jeep Liberty," said Jack Withrow, Chrysler Group's director of vehicle entertainment and communications.

Chrysler Group is "bullish" on the potential of Sirius to lure consumers, Withrow said.

Sirius, which currently has about 600,000 subscribers, is expected to add 3 million subscribers from Stern's 12 million-strong listeners, according to analysts. Stern is ranked No.1 in 46 large markets across the United States.

Sirius said it will make Stern's show part of its $12.95 monthly service.