Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Nah this car isn't any different than your average Toyota. Just an L on the hood"

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-04, 01:09 AM
e43Guy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mclaren

Most luxury brands are based quite heavily on a lower car
Lexus=Toyota
Acura=Honda
Infiniti=Nissan
Originally posted by babyGS3

Mercedes=Chrysler

nutn wrong with that..
None of the Mercedes cars are based on Chrysler platforms. Chrysler started to make cars now using some of the MB platforms ( Crossfire for example is an old SLK R170 ). You can say that Lexus=Toyota, becasue it is basicly a rebadged toyota, but MB isn't Chrysler.

Last edited by e43Guy; 10-10-04 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-10-04, 04:52 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by e43Guy
None of the Mercedes cars are based on Chrysler platforms. Chrysler started to make cars now using some of the MB platforms ( Crossfire for example is an old SLK R170 ). You can say that Lexus=Toyota, becasue it is basicly a rebadged toyota, but MB isn't Chrysler.
i always wondered what the deal was with those two

thanks for telling me
Old 10-10-04, 05:07 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by T.L.W.
i always wondered what the deal was with those two

thanks for telling me
You didn't realize that T.L.W.!

Mercedes will never use Chrysler parts in their models. Just imagine what would would happen to
MB if people found out they did! Not that Chrysler parts are bad, it's mostly about perception. Chrysler,
on the other hand, will continue to borrow from Benz, but only to a certain point and only on upper scale models (like the Crossfire).
Old 10-10-04, 05:16 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by mclaren
Thats Audi.

Most luxury brands are based quite heavily on a lower car
Lexus=Toyota
Acura=Honda
Audi=VW
Infiniti=Nissan
Cadillac=Chevy
Linccoln=Ford

I don't get what the big deal is. I don't have a kitten when someone calls my Acura a Honda.
I know that VW's luxury brand is Audi. I just wanted to use Benz as an example because like BMW owners, they think their cars are so superior. I related them to an upscale "VW" simply because they're both German. Just because MB & BMW are their own parent companies doesn't make them better than Lexus. I don't know why people would think that.

BTW, in your list Cadillac is built by GM. It's not really proper to state Chevy since they're just another division of GM. Also, most luxury cars aren't simply based on a "lower car". Most models are built from the ground up as luxury models. Only entry level "luxury" models are sometimes based on platforms from lower models.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 10-10-04 at 05:22 AM.
Old 10-10-04, 06:25 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
Think MKIV Supra owners are ashamed to own a Toyota?

the name lexus was created because Americans are superficial and love labels. You're driving a Toyota Aristo. I drive (drove) a Toyota Soarer.

What's in a name anyways?
Exactly
Old 10-10-04, 07:32 AM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

I think its pathetic...I remember on another board, somebody said a Lexus was an "overgrown" Toyota. Naa, ***** 'em all...they're just too jealous that Lexus is the market leader and they just can't find anything to b*tch about so that's just their lame excuse.
Old 10-10-04, 08:51 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
the name lexus was created because Americans are superficial and love labels. You're driving a Toyota Aristo. I drive (drove) a Toyota Soarer.
I've seen this point of view espoused here so often like it's gospel truth. In actuality it's only part of the story, and a small part at that. The bigger piece of the puzzle is that Toyota realized in order to compete at the high end of the market, their customer service had to live up to the quality of the product. Trying to bring hundreds of Toyota dealers up to their extremely high standards would have been culturally difficult and financially untenable--you simply can't give every Corolla buyer the same free perks that you give those paying three to four times as much. Creating the Lexus brand was a very visible outward symbol not just to the marketplace but also to those actually involved in the U.S. that this was something different, something BETTER than Toyota. In Japan, the entire concept of customer service is handled much differently than here in the states, so they didn't need a major improvement. No one in the world is more label-conscious than the Japanese, so don't fall into the trap of thinking we superficial Americans just needed a different name on the same product!
Old 10-10-04, 09:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally posted by lexusondubs
iam sorry but i do not agree i PAID FOR THE LEXUS NAME !!!!!!!
Don't worry....you didn't waste your money. Regardless of what the techincian said, there ARE significant differences between Lexus and Toyota products. For instance, take the Land Cruiser and the LX470. While they may look more or less the same on the outside, the LX470 is far more sophisticated under the skin.....it has a chassis and suspension system can be raised or lowered either manually or automatically to compensate for road conditions, driver entry / exit, etc.... Similiarly, the Camry and ES330 may share the same platform but the ES is FAR more luxurious inside, with beautiful burled walnut paneling all over the interior and a whisper-quiet ride.....even quieter than the Camry's. And Lexus products have what is called "Shift-Shock Control"...Toyotas, with the possible exception of the Avalon, don't. This greatly smooths out the jerk that you often get when you shift into gear with a cold engine and fast idle. It does this by momentarily nicking high gear automatically for less of a power jerk...then to first in split-second stages. And, of course, Lexus products have a 6 year / 70,000 mile drive train warranty....standard. Toyotas don't. I could go on and on, but you get the picture.
Old 10-10-04, 09:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally posted by JLSC4
You didn't realize that T.L.W.!

Mercedes will never use Chrysler parts in their models. Just imagine what would would happen to
MB if people found out they did! Not that Chrysler parts are bad, it's mostly about perception. Chrysler,
on the other hand, will continue to borrow from Benz, but only to a certain point and only on upper scale models (like the Crossfire).
Mercedes might be better off if it DID start to use some Chrysler parts, even if Chrysler hardware tends to be on the flimsy side. We all know that Mercedes (and Volvo) makes some of the best roll cages in the world. Their unibodies are built like tanks......I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting otherwise. But Mercedes, in the last several years, has been putting some real junk, and I mean J-U-N-K, on their cars for electronics and hardware. It has gotten so bad that the factory is actually taking some cars back from customers to retrofit them with more conventional hardware. So even some of the Chrysler parts might be an improvemant in some aeas.
Sorry I got off topic, ( Toyota vs. Lexus ) but I thought this was an important point.
Old 10-10-04, 09:58 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by lexusondubs
iam sorry but i do not agree i PAID FOR THE LEXUS NAME !!!!!!!
Err dude, this might come as a news flash to you, but you are driving a Toyota, whether you thought you paid for the Lexus name or not. In fact, Lexus' famed reliability, quality and sheer beauty are all owed to the Toyota brand, R&D and ingenuity. In Japan, your Lexus would be put to shame by the amazing kinds of Toyotas that are driving around Tokyo streets.

Heck, even the gargantuan van Toyota Alphard has a nice Japanese female voice that welcomes you everytime you unlock the door, automatically opens the electric sliding door, turn on all courtesy lights, light up all the cameras and DVDs, just as how you'd command a well-trained dog.

Let me see a Lexus that can do that.
Old 10-10-04, 10:32 AM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

jtanoyo1, are you located in Japan?
Old 10-10-04, 10:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

My Lexus is a Toyota, & I'm proud of it, the best built cars in the world !!
Old 10-10-04, 11:40 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
In Japan, your Lexus would be put to shame by the amazing kinds of Toyotas that are driving around Tokyo streets.
Many foreign members living in Japan and other parts of Asia bring this up quite frequently, and it's becoming annoying.

I don't think Lexus is easily "put to shame" by anything, certainly not other Toyotas. You make it sound so cut-and-dry.
Old 10-10-04, 02:12 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by wantAnewLex

I don't think Lexus is easily "put to shame" by anything, certainly not other Toyotas. You make it sound so cut-and-dry.
Maybe not so cut-and-dry,, but the Japan versions of our Lexus (Like Lexus GS VS Toyota Aristo, or Soarer VS SC) Alsways seem to have more features than our USDM Lexus versions like folding mirrors and other neat little things. They also get better turbocharged motor options as well. They also have the Toyota Crown that is not even imported to the US. Nobody should be ashamed to be driving an upscale Toyota (Lexus) since it is the car itself that makes it what it is and not the name. I have no problem accepting the fact that my Lexus cars are simply higher end Toyota cars. No big deal.
Old 10-10-04, 02:33 PM
LexFather

I just think it's hilarious. I mean, even if the cars are NAMED Toyota, the cars are built to the SAME STANDARDs as being badged a Lexus. A 70k LS 430 is a 70k Celsior for instance.

With BMW selling the compact and now 1 series, the Benz Smart cars and A-class disaster (the new A is much better), there is now a Chrysler Badged Benz Van (a Benz van they simply slapped badges on) sold here. It's all redundant at this point.

I will say what ALARMS me the MOST is luxury cars built here in America. Because sadly, these cars are built subpar to their home country cars.
Acura TL/CL
BMW Z3/X5
Benz ML
Infiniti QX56

Which is ODD as the Camry and Accord are built in the USA but some of the best quality cars out.

I noticed, Lexus chose to build the RX is CANADA and not the USA. CLEARLY there is a REASON for this.

So badges mean nothing. I am concerned about where the car is built.

Quick Reply: "Nah this car isn't any different than your average Toyota. Just an L on the hood"