Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Nah this car isn't any different than your average Toyota. Just an L on the hood"

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-04, 02:55 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I just think it's hilarious. I mean, even if the cars are NAMED Toyota, the cars are built to the SAME STANDARDs as being badged a Lexus. A 70k LS 430 is a 70k Celsior for instance.

With BMW selling the compact and now 1 series, the Benz Smart cars and A-class disaster (the new A is much better), there is now a Chrysler Badged Benz Van (a Benz van they simply slapped badges on) sold here. It's all redundant at this point.

I will say what ALARMS me the MOST is luxury cars built here in America. Because sadly, these cars are built subpar to their home country cars.
Acura TL/CL
BMW Z3/X5
Benz ML
Infiniti QX56

Which is ODD as the Camry and Accord are built in the USA but some of the best quality cars out.

I noticed, Lexus chose to build the RX is CANADA and not the USA. CLEARLY there is a REASON for this.

So badges mean nothing. I am concerned about where the car is built.
Amen. x985478887632

Originally posted by CK6Speed
Maybe not so cut-and-dry,, but the Japan versions of our Lexus (Like Lexus GS VS Toyota Aristo, or Soarer VS SC) Alsways seem to have more features than our USDM Lexus versions like folding mirrors and other neat little things. They also get better turbocharged motor options as well. They also have the Toyota Crown that is not even imported to the US. Nobody should be ashamed to be driving an upscale Toyota (Lexus) since it is the car itself that makes it what it is and not the name. I have no problem accepting the fact that my Lexus cars are simply higher end Toyota cars. No big deal.
No. They're trying to make it sound like the JDM Toyotas are worlds better due to better NAV systems, etc. Not better body structure. Not better materials. Not better craftsmanship. THOSE are the things that make a difference.

Can we help it that our government has a strangle-hold on consumers that makes a real hassle for companies to import engines like the 2JZ-GTE? It's great and dandy that Indionesia doesn't have such stumbling blocks in its way...No need to cut down on US Toyotas/Lexus.

Yes, the Crowns are great cars. However, if you tool around the Japanese website, you'll find they are designed by the same engineers using the same materials and, in most instances, the same components and sub-systems as "lesser" Toyotas. Made in the same factories, too.

Lexus owners, I think, can be entitled to having elitist views when talking about a company like Acura or Infiniti, but having this attitude of, "Oh, we get something better...YOUR Toyotas aren't as good as OUR Toyotas" is really more than annoying...we're well aware other places get nicer goodies than the US...no need to bring it up over and over...Intra-clan elitism is not good, and it's really quite sad.

Just so you know, in case you don't, Crown models are made in the same factories as RAV4s.

Last edited by SecPole14; 10-10-04 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-10-04, 03:02 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times ive been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

hey man i think that was Jordan's best ever commercial!

CEO
Old 10-10-04, 03:29 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by THE_CEO

CEO
I got the poster too Great commercial. I also like the one about "tell me I am older, etc"

Old 10-10-04, 03:33 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by THE_CEO

CEO
In 1997, the greatest basketball player ever admitted in a Nike commercial that he wouldn't be where he is today without all of his mistakes. Jordan, in his walk through the crowd and security guards to get to the locker room before a game, recounts all his errors. "I missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed."

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/...6/1509936.html

Old 10-10-04, 03:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
Err dude, this might come as a news flash to you, but you are driving a Toyota, whether you thought you paid for the Lexus name or not. In fact, Lexus' famed reliability, quality and sheer beauty are all owed to the Toyota brand, R&D and ingenuity. In Japan, your Lexus would be put to shame by the amazing kinds of Toyotas that are driving around Tokyo streets.

Heck, even the gargantuan van Toyota Alphard has a nice Japanese female voice that welcomes you everytime you unlock the door, automatically opens the electric sliding door, turn on all courtesy lights, light up all the cameras and DVDs, just as how you'd command a well-trained dog.

Let me see a Lexus that can do that.
We are talking about here in the U.S., not Japan. Obviously we Americans cannot control what Toyota / Lexus sells in their home country, but here in the U.S. there ARE significant differences in the two makes. That is not an opinion....that is a fact. See my first posting on this subject listing some of the major differences. You are correct, however, that a lot of Lexus quality (and Scion's, for that matter) stem from their being Toyota divisions..........same as with Honda / Acura and Nissan / Infiniti. But look at the major quality and reliability ratings from the major organizations.....( J.D. Power, Consumer Reports, Edmunds.com, etc.....) Almost without exception, Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti dominate the top 3 positions, even more so than their less-expensive corporate cousins.....though Hyundai has made enormous strides lately and is seriously challenging the better Japanese makes now.
Old 10-10-04, 05:01 PM
gmac1337
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell all the guys know my car is a glorified camry but it doesnt bother me. I mean it doesn't make the car any worse. But girls dont know that, all they see is LEXUS and there all over you. I know i know, if you need a car to pick up girls, you dont have any game, but hey it just makes life easier for me.
Old 10-10-04, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by gmac1337
Hell all the guys know my car is a glorified camry but it doesnt bother me.
Depends on what you mean by "glorified". (See my earlier posts). An ES330, at the very least, is a VERY glorified Camry, if that's the way you want to put it. It's like comparing a Cadillac Escalade with a Chevy Tahoe or Suburban.
Old 10-10-04, 06:41 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

In 1997, the greatest basketball player ever admitted in a Nike commercial that he wouldn't be where he is today without all of his mistakes. Jordan, in his walk through the crowd and security guards to get to the locker room before a game, recounts all his errors. "I missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed."

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/...6/1509936.html
Hey i knew i had good taste..thanks for confirming that...hehe!

CEO
Old 10-10-04, 07:35 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by mmarshall
Depends on what you mean by "glorified". (See my earlier posts). An ES330, at the very least, is a VERY glorified Camry, if that's the way you want to put it. It's like comparing a Cadillac Escalade with a Chevy Tahoe or Suburban.
I agree.Well this is where LEXUS has made tremendous strides compared to competitors. The ES maybe built off the Camry but THEY SHARE ALMOST NOTHING YOU SEE!. The exteriors are all different and more importantly the INTERIORS.
In comparison, look at the DISCONTINUED I35 and Maxima. Hardly anything changed.For both generations.
The ES has seperated itself from the Camry GREATLY.

Old 10-10-04, 07:36 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by gmac1337
Hell all the guys know my car is a glorified camry but it doesnt bother me. I mean it doesn't make the car any worse. But girls dont know that, all they see is LEXUS and there all over you. I know i know, if you need a car to pick up girls, you dont have any game, but hey it just makes life easier for me.
I agree, the name "Lexus" does this.

Old 10-10-04, 07:49 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Iceman
No one in the world is more label-conscious than the Japanese, so don't fall into the trap of thinking we superficial Americans just needed a different name on the same product!
Then why no Lexus until this past year?

Originally posted by Iceman
I've seen this point of view espoused here so often like it's gospel truth. In actuality it's only part of the story, and a small part at that. The bigger piece of the puzzle is that Toyota realized in order to compete at the high end of the market, their customer service had to live up to the quality of the product. Trying to bring hundreds of Toyota dealers up to their extremely high standards would have been culturally difficult and financially untenable--you simply can't give every Corolla buyer the same free perks that you give those paying three to four times as much. Creating the Lexus brand was a very visible outward symbol not just to the marketplace but also to those actually involved in the U.S. that this was something different, something BETTER than Toyota.
Americans wanted to be pampered by a different brand name, better treatment... but not a better car. Cold hard fact: A lexus here is a toyota there.

Yes there is a logistical side, but look at scion -- very often it's just a corner of a Toyota dealership's showroom. It's a label, it's special treatment... it's not the car.

Oh yea, and why did Toyota roll out that sludge engine program for both Lexus & Toyota if they treat their customers so differently?

As far as features go, Soarers YEARS ago had backup cameras, active suspensions, TVs in car, Hydraulic suspension, and so on. The Q45 created a stir by having a backup cam in its 02 model.

I don't see why this bothers people.

This one townie said to me once "nice toyota!"
I replied, "I know! Isn't it!?"

I just think it's hilarious. I mean, even if the cars are NAMED Toyota, the cars are built to the SAME STANDARDs as being badged a Lexus. A 70k LS 430 is a 70k Celsior for instance.

So badges mean nothing. I am concerned about where the car is built.
Old 10-10-04, 08:30 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by JLSC4
We should reply to these comments with "well your Benz is nothing more than a fancy VW".
Maybe we should reply with "well your Benz is nothing more than a fancy German taxi" lol

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
Americans wanted to be pampered by a different brand name, better treatment... but not a better car. Cold hard fact: A lexus here is a toyota there.

Oh yea, and why did Toyota roll out that sludge engine program for both Lexus & Toyota if they treat their customers so differently?

As far as features go, Soarers YEARS ago had backup cameras, active suspensions, TVs in car, Hydraulic suspension, and so on. The Q45 created a stir by having a backup cam in its 02 model.

I don't see why this bothers people.

This one townie said to me once "nice toyota!"
I replied, "I know! Isn't it!?"
Thank you SupraCoup3! This was exactly my views on it. The only way I see how Lexus differs from Toyota is from the perks and priveliges that Lexus owners recieve (mostly all the ritzy features that come with the Lexus Encore program, you guys get that in America yeah?), everything else is still the same. Even Toyota technicians service Lexus cars (at the dealership where mum brings her Previa).

The only things that differ a Toyota from a Lexus are some minute features and the badges (I mean yeah fold back mirrors are handy, but you can always push them in yourself!). Someone mentioned the differences between a Landcruiser and an LX470. Remember, the LX470 is known as a Landcruiser Cygnus in Japan, with much more fruit as well. Soarers have always been a hot topic when it comes to the Toyota vs. Lexus badgewar (over here any way) and put simply... if the car was ever exported to Australia as a mass import then it would be badged as a Lexus, however as it was a grey import (low volume import) it's known as a Toyota. Besides, it's fun seeing someone bragging about their Lexus (for example) and we rock up in a Toyota that has more fruit. It doesn't matter what badges are on the car as they're both built at the same factories, and they are all built under Toyota's quality control.

You guys will most likely know that we don't have the Acura brand here in Australia, everything is badged as a Honda (I'm not sure on the names of Acuras over there) but here the only cars I've seen with Acura badges are Civics lol Infinity was sold here for a while but then they ditched that.. they jsut started selling more S15 200SX's (Silvias) hehe.

Lexus isn't a better car than a Toyota, they're all Toyotas, the only thing that might elevate the Lexus brand higher than Toyota is the customer service that's offered to Lexus owners. You should see how Toyota dealerships react when a grey import Toyota comes in! You'd think that Lexus dealers would be snobby if a normal Toyota came in!

Jose
Old 10-11-04, 02:31 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Soarer_25GTT

Thank you SupraCoup3! This was exactly my views on it. The only way I see how Lexus differs from Toyota is from the perks and priveliges that Lexus owners recieve (mostly all the ritzy features that come with the Lexus Encore program, you guys get that in America yeah?), everything else is still the same. Even Toyota technicians service Lexus cars (at the dealership where mum brings her Previa).

I agree. It is all the same. The way I see it my Lexus was built by Toyota by Toyota employee's. It is nothing more than a Toyota with an upscale Lexus badge. I would have bought the my RX330 and SC400 regardless if it was under the Toyota or Lexus name. I just like what the cars had to offer. Same with my Acura cars. They were good cars so I bought it. I try and remove all my badging for a cleaner look anyway so the name definately means nothing to me. For me, I like the car and am happy with the car, not the name on it.
Old 10-11-04, 06:14 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish it wasn't 7 in the morning so I could be more articulate but here it goes anyway:

First off, the ES is not a camry. Its a ES.When you buy a ES you don't just get diffrent badging, you get more options, you get diffrent styling both outside and in, you get diffrent perks at the dealership, and yes; you get the name. In the begging it may have been very very simalar but the ES has distanced itself greatly from the Camry. With the new headlight and taillight change on the ES and the Camry the 2 have grown even farther apart. Saying "ya its just a camry" is only reenforcing what alot of people think about Toyota. My buddys QX4 is not a pathfinder, its a QX4 and its very obvious its diffrent.

In the USA you can't get a Toyota Aristo, or a Celsior, or a Harrier, or a Soarer, Altezza in the US. But you can get a Lexus GS, LS, RX, SC, IS. The body style the options and the name make it a Lexus. Same with any other brand like that.

Also, after getting out of a 2 and a half year realationship and being single again I think its safe for me to say... that to girls, its not just a rebadged Toyota, its a Lexus

And to all the Mercedes drivers shooting there mouths off and calling Lexus's just Toyota's... They can lick the sweatiest part of my *****. If I wanted a car with bland styling, horrid reliabitly, and a brand image thats synonymous with rich stuck up ******, then I would've bought a CLK instead of a GS.
Old 10-11-04, 06:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What some of you guys keep forgetting ( and I see that this thread has generated a lot of discussion ) is that while Toyota and Lexus products are based on the same platforms and often share drivetrains, in most cases there are significant differences in luxury and convienence features, ride, trim, sound insulaton, warranty, and customer service. I've already touched on some of these in earlier posts, like the Shift-Shock Control. With the possible exception of the Toyota Avalon, which was really designed to be a Lexus to start with when management then decided to make it the Toyota flagship, if I was driving blindfolded, I could tell the average Toyota from the average Lexus just from the feel, ride, transmission shifting, noise level, trim feel, etc.... and several other factors.

Quick Reply: "Nah this car isn't any different than your average Toyota. Just an L on the hood"