Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Someone FINALLY gets the point. Audi quits power race for S and RS ranges

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-04, 12:04 PM
LexFather

Default Someone FINALLY gets the point. Audi quits power race for S and RS ranges

NOTE POST DATE IS 2004!!!

Audi quits power race - - Source: Autocar

[color=DarkRed]
Audi’s S and RS ranges will no longer offer more power than the equivalent models from AMG or BMW M-Power. Stephan Reil, the General Manager of Development at Quattro Gmbh, the company responsible for Audi’s RS models, claimed that, ‘continuing to increase the power outputs is not the way forward. With more power the car normally gets heavier and then you need more power again.’

Taking a sideswipe at AMG, which recently launched the 603bhp S65 AMG, Reil said ‘with a rear-wheel-drive car, all you succeed in doing is lighting up the yellow traction control sign. Our drivetrain allows us to transfer the power to the road.’

Reil said the Quattro Gmbh brand will develop cars that combined high power outputs with ‘outstanding driving dynamics and road handling.’ Audi is planning to adopt a new naming structure (SQ3 to SW8) for its sporting models.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-24-08 at 08:25 AM.

Old 10-11-04, 03:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default About time !

Thanks for posting this, 1SICK.....you made my afternoon. This is something that is LONG overdue. In the last two weeks here in the DC-Baltimore area SEVEN kids have been killed and more than twice that number hospitalized, some critically, from drag-racing. One of the cars wrecked was a brand-new GTO just barely broken in. Another kid ran a Mustang GT right into a tree at high speed just a couple of blocks from my neighborhood...drag racing. He was killed and took two others with him.
Now granted, a lot depends on the skill of the driver. A professional racing driver like Shumacher or Jeff Gordon obviously can handle a lot of situations that a 16-18 year-old kid can't, particularly drinking on Friday or Saturday night.
The constantly escalating HP and torque figures in new cars, while OK for a skilled driver an an appropriate environment, are becoming disaster for young kids...at least on public roads. And no matter how much the factory puts in, these kids always want MORE.

I'm glad to see that Audi is finally sending a signal that enough is enough. Even over and aside from safety reasons, you can't just keep stuffing more and more power in indefinately. You wind up with the law of diminishing returns, to the point that all you do is burn up tires.......assuming the traction / stability systems are turned off. Of course, Audi S-cars, being Quattro AWD, have several advantages in traction and handling that pure RWD cars don't. And, as noted, Mercedes is perhaps the worst offender here.....the HP / torque-to-weight figures in new AMG's are just getting ludicrous. M-B is also spending so much money on horsepower in their new cars that there isn't enough left over for decent quality control, either....many posts have been made in the forums here of the poor quality control on new M-B products.

I may just sound like I'm venting here, but I still think this is long overdue.
Old 10-11-04, 05:09 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: About time !

Originally posted by mmarshall
I still think this is long overdue.
As do I. I'm very glad to hear this, finally a car company understands.

Much props to Audi

Toyota never really got involved in the crazy HP war... the brand new GS430 will still have 300 HP as well.... but there are lots of rumors of an in-house tuner for Toyota/Lexus similar to Mercedes' AMG division. I wonder what Toyota's plans are going to be?
Old 10-11-04, 09:06 PM
e43Guy
Pole Position

AMG new N/A v8 600+ hp, can't wait

GO MB
Old 10-11-04, 09:21 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

A naturally aspirated V8 making 600 hp by MB? Do you have a link? I'm not calling BS...yet, I just wanna see where you got that from. They've just gotten into using FI for AMG cars, why would they switch back?

James
Old 10-11-04, 09:28 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now its time for toyota/lexus to WAKE UP!!!!! props for audi, but it pisses me off about lexus.
Old 10-11-04, 10:59 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

I'll call BS, there is no way a streetable NA V8 can make 600hp.
Old 10-11-04, 11:14 PM
e43Guy
Pole Position

Originally posted by LexusLuver
I'll call BS, there is no way a streetable NA V8 can make 600hp.

Old 10-12-04, 06:56 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by southernsc
now its time for toyota/lexus to WAKE UP!!!!! props for audi, but it pisses me off about lexus.
Toyota/Lexus has never got into this HP war in the first place. Toyota/Lexus had seen it before Audi and stopped it there after the Supra MKIV. But Toyota/Lexus hp rating is very limit and wil not go into crazy hp# just like the AMG for sure. They will make more hp, but conservative.
Old 10-12-04, 07:06 PM
mclaren
Rookie

Default Re: Someone FINALLY gets the point. Audi quits power race for S and RS ranges

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
[COLOR=DarkRed]
Now I know where you get most of your material from
Old 10-12-04, 09:30 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by VVT-i
Toyota/Lexus has never got into this HP war in the first place. Toyota/Lexus had seen it before Audi and stopped it there after the Supra MKIV. But Toyota/Lexus hp rating is very limit and wil not go into crazy hp# just like the AMG for sure. They will make more hp, but conservative.
I just feel that lexus should have the option for a sports package that offers more, im not saying it has to be their focal point, just some more options to give to the people. Every luxury line i can think of has some kind of sports package except for lexus, i just think they are missing out. L-sportline would be a nice comeback with aero kits and engine upgrades.
Old 10-12-04, 10:15 PM
LexFather

Default Re: Re: Someone FINALLY gets the point. Audi quits power race for S and RS ranges

Originally posted by mclaren
Now I know where you get most of your material from
If your talking about Gavriil at Acura.CL.com, I did get this from him. Many times we seem to get the same articles (as SexySC) here.
Props to Gavriil for finding this.

Old 10-13-04, 12:04 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

If the automakers themselves don't limit themselves, our rediculous air quality control laws will. I'd like to see an automaker make a 1000 hp car that will pass emissions in cali and federal fuel efficiency laws

Last edited by verylost; 10-13-04 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-13-04, 06:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by southernsc
[B]I just feel that lexus should have the option for a sports package that offers more,]
That's EXACTLY the problem that Audi is trying to address...more, more, etc.. Sometimes you have to just draw a line and say enough is enough. Lexus apparantly is not going to get into an unlimited HP race like M-B and BMW. The 300 HP GS400 is plenty for just about any normal need you could come up with.
Old 10-13-04, 06:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry...I meant the GS430.

Quick Reply: Someone FINALLY gets the point. Audi quits power race for S and RS ranges