Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

need opinions... did i get screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-04, 06:43 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need opinions... did i get screwed?

okay so i drive a 2000 infiniti i30... and i got rear ended.... i also had a dent in the front fender that also hit part of the side of the front bumper from prior to the accident... i took it to the body shop.. which my friend has a connection to and they said they would take the money from the rear and fix the front instead because the front is more noticeable... so i agreed... so i hear from the insurance company that the bill was $2400... and i get my car back today and they did not even get me a new front bumper, only a new fender... i know its 2400 to the insurance company but for 2400(even at this shop which is a high end shop) dont you think they could have replaced my front bumper as well?
Old 10-15-04, 07:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Can't really answer just from what you told us. The cost and repairs of front bumpers varies with the vehicle.....things like fog lights, type of impact-absorbing system, complexity of the paint job involved, type of attachments to the body, subframe, etc...... Also, just what did you mean by them "taking money from the rear and fixing the front" ?.............That could mean almost anything. And what do you mean by "the front fender hitting the bumper PRIOR to the accident"? That sounds to me like part of THE accident.
I'm not trying to be evasive here....we're here to help you and give opinions and advice.....but you are going to have to be a little more specific about how this accident happened, just what kind of damage your car has, what the insurance company settled on, and just what they repaired....and how they repaired it..........before it is clear whether you got taken or not.
Old 10-15-04, 07:56 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Originally posted by mmarshall
Can't really answer just from what you told us. The cost and repairs of front bumpers varies with the vehicle.....things like fog lights, type of impact-absorbing system, complexity of the paint job involved, type of attachments to the body, subframe, etc...... Also, just what did you mean by them "taking money from the rear and fixing the front" ?.............That could mean almost anything. And what do you mean by "the front fender hitting the bumper PRIOR to the accident"? That sounds to me like part of THE accident.
I'm not trying to be evasive here....we're here to help you and give opinions and advice.....but you are going to have to be a little more specific about how this accident happened, just what kind of damage your car has, what the insurance company settled on, and just what they repaired....and how they repaired it..........before it is clear whether you got taken or not.
i got rear ended. the fender and front bumper was from a previous incident where my mom hit a pole coming out of a parking spot. the rear bumper and supports, etc were damaged from being rear ended. heres the point... it seems that i got charged(or rather the insurance company did... but it was supposed to be a good deal through a friend) 2400 dollars to replace and paint a front driver side fender. my car is white pearl which i do understand is expensive to paint... but 2400 for one panel and paint seems crazy... the fender must cost between 200 and 400 dollars... i dont believe paint and labor would cost 2 grand... even with markup
Old 10-15-04, 08:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well if it's 2400 just to fix the appearance of the front fender then it's too much
Old 10-15-04, 11:00 PM
C-Train
Lead Lap

they don't have to fix it unless there's actually a crack in the bumper. i know from experience. i got in a 3 car pileup w/ me in the middle, so the front was all kinda messed up, but tthey decided to fix it rather than replace it. my mom, the owner of the suv complained nonstop but we couldn't do anything about it. it's bs i know but there's no way around it really.
Old 10-16-04, 01:08 AM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

the bumper is cracked... but thats not really the issue... its the fact that out of the 2400 dollars given to the shop(through a personal friend) i got a fender fixed only... and a detail on my car... but they detail every car that they work on. i am going back tomorrow to ask... i know its the insurance company's money but i should have gotten a lot more for the money IMO.
Old 10-16-04, 06:24 AM
C-Train
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Dynasty SC
the bumper is cracked... but thats not really the issue... its the fact that out of the 2400 dollars given to the shop(through a personal friend) i got a fender fixed only... and a detail on my car... but they detail every car that they work on. i am going back tomorrow to ask... i know its the insurance company's money but i should have gotten a lot more for the money IMO.
oic. i couldn't really tell from your original post. probably just different insurance policies? anyways, yea you are getting screwed, ask them how the money was spent cause surely 2400 is a lot for just a fender.
Old 10-16-04, 08:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes....if all you got for $2400 was a fender and repaint.....even for white pearl...you (or the insurance company) got shafted. If it is their money, I'd discuss this with them. Even if it is not coming directly out of your pocket now, insurance fraud costs us ALL in the long run with higher premiums. You say your friend has an in with this shop....what does he / she think?
Old 10-16-04, 09:16 AM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

well a lot of business comes through the shop from him and his family.... so if it turns out that i got screwed, the shop probably loses a lot of business as a whole... because we also have close relations to a mechanics shop that sends a lot of business their way as well. he says that i should definitely ask them for a breakdown of what was done... and if it doesnt check out, we're going to have issues. probably going to look for another shop.