Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

05 Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-04, 01:59 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Tacoma

Domestic slayer
pt I

This one is built here in the USA to avoid any import tariffs

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...ml?id=20041015

starts at $13,415
5M
4cyl 2.7L
164 horsepower and 183 lb-ft. of torque

$21,675
PreRunner V6
Double Cab
5spd auto
4.0L V6
245 horsepower and 282 lb-ft.

cant wait till TRD slaps a blower on this bad boy.

Good work Toyota

Last edited by LexusLuver; 10-20-04 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-20-04, 02:07 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't the chassis pretty closely related to the 4Runner? In that case I think they could have fit the 4.7L i-Force V8 in there, which now has around 270 horsepower and 330 ft-lb of torque. That would have made the Tacoma X-Runner (the sports edition model) even nicer... add a blower on top of that and with that light of a truck, current generation lightnings could be in some serious trouble! (then again the new model lightning coming out in the next year or two would still put it to shame)
Old 10-20-04, 02:19 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

This just in, no new model Lightning. I guess its just X-runner and Ram SRT-10.
Old 10-20-04, 02:25 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Threxx
Isn't the chassis pretty closely related to the 4Runner? In that case I think they could have fit the 4.7L i-Force V8 in there, which now has around 270 horsepower and 330 ft-lb of torque. That would have made the Tacoma X-Runner (the sports edition model) even nicer... add a blower on top of that and with that light of a truck, current generation lightnings could be in some serious trouble! (then again the new model lightning coming out in the next year or two would still put it to shame)
Toyota wanted the thing to corner and brake, keeping it in harmony and balanced.
No need to enter a useless hp war, Toyota doesn't need those halo-vehicles to sell.

Like magneto said no new Lightning for now, the new Cobra will be pushing over 500hp anyways.
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101065

It will be interesting watching it stomp the C6 Z06 in a dragrace

Last edited by LexusLuver; 10-20-04 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-20-04, 02:35 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

WHOAAAAAA

No Lightning??? That just makes me cheery. Anyways, the X-Runner is gonna be in the low 20k range with the 4L V6 making the power stated above, along w a 6 speed manual. I think they could afford to make a TRD model from the factory, maybe around 30k with a blower and some extra goodies like bigger wheels/tires, NAV, HIDs, etc. That would be a nice addition. Maybe an X4-Runner...?

Overall, I really like the new Tacoma and the versatility (performance and off road) are gonna really make this a great overall truck.

EDIT: You are joking about the new Cobra beating the new Z06, right? Sorry, I had to catch my breath from the laughing.

James

Last edited by jet864; 10-20-04 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-20-04, 02:50 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LexusLuver, the power output on the Cobra is not as set in stone as the Z06 is, but it's fairly safe to assume that both will be putting out right about 500 horsepower.

With that said, the C6 is already very light weight and significantly lighter than the new DEW98-based Mustang (2005 model), the Z06 from what I've been reading, like the previous gen Z06 is going to be even lighter than the regular model, but this time they'll be taking it to even more of an extreme. The Cobra on the other hand has historically always been a bit heavier than the regular Mustang GT or at best, roughly the same weight. So it's safe to say that based on that logic, that the Z06 will be significantly lighter than the Cobra, and thus if their power output levels are similar, the Z06 should still have the advantage. Still a lot of speculation, but I'm just saying I think it's even more speculation to assume that the Cobra will be taking out the Z06.

What's even more interesting is that the Z06 was initially planned to use electromagnetically actuated valves rather than a mechanic cam. This will not end up making it to the release model, but from what I understand, it is planned to be released as a mid-model (2-3 years after the initial launch) for the Z06. Think about it... no set cam profile. It basically equates to variable valve timing, except instead of having only two cam profiles to choose from, the valve timing can be adjusted instantly and infinitely on the fly base on any given conditions. Totally dynamic and totally computer controlled. Furthermore this gives the computer the ability to electronically deactivate cylinders for added fuel efficiency when the extra cylinders are not needed.

This should also allow for much less questionable reliability down the road than Daimler-Chrysler's current Hemi design where they use mechanical cylinder deactivation. If I'm not mistaken, electromagnetic valve timing would also allow for the discontinuation of the timing belt which would mean if something to do with the timing system were to malfunction, the worst that would happen would be you'd just have to repair that one cylinder/valve. Whereas before with timing belts and interferance type engines, you could have a veritable train wreck on your hands! The timing belt or even one valve goes south and the top end gets destroyed... and that's if you're lucky and nothing else flies loose and shoots through the block.
Old 10-20-04, 04:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Re: 05 Tacoma

Originally posted by LexusLuver
Domestic slayer
pt I

This one is built here in the USA to avoid any import tariffs

The engines will be built in a brand-new plant in San Antonio, TX, built specifically to produce truck engines.
Hop on down there and turn in your resume if you're looking for a job....Toyota may still be hiring.
Old 10-20-04, 04:51 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jet864

EDIT: You are joking about the new Cobra beating the new Z06, right? Sorry, I had to catch my breath from the laughing.

James
No, the current Cobra is just a fraction slower than a C5 Z06 stock. Add some bolt-ons and it will spank the Z06. 450-500rwhp is a reality w/these cars.

I expect the new Cobra to be much faster in a straight line.
Old 10-20-04, 05:08 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Threxx
LexusLuver, the power output on the Cobra is not as set in stone as the Z06 is, but it's fairly safe to assume that both will be putting out right about 500 horsepower.

With that said, the C6 is already very light weight and significantly lighter than the new DEW98-based Mustang (2005 model), the Z06 from what I've been reading, like the previous gen Z06 is going to be even lighter than the regular model, but this time they'll be taking it to even more of an extreme. The Cobra on the other hand has historically always been a bit heavier than the regular Mustang GT or at best, roughly the same weight. So it's safe to say that based on that logic, that the Z06 will be significantly lighter than the Cobra, and thus if their power output levels are similar, the Z06 should still have the advantage. Still a lot of speculation, but I'm just saying I think it's even more speculation to assume that the Cobra will be taking out the Z06.

What's even more interesting is that the Z06 was initially planned to use electromagnetically actuated valves rather than a mechanic cam. This will not end up making it to the release model, but from what I understand, it is planned to be released as a mid-model (2-3 years after the initial launch) for the Z06. Think about it... no set cam profile. It basically equates to variable valve timing, except instead of having only two cam profiles to choose from, the valve timing can be adjusted instantly and infinitely on the fly base on any given conditions. Totally dynamic and totally computer controlled. Furthermore this gives the computer the ability to electronically deactivate cylinders for added fuel efficiency when the extra cylinders are not needed.

This should also allow for much less questionable reliability down the road than Daimler-Chrysler's current Hemi design where they use mechanical cylinder deactivation. If I'm not mistaken, electromagnetic valve timing would also allow for the discontinuation of the timing belt which would mean if something to do with the timing system were to malfunction, the worst that would happen would be you'd just have to repair that one cylinder/valve. Whereas before with timing belts and interferance type engines, you could have a veritable train wreck on your hands! The timing belt or even one valve goes south and the top end gets destroyed... and that's if you're lucky and nothing else flies loose and shoots through the block.
I dont see a camless engine happening. GM is no longer a leader in the automotive world. They tried cylinder deactivation for yrs, Honda just released one for their V6 Accord. It even incorporates noise cancelling sound waves.

There have been attempts before, F1 banned any use over a decade ago to prevent some teams from spending the $$$ to design a system.

Reliablilty could be worse, while a racing engine gets rebuilt, perhaps for every race. These engines would be required to run for 10+yrs.

Some diesel engines have been attempted w/camless engines. Reliablility and cost issues stopped them dead.

Last edited by LexusLuver; 10-20-04 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-20-04, 07:37 PM
03rxn300
Rookie

SAW ONE TODAY LOOKS GOOD