Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Question about Radar Detectors

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-04, 02:13 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the response from everyone. I think that I will probably get both and test them myself and see which is best for me.
Old 10-25-04, 10:27 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Originally posted by mmarshall
Don't know where you plan to be driving.....but keep in mind that they are illegal in several states, including mine....VA. In fact, here in VA, not only do the police (primarily the State Police) have detector "detectors"(and they WORK), but there are no warnings, you are fined, and the detector is impounded. Same in a couple of other East Coast places here.......but it looks like you'll be doing most of your driving out West.
really? because i thought radar detectors are 50 state legal.... radar jammers are illegal in many states.... but detectors do not emit anything and are therefore legal. and i live in california... ive never heard of a radar detector detector.. and ive never heard of anyone being fined for having a radar detector unless it was a radar jammer...
Old 10-25-04, 10:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Dynasty SC
really? because i thought radar detectors are 50 state legal.... radar jammers are illegal in many states.... but detectors do not emit anything and are therefore legal. and i live in california... ive never heard of a radar detector detector.. and ive never heard of anyone being fined for having a radar detector unless it was a radar jammer...
no they are not legal everywhere. in VA, DC, and another state i know it's highly illegal and you will really be asked to run over your detector literally

and jammer is illegal anywhere
Old 10-26-04, 03:48 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl
no they are not legal everywhere. in VA, DC, and another state i know it's highly illegal and you will really be asked to run over your detector literally

and jammer is illegal anywhere
I heard about that too....not sure how true it is. But I remember reading about a VA trooper telling the guy to place his detector in front of his front tires and run it over and put it in reverse and back up over it.
Old 10-26-04, 08:35 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: passport

Originally posted by hawk
huh?
the passport SOLO S2, as i recall, is cordless, but the 8500 is not....at least the 8500 X50 i used to have wasn't. i do think that the S2 is a tad more expensive because it's cordless.

also, earlier i said to run the vin number on any V1 on ebay....umm, i meant serial number

oh yeah, i didn't know they were illegal in several states....i thought it was just VA, DC, and Canada.....but i'm sure a search on google will tell you.

good luck
sorry, i don't even know what i own, it is the s2. my bad
Old 10-26-04, 09:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Cadd
I heard about that too....not sure how true it is. But I remember reading about a VA trooper telling the guy to place his detector in front of his front tires and run it over and put it in reverse and back up over it.
yeah i remember reading that on some forums before too. how sad
Old 10-26-04, 09:49 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Guys, take it from the folks who live (or who have lived) in VA - IT IS ILLEGAL to have radar detectors both in VA and in Washingont DC. There are signs when you enter the state, troopers and cops who will pull you over for it, etc. Anybody who wants to debate that has never been there (or at least never paid attention).

There are definitely radar detector detectors that are actively used by VA state police too (I know, I got pulled over when they first got 'em in 1987 or 1988) .

Oh - and the search suggestions folks posted are great

Here are some of the threads you might have found in case you didn't search.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=16649
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=52508
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=100415
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=117243

SELOC thread where Jaime posted about both
http://www.seloc.net/modules.php?nam...er=asc&start=0

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-26-04 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-27-04, 01:54 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

I dunno about other states, but here in CA some counties make it so that detectors are illegal in that particular county. . . no need for signs on the road either. You can and will receive citations. I don't know if they can apply their law to interstate highways, but if you are in on the county/city roads, I believe you are fair game.
Old 10-27-04, 12:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by dj.ctwatt
I dunno about other states, but here in CA some counties make it so that detectors are illegal in that particular county. . . no need for signs on the road either. You can and will receive citations. I don't know if they can apply their law to interstate highways, but if you are in on the county/city roads, I believe you are fair game.
which counties you talking about?