Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Prepping a showcar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-04, 03:44 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Prepping a showcar?

Alrighty...

My car's gonna be in a car show down here in Sydney at the end of the month (with my group)... I'm just wondering how you guys prepare for them? What can make a car stand out?

Ultimately I'm really going there just to represent the group and to get on the dyno (hopefully with a boost controller fitted up), but I would like to have a shmick looking whip for the show I can't afford much else for the show... my bonnet's not even gonna be up lol.

TIA

Jose
Old 10-26-04, 07:13 AM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

clean everything! make sure exterior is perfect- wash, wax, clean wheel wells, clean wheels, pollisish mufflers/ tips, wax and polish exterior, etc. Then pop the hood and start cleaning, there are engine bay cleaners, and de-greasers that can be used for this, get some toothbrushes, some rags, some scrunges (rough sponges), and make that engine bay shine. The more attention to detail you show, then more attention from onlookers you will recieve. Also, on interior, be sure its clean and shiny, clean the dash, clean the windows, etc.

you get the idea
Old 10-26-04, 09:21 AM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or be lazy and pay someone to do a full detail job on your car...
Old 10-26-04, 09:38 AM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by sc400texas
clean everything! make sure exterior is perfect- wash, wax, clean wheel wells, clean wheels, pollisish mufflers/ tips, wax and polish exterior, etc. Then pop the hood and start cleaning, there are engine bay cleaners, and de-greasers that can be used for this, get some toothbrushes, some rags, some scrunges (rough sponges), and make that engine bay shine. The more attention to detail you show, then more attention from onlookers you will recieve. Also, on interior, be sure its clean and shiny, clean the dash, clean the windows, etc.

you get the idea
yup, he said it, you can get some points for cleanliness
Old 10-26-04, 09:55 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know the condition of your paint but generally for the exterior I would wash, clay, polish/glaze and apply a couple coats of wax depending on the brand.

Make sure to hit up the Detailing Forum for specifics
Old 10-26-04, 11:39 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wrote this up for DaveGS4 a while back, not sure where it got posted, but here's my copy of it for you;

Prep for the show;
The last time you park the vehicle before the show, there are a few items that need to be addressed.

* Paint should be completely clean and as swirl free as possible. Most show veterans will tell you that It¡¦s best to polish, wax or use a glaze a week, or at worst a day or two BEFORE you show. If you polish the day of the show. the chances you¡¦ll leave residue from the wax or polish will increase, as well as the possibilities of streaking, which can happen as a result of high humidity. You won't be able to tell in your garage in most cases, but bright sunlight will bring it out. If you wax or glaze a few days prior, you can go over the car with some quick detailer each so that the day of the show you¡¦ll be ready. Use of a hand glaze before a show will help increase paint gloss and help hide swirls. It's easily washed off after the show. Many serious show cars use only a glaze and no wax, not the best thing for a street driven vehicle that sees sun and rain and bird droppings etc. but it's a plus to add for a show and remove before you wax or use a sealant again.
* Engine compartment. Should be clean and dressed. Wipe any excess silicone off. The compartment should look new, not wet or oily. Don't forget the underside of the hood and hood liner, if applicable.
* Wiper blades & cowl area. If the arms are dingy or missing paint, replace or respray with satin black.
*Don't forget the wheel wells. Clean them with detergent and a brush, rinse, dry and then apply some of the tire shine product of your choice.
* Ditto on the inside of your rims. Some rims are open enough to allow you to clean them pretty well from the front with a wheel brush. Others you will have to remove them from the car if it¡¦s a real picky show. Clean your brake calipers .
* Exhaust tips. Polish.
* Headliner. If your windows are open people will look in and up. Your carpets should be immaculately clean an vacuumed. Pay special attention to the valley between the front buckets and along the console. A tapered crevice tool on a shop vac is good at reaching this area. Don't forget your door jambs.

*Clean glass while facing them towards the sun. If you clean them in shade or your garage, the streaks and missed spots will rear their ugly head on the way to the show. Wipe horizontally on the inside and vertically on the outside so you can easily spot where your streaks are.
* A front end bra just for the highway trip to the show may save you some stone chips. Blue 3M painter's tape works in a pinch-easy to remove but protects for the highway trip.

Things to bring to the show;

1). Numerous microfiber and or 100% cotton terry towels for use with quick detailer. If the weather is iffy, you¡¦ll need to be prepared to dry the car in the event of light drizzle, so a chamois or ¡¥Absorber¡¦ type drying product is necessary also.

2) Quick detailer. For both the paint and the wheels. You¡¦ll usually have some light brake dust on your rims just from the trip to the show. A once- over on the paint with the Q/D will remove any road dust and dirt also.

3) Tire shine product & brush. Bring a bristle brush to remove any sand/dirt you encounter on the way into the show. Since some shows are on grass/dirt fields , you¡¦ll find this indispensable to use before you apply your tire dressing. There's nothing uglier IMO than shiny/ dressed tires with dirt and sand all over the sidewall.
TIP if you spray on tire dressings: Cut out a circle of thick cardboard or thin wood to the exact diameter of your rim. You can put a small **** or handle in the middle to allow you to hold it against the rim while you spray. This will serve to completely cover your nice clean wheels as you spray your tire product. If you wipe on, bring your sponge applicator. Always apply your tire shine products BEFORE you quick detail the rest of the car, because you¡¦ll get some silicone on the car , especially if you spray. You can remove it during a quick detail after.

4) Glass cleaner. Wipe the outside of the windows horizontally and the inside vertically, you'll see where your streaks are occurring easier that way.

5). Touch up paint. It¡¦s not uncommon to get small rock chips on the way to the show. Be prepared.

6). 12 volt hand vacuum . Just in case you or your passengers got out of the car at a stop along the way and brought some dirt into the car. You can also cover your carpets with old towels before you leave home, just in case.

7). California Car Duster. Good for removing light dust during the show.

Last edited by Guitarman; 10-26-04 at 11:44 AM.