Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anybody else SICK of the Harley fad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-04, 12:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm hesitant to criticize today's Harley riders for other reasons, too. Unlike the "Easy Rider" and "Mad Max" days of the '50s, '60s, and early '70s when the average Harley rider was a scumbag and the Devil on wheels, many of today's Harley riders are either respectable professionals like doctors, lawyers, buisnessmen, etc.... or military veterans who have put their lives on the line for our country and deserve respect. Yes, the Sonny Bargers and the gangs ( Hell's Angels, Pagans, Outlaws, etc...) are still out there, but they are becoming fewer and fewer in number and no longer represent the average Harley biker.
Old 11-01-04, 01:27 PM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Anybody else SICK of the Harley fad?

Originally posted by mmarshall
Many bike owners say they HAVE to do this..... the noise that the bikes make without mufflers keeps them from getting run over by people who are driving without paying attention.
I've been meaning to post this too. I've got friends in the industry, and who ride, and they view the loud exausts, not only as a way to sound cool, but a safety feature so others in cars can hear them.

As for who is riding them these days, I have friends who work at BigDog Motorcycles, not sure if anyone knows this company yet. They aren't competing with Harley, but they make big motorcycles and choppers, and compete more with brands like Indian. Anyway, they say most of their customers are professionals, who are usually middle aged and fairly wealthy (these bikes aren't cheap!), there are still the hardcore guys who ride these though, and some even work there at the shop.
Old 11-01-04, 01:41 PM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man so much to say. tha harley thing is not a fad they have had a great following for over a hundred years. they will probley do so for many more. what some of yall seem to be saying is you have to look like a biker to drive a harley so dose the mean i have to have my hair spiked up with a tight *** fade. rockets only sell kids under thirty in the majority. but harley are bought buy every one mostly by older men but buy kids too.try to ride a rocket at 50. i guess im a harley guy. maby its because my dad has had one most of my live.

Last edited by TRULUX; 11-01-04 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-01-04, 05:02 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Harley's

Recently, I was admiring a Harley asking the rider all sorts of questions. I do want a bike one of these days. Anyway, I asked him how fast he's taken it up to....100mph? 120?
The guy says it won't go nearly that fast. I said, WHAT.....it makes all that noise pretending to be powerful and it ain't fast?
That's the trip, all that noise for no go...only show.

Sometimes it's irritating but ya gotta admit....it sounds waaay cool!
Old 11-01-04, 06:52 PM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Harley's

Originally posted by reggiek
Recently, I was admiring a Harley asking the rider all sorts of questions. I do want a bike one of these days. Anyway, I asked him how fast he's taken it up to....100mph? 120?
The guy says it won't go nearly that fast. I said, WHAT.....it makes all that noise pretending to be powerful and it ain't fast?
That's the trip, all that noise for no go...only show.

Sometimes it's irritating but ya gotta admit....it sounds waaay cool!
That's weird that he said it wont go that fast. I wonder if it would or not. I know of a BigDog getting up to 140, but you didn't hear that from me

I think he could have gotten it faster too
Old 11-01-04, 07:43 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

but ya gotta admit....it sounds waaay cool!
Really? They sound like unmuffled riding mowers to me! Now a Ducati- that sounds pretty cool...

The other vehicle that sounds like COMPLETE @ss: Subaru WRX. They all have fart-can mufflers, and sound like an old bug with a stinger - or worse yet, also sounds like a Honda with two plug wires missing. Flat fours sound TERRIBLE!!!!!
Old 11-01-04, 09:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man i don't know anyone else, but i really hate those harley drivers...... honestly, i don't know what's so nice about their exhaust, they are just nothing but loud to me. granted, this is very subjective, and there are people who think my exhaust is loud anyway. but i just think they are too loud and not nice......

oh and yeah, my bedroom window is facing the road
Old 11-02-04, 06:22 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

I think the crotch rockets tick me off more. I cant remember how many times I've been driving at night and one goes by me full throttle and scares the crap outta me with that awful sound they make. Dont get me wrong I love a lot of the sport bikes but some just sound like garbage. I do agree some harleys are wayyy too loud. I'm not a big fan of them, I like choppers myself.