Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anybody else SICK of the Harley fad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-04, 04:25 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Anybody else SICK of the Harley fad?

Maybe I'm getting old, but I've AGAIN been awakened this morning by the sound of what seemed like 30 Harleys driving by (or were they in my living room?). Holy crap- how do they get away with making all that noise? I think the cops cut them slack becuase they all ride Harleys when they are off duty...

I especially like when I am talking to somebody in my car- at a traffic light- and one of these bad-@ss Orthodondists on a chopper pulls up next to me and repeatedly revs his engine. Thanks dude! You are SO cool! I know your ancient-tech, oil-leaking POS won't idle unless you rev the crap out of it, but how about investing in a muffler? Really... if you've heard one Harley, you've heard them all. Big deal.

Don't get me wrong- I generally have respect for bikers, and I watch vigilantly for them on the road- but these guys (especially the $100K+ tax bracket hell raisers) hae made it difficult for me to ever WANT to own or ride a bike again. Maybe a Ducati... but NO WAY a harley or a chopper- that's a stigma I can do without.

On the positive side, I guess I can appreciate the fact that they are riding something that gets 25+ mpg, and something that I can see around- not some giant, gas-guzzling Excursion or H2.

Off my soap box now... and interested to see the responses on this one!

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 10-30-04 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-30-04, 04:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

it is interesting to see certain types of people on these bikes these days Burly men with tats and ZZ top beards drinking a Latte' and scratching themselves

"preps" with bikes bigger and better than hardcore hells angels.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 10-30-04 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-30-04, 05:32 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

Bob-

I appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into these machines yet like you, the noise factor grates on me. I don't see a reason why a highway operated vehicle needs to have an operational volume this loud. There are plenty of noise restrictions yet to exempt these.

Our only hope is that they enact some sort of sound level statues for motorcycles. A few cities I have driven through have noise restrictions posted on the highways. No truck engine braking or motorcycles may be operated between certain hours due to the proximity of residential homes.

All else fails, a little spot in Kauai will ease the tensions. A pineapple mixed drink, grass umbrella and a pleasant waitress to attend to you.
Old 10-30-04, 07:43 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by RA40

All else fails, a little spot in Kauai will ease the tensions. A pineapple mixed drink, grass umbrella and a pleasant waitress to attend to you.
How's about Maui?? We may be turning into another Honolulu, but we still got some nice, quiet spots too!
Attached Thumbnails Anybody else SICK of the Harley fad?-bigbeach.jpg  
Old 10-30-04, 08:53 PM
LexFather

Man all I can say is go back in time 10 years and invest in Harley.....

Old 10-30-04, 09:40 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

nice quiet BMW's are the wave of the Future... at least in my house anyways. My dad has a 1100R... quiet as a whisper, but hauls serious ***!!!
Old 10-31-04, 12:52 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Like mods on cars all of those overly loud Harleys have been somewhat illigaly moded - all bikes have sound level limits - from the factory. Unlike cars however, once it leaves the dealer you can do just about anything to it - there's no further checks needed the rest of its life.
All of those wannabe James Dean types will realize it's a fad and eventually move onto something else.
I'll stick to my Honda Pan European that gets 45MPG and 12s 1/4mi. while hardly making a sound.
Old 10-31-04, 10:54 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob, you should get some sleep!!!!
Sounds like you are a bit tense.
Old 10-31-04, 02:33 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

It's sad to see these poseur guys who always follow trends. My dad's got a harley and has been riding bikes since before I was born, so I bet he gets classified into the trend all the time. Oh well, nothing you can do for people that ruin things for others.

James
Old 10-31-04, 05:56 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

try having a dam neighbor with one of these bikes. its soo dam annoying. every morning when he wakes up and goes to work between 7-9 am he starts his bike up by the back of the house in his garage and drives it to the front of the house and turns it off and goes and closes the gate. then starts the engine again revs and drives off.

then when he comes home he does the exact same thing. parks infront of the gate opens the gate and drives the bike into the garage. its maybe a 5 car length from the garage to the front of the house. why can't he just push the dam bike. espeically when he comes home at 1-2 in the morning and does that crap.
Old 11-01-04, 08:28 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, we've got a couple of those rev-happy Harley knuckleheads here, too- apparently, you need to warm a Harley up for 15 minutes before leaving the house? Usually these bikes are parked in a garage next to a Range Rover , BMW, or C5 Corvette. Not exactly the profile of a 'real' biker in my book...

Reminds me of a good joke:

What's the difference between a Hoover and a Harley?

- Placement of the dirt bag -
Old 11-01-04, 08:37 AM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually more sick of the ricer mania. They think they rule the road, make as much noise as Harleys and are always reving at me even when I got kids in my car (GS).

And every Saturday night, they treat my street like it's a car show alley
Old 11-01-04, 08:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Re: Anybody else SICK of the Harley fad?

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
how about investing in a muffler?
Harleys ARE built at the factory with mufflers, but 99% of all new owners...the first thing they do when they take delivery is either ride it right out of the prep bay around to the service door and ask the shop guys to take the muffler off....or ride home and do it themselves. In most places, this is perfectly legal...there are no bike emission laws or inspections that would necessitate the use of a catalytic converter on the tailpipe, and no specific laws regarding mufflers. Many bike owners say they HAVE to do this..... the noise that the bikes make without mufflers keeps them from getting run over by people who are driving without paying attention.
I won't comment on this specifically....maybe they DO have to...maybe they don't. I don't really know.

If the noise becomes REALLY extreme, local ordinance laws sometimes come into play, but to be truthful, a lot of police departments are reluctant to shut down Harley dealerships.....the police depend on the Harley service shops to keep their Police bikes running. They won't bite the hand that feeds them.
Old 11-01-04, 11:35 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm kinda of sick of it. But Harley does have good craftsmanship. BTW, our Lexuses and Harleys share one thing in common: Denso starters and electrical parts.
Old 11-01-04, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Thumbs up No more junk

While they still don't have the quality of a Japanese bike, Harleys have come a long way in quality in the last several years........just like Korean cars. You can fill a Harley crankcase now and be reasonably certain that it will still be full tomorrow morning.

Quick Reply: Anybody else SICK of the Harley fad?