Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

No LSUV comparo should be considered complete without a Lexus!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-04, 11:28 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation No LSUV comparo should be considered complete without a Lexus!

Edmunds just put out a "2004 Midsize Luxury V8 SUVs Comparison Test". Vehicles in the review include Cadillac SRX V8, BMW X5 4.4i, Infiniti FX45, Lincoln Aviator, and Mercedes-Benz ML500.

Here's the question--why do they choose to omit Lexus, the obvious leading brand in LSUV, with GX470 clearly in the segment the comparo is made for? They didn't even mention a word of Lexus in their introduction! That's a real shame IMO.

Anyone with me on this one?

Last edited by XeroK00L; 11-01-04 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-01-04, 11:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Lexus SUV is so far ahead of the rest it would be pointless to do a comparison
Old 11-01-04, 11:38 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SexySC
Lexus SUV is so far ahead of the rest it would be pointless to do a comparison
LOL...that's a good point, SexySC!

Last edited by XeroK00L; 11-01-04 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-01-04, 11:38 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: No LSUV comparo should be considered complete without a Lexus!

Originally posted by XeroK00L
Edmunds just put out a "2004 Midsize Luxury V8 SUVs Comparison Test". Vehicles in the review include Cadillac SRX V8, BMW X5 4.4i, Infiniti FX45, Lincoln Aviator, and Mercedes-Benz ML500.

Here's the question--why do they choose to omit Lexus, the obvious leading brand in LSUV, with GX470 clearly in the segment the comparo is made for? They didn't even mention a word of Lexus in their introduction! That's a real shame IMO.

GX470 has no sport DNA in it.
Old 11-01-04, 11:41 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: No LSUV comparo should be considered complete without a Lexus!

Originally posted by DC52E55
GX470 has no sport DNA in it.
But that doesn't prevent them from including the two LSUVs that are also body-on-frame, the ML500 and Aviator, now does it?

Last edited by XeroK00L; 11-01-04 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-01-04, 11:42 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: No LSUV comparo should be considered complete without a Lexus!

yeah i just watched the video.

they did mention about lexus in the video. " GM stole interior from LEXUS"

GX or LX will be a great comparo.
Old 11-01-04, 11:50 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: No LSUV comparo should be considered complete without a Lexus!

yeah i just watched the video.

they did mention about lexus in the video. " GM stole interior from LEXUS"

GX or LX will be a great comparo.
Ahh true!! Didn't watch the video until you mention it. That line itself does put Lexus clearly above the winner.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 11-01-04 at 11:53 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 11-01-04, 12:01 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: No LSUV comparo should be considered complete without a Lexus!

Ahh true!! Didn't watch the video until you mention it. That line itself does put Lexus clearly above the winner.
r we all happy now?
Old 11-01-04, 12:40 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It's because the GX 470 > All of them.
Old 11-01-04, 04:03 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: No LSUV comparo should be considered complete without a Lexus!

r we all happy now?
Well, I'm happy now! After reading that list, I'm not pissed off anymore . No sense of comparing the GX to the other SUVS.
Old 11-01-04, 04:24 PM
LexFather

Maybe I am in a bad mode but here it is:

If you drive a SUV thinking your cool b/c it's sporty, you probably also think that life can currently be sustanined on the moon.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING. I don't care who makes it, it still is too high in the air, too heavy with poor brakes. There is nothing SPORTY about your SUV.

The GX won 4x4 of the year 2 years in a row, the LX470 is based off the Land-Cruiser, which is THE ONLY VEHICLE IN THE WORLD to have traveled in the North and South poles. That is what SUVs are for.

I'd rather these heavy things be taken to Wal-Mart and have people crusiing to the mall then some MORON trying to race a car or prove a point in his "sporty" SUV b/c MARKETING tells them so.

X5
Infiniti FX
Porsche Cayenne
X3

And any other ridiculous wanna be sports wagon I forgot to name make no damn sense. It's like Marian Jones or Dan O-brian in the Olympics competing with Pumps or High-heels.

When I get older and married with kids, my wife and Ir will have a 545 wagon.....The anti-SUV.....

Old 11-01-04, 06:24 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

I hope this means Toyota no longer lets edmunds.com review their cars.

The SRX and FX45 is based on a car unibody so it really isn't a SUV. To say it performs like one is incorrect.

I think everyone on this board knows Lexus controls the luxury SUV segment. They practically invented it w/the LX450. Lexus has nothing to prove.
Old 02-28-05, 06:57 PM
nyc11370
Rookie

Default GX470 is an Ultra Luxury Midsize SUVs

Please see the Edmunds 2004 Ultra Luxury Midsize SUVs Comparison Test

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=103624

GX470 Ranked Number 1 compared with Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Range Rover and Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI.
Old 02-28-05, 08:43 PM
Donger
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

THERE IS NO SUCH THING. I don't care who makes it, it still is too high in the air, too heavy with poor brakes. There is nothing SPORTY about your SUV.
Having driven BMW's most of my life, I had to put up with this same narrow minded view from the BMW Car Club elite as the X5 was introduced. You may think there is nothing sporty about SUV, and I would agree with you on about 99% of them. But my BMW X5 4.8is sure does a good job pretending to be sporty. As part of the BMWCCA, I've taken my 'too high, too heavy, bad brake' SUV to the track. It does very respectible - I can go through the turns as fast as any of the 5-series (except the M5), brakes as well, if not better than most any stock vehicle on the track. Even your 545 wagon (actually this was a new 545 sedan) couldn't keep up on the turns and just barely hung on the straights. All this and a tailgate to sit on when I back it up to the lake.

I wouldn't even put my GX in the same class as my X5 - they are intended for two completely different things. Howver, my 4.8is is the best sporty alternative for the over 6'5" crowd that can't fit into the little zippy cars. So get over it - some SUV's can move. I am sure Porsche is the same. The rest have their purpose elsewhere.

-----------------------
'04 BMW X5 4.8is Black/Black
'05 GX 470 Silver Pine/Gray
Old 03-01-05, 11:58 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Donger
Having driven BMW's most of my life, I had to put up with this same narrow minded view from the BMW Car Club elite as the X5 was introduced. You may think there is nothing sporty about SUV, and I would agree with you on about 99% of them. But my BMW X5 4.8is sure does a good job pretending to be sporty. As part of the BMWCCA, I've taken my 'too high, too heavy, bad brake' SUV to the track. It does very respectible - I can go through the turns as fast as any of the 5-series (except the M5), brakes as well, if not better than most any stock vehicle on the track. Even your 545 wagon (actually this was a new 545 sedan) couldn't keep up on the turns and just barely hung on the straights. All this and a tailgate to sit on when I back it up to the lake.

I wouldn't even put my GX in the same class as my X5 - they are intended for two completely different things. Howver, my 4.8is is the best sporty alternative for the over 6'5" crowd that can't fit into the little zippy cars. So get over it - some SUV's can move. I am sure Porsche is the same. The rest have their purpose elsewhere.

-----------------------
'04 BMW X5 4.8is Black/Black
'05 GX 470 Silver Pine/Gray
You have pretty much polar opposites with the execution of SUVs (luxury off-road to luxury performance). Thanks for your post.

Your tall too. I was surprised how well I fit in the X5 (6"5 as well). I guess I still don't understand the point though, when you CAN get a wagon with more cargo room and a truly driving experience than a SUV forced to be that way.

The 4.8 is as sporty as they get. I am not taking my words back but I've read some amazing things about that SUV and the Cayenne Turbo when pushed. Basically, its amazing SUVs that heavy, big can be made to handle so "well" for what it is.

Quick Reply: No LSUV comparo should be considered complete without a Lexus!